Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
good
Read the review
Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Ratings: 1,580 |  Reviews: 402
1.31/5  rDev -62.9%

This old-world style brew actually pained me physically to drink. One of the few beers I've ever had to pour out.

1.4/5  rDev -60.3%

i agree with marco, this is the worst beer ever. and it does indeed taste like parmesan cheese!

1.57/5  rDev -55.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

There was something very off-putting in the nose and flavor of this brew, akin to sugar that's been cooked down too far past the point of caramel and into acridity, combined with what I can only describe as slightly rotten Vidalia onions. Considering the ratings and the fact that I got one bottle of this in a create-your-own six pack at a grocery chain not known for its beer selection (beers kept warm, by the way, in lieu of refrigerated), I may have been bitten by the skunk bug. But considering I don't have a high opinion of any Shiner products so far, I'm willing to forego any benefit of the doubt.

1.63/5  rDev -53.8%

Not a good combo one and done

1.66/5  rDev -53%

I don't want to write too much, since I have wasted enough time with this beer.

It is an average beer with what tastes like a bad Jolly Rancher dropped in it. I'm not sure if you like fruity beer, but even if you do, this is just not good. I rarely leave a beer in my fridge, they eventually get drunk, but this didn't.

I only kept one because I wanted a friend of mine to taste how bad it was. He didn't mind it that much. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

1.86/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Can. Murky brown amber with off white head. Smell is sweet and on thick side. Taste follows. Don't really get peaches or pecans. Just sweet bordering syrupy. Have tried this twice and couldn't finish either.

1.87/5  rDev -47%

I would not bother to dis a beer just because I didn't like it but this beer crossed the line by labeling itself as a Dunkelweizen.

I was fortunate enough to live in Germany for three years. I don't claim to be an expert but Dunkelweizen was one of my top three favorite German styles and I tried it everywhere I saw it (including every example in the BJCP). This beer misses the Dunkelweizen mark in every category.

A - The color is a quite lovely ruby hue but the beer is much too clear. Dunkelweizen is traditionally unfiltered with a strong protein haze that is apparent even if you don't swirl the sediment.

S - The peach smell is pretty nice but the beer lacks all of the phenol and ester aromas that make Dunkelweizens mouthwatering.

T - I was looking forward to the peach in this beer and it was nice but a little strong, perhaps because most of the other expected flavors were missing. There is an obvious Munich component to this beer but there is little else that is found in an authentic Dunkelweizen. No banana or clove. Muted esters. No breadiness from the yeast.

M - The mouthfeel is decent but it missing the "heft" of an unfiltered wheat beer.

O - Compared to other American wheat beers and/or fruit beers I find this one to be average but I will be the first to admit that this is not my style. If Spoetzl had marked this beer as Dark American Wheat I still wouldn't like it but I would be forced to give it slightly higher marks. As it stands, the "Old World Dunkelweizen" on the box is an outright lie.

1.9/5  rDev -46.2%

Quick review - yuch! I feel bad about such a negative review, but this is probably the worst beer I have ever had. I would rather drink a Heineken and I can't stand Heineken. This is my second one and I'm drinking it a) to get it out of my refrigerator (will not chill the remaining four) and b) so I can report on it here.

I poured it in a 16oz. pint glass. The color was a dark reddish brown with more than an inch of head that almost immediately disappeared. Very good looking beer with a nice color.

The smell is definitely peachy but also almost like something rotten. The peach scent smells authentic. It doesn't smell like potpourri or anything.

The taste is sour-peachy sitting on top of something that almost tastes good. This seems like a good recipe to ruin a dunkelweizen (one of my favorite styles of beer).

The mouthfeel was medium thick with no fizzy feel to it. I did not give this beer time to warm. I just can't take the taste.

I hope if Shiner offers a Holiday Cheer next year, they experiment in another direction. I'll be sure to pick it up if I see it.

1.92/5  rDev -45.6%

peach taste over powers the brew.

1.93/5  rDev -45.3%

Pours an amber reddish brown with a fluffy brown dissipate not too long after the pour. There is no evident carbonation or lacing. The smell is very sweet. Lots of peaches and strawberries up front. Artificial candy notes actually take over the whole nose. Taste is artificial as well with candy strawberries being the highlight. Mouthfeel. A bit syrupy and with medium carbonation. not good. Drinkability is minimal. Ill finish the one and move on to good beer. Not very impressed with this one.

1.95/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

If you're a fan of peach and pecan you'll be very happy. I'm not so I didn't care for this.

1.99/5  rDev -43.6%