Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

3.7

firstprev| 1526-1550 | 1551-1575 | 1576-1600  | next → last
Ratings: 1,580 |  Reviews: 403
4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

A- Pours up a dark brown with amber highlights, with a thin tan head

S - Aroma is all peach, with a bit of nuttiness in the background

T - Slightly nutty at the start. Finishes with peach flavor. But all flavors are subtle.

M - Feels a bit thin, but highly carbonated.

D - This is a great beer. Yeah, I'll be drinking this all season long.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This new offering from Shiner, poured into a pint glass, comes out a nice reddish amber color with a dense, creamy head. The nose is very peachy (though, er, not peachy keen), to the exclusion of all else. The flavor is interesting--lots of peachiness, but not as sweet as I feared. Some nutty pecan comes through, and a light bittering hoppiness at the finish. Certainly different, and not all that bad.

I appreciate a fruit beer that isn't cloyingly sweet. This isn't a beer I'll seek out again, but I don't dread finishing the six-pack. In fact, it's quite drinkable.

3.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours mahogany color with a large beige head. Lots of sticky lace is left behind as the head recedes.
S: Definitely lots of peaches. Sweet malt with a light roasted character. Just a hint of some pecan/nutty aroma.
T: An interesting flavor of peaches, sweet roasted malt, and pecans. More pecans than were in the nose.
M/D: A medium body that is over carbonated for my tastes. Slick and oily. Smooth and easy to drink. Something that I could session.

This is different and unique. Something I would recommend. Definitely one of Spoetzl's better offerings.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Seen they had only one sixer at the store so I grabbed it as well.

Peaches in a dunkel hmm sounds interesting.

The aroma is very holiday season like with spices and fruits. Kind of like a Fruit cake in a glass.

Mouthfeel was not bad at all. it was a little sharp up front with a twang of fruit and peaches with a little bittering on the back end.

Overall this beer suprised me. I found myself enjoying it. Although I could not drink more than a few due to the big present of peaches. Not a big peach fan but the beer was tasty.

3.11/5  rDev -12.6%

Just saw this at the store today so I grabbed a six pack. Not sure if a six pack was such a good idea, though. This is a strange brew.

Poured into my Sam Adams crazy glass. Beautiful color. Bright amber/brown with ruby reds and sunlight orange hues shining through. Thin head recedes quickly into a light film over the beer. Not much lace, but man it's a pretty beer. The nose is a bit strange. Odd mix of light fruit and malt. Kinda reminds me of the old Nehi Peach soda. Definitely some peach, some faint nutty scents, and malty sweetness, but on the whole it's a bit odd. Not necessarily offensive, just odd. The taste is similar in comparison. Strange peach flavor, nutty bitterness. Mostly malt sweetness, but the strange peach flavor lingers a bit too much in the aftertaste. Bizarre. Again, not bad, but bizarre. A slight hint of smoky pepper in there too gives it a spicy bite. Mouthfeel is light but slightly creamy. Not bad.

What an odd beer, this Holiday Cheer. Not sure I'd call it a dunkelweizen, although it is, according to the brewery, a variation on their dunkel theme from a previous brew. Still, I can't see this one catching on with the mainstream. Interesting, yes, but probably a one-time brew. Glad I tried it, though, if nothing else.

firstprev| 1526-1550 | 1551-1575 | 1576-1600  | next → last