Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,635 |  Reviews: 414
3.17/5  rDev -11%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Dark peach/amber color with a decent formed head. Lacing is okay.

Super peachy and nectary with hints of white chocolate and candi sugar. Slightly nutty yeastiness. Not much else.

Tastes like a peach beer with some bitterness. No real hop showing. Malts are candied and weak with some graininess.

Semi-boring feel with a medium wetness to the body and a medium carb.

A dunkelweizen??? I get no wheat notes and only a very mild yeastiness that MIGHT be German. Nope. Call it a fruit beer and we'll talk.

2.72/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled: unk

A: Hazelnut brown with a finger of off-white foam which falls quickly to a torn sheet of the same. Excellent clarity. No lace.
S: Smells of plastic and some astringent malts. Not like.
T: Tastes sweet and like it has pecans. Some brown sugar tones. Taste far exceeds nose here.
M: Creamy. Thin. Absentee finish.
O: Well, it's okay. I would suggest to a novice to craft.

2.95/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Wish I had read the lable a bit closer before I purchased this. Did not notice the "brewed with peaches, pecans and caramel color".I thought it was a staight bavarian dark wheat.????

Dark amber with brown and red hues. A quick and thin off white cap rises and fizzles fast.

Smells mostly of peaches. Maybe some sweet caramel.

A thin, sweet malt dominates the palate, sweet peach juice and caramel pretty much round it out. A slightly dry, bitter finish.

The feel is pretty thin and subtle, decent crisp bite.

Not a terrible flavor, the sweet peach and caramel dominates. This is not exactly what I had in mind !

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.71/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a dark ruby red/brown color, with an off-white head that crackles and pops its way down to nothing in no time. Nice color, but this is my fourth bottle in a week and I've never been able to achieve much of a head on this beer. And life's too short to worry about THAT.

If this were fruit juice or soda, it would smell just fine, but I'm pretty close to being put off by the smell. It's peachy, because I've been told peaches are in this beer, but moreover I feel like I'm smelling a just-opened bottle of Juicy Juice fruit juice, if you're familiar with that stuff. Cherry, grape, peach...it's like a punch in here. The pecans this beer was also brewed with are indiscernible in the nose, as is any real beer-like quality.

Each bottle I've had has been less and less impressive to me, taste-wise. I get some pecans here, and that's nice, but there's a kind of burnt-sugar character that is unpleasant, and the peach flavor borders on nasty, not to mention overpowering, and the overall sweetness is very soda-like. A spiciness like that in various US winter warmers tries to peek through (are these the "natural flavors"?) and I don't get much "Bavarian-style dark wheat" character as promised by the label. Again: soda-like. There's a good beer in here somewhere, I swear, but as is I wouldn't ever buy another 6-pack. Finishes bitter and plastic-y and just really messy.

And again soda-like with the texture/feel...quite spritzy and tingly, also it avoids being harsh with an element of smoothness and slickness.

Dunkelweizen? Really? I wish it had struck me more like a dunkelweizen, I like a good DW. This Shiner Cheer just isn't for me.

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Extra toss-in from DeathbySexyBT.

12oz bottle poured into a goblet. Pours a crystal clear, dark ruby. No head at all; no lace. I like that color though. The nose is fruity with strong notes of peaches, and strawberry jam. This really smells like morning toast. Unexpected for the style, but it is pleasant.

Decent body. Carbonation is spot on. Finishes fine. The fruit is definitely the main player with flavors of strained peaches, more jam, cherries. I'm not getting any of the nutty quality others noted. Slightly drying on the finish. This is a decent beer, but is the style correct?? I'd just call this a Fruit Beer and be done with it.

3.49/5  rDev -2%

A curiosity here - a seasonal ale flavored with peach and pecan. Odd and not necessarily a typical cold-weather brew, but Shiner's always been dependable enough for a good tasting beer. Nonetheless, I'm not overly fond of this one. The sweet flavor is followed by a nutty finish, which sounds well enough, but this is just not one I'd purchase a 6-pack of, at least this year. Maybe next year's batch will be better?

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From winter brew tasting notes (2010): Dark amber colored with light brown head. The aroma is predominantly peaches and apricots. The taste is naturally heavy on the peaches with some nutty malt, banana bread and caramel flavors also in the mix. A peach flavored Dunkelweizen is not exactly my ideal winter seasonal but the overall flavor is surprisingly smooth and refreshing. Neat vintage label and this beer was a major let down for me - too peachy for a winter. I'd rather stick with the Shiner Bock here.

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

My first thought here is WOW! Six and a half bucks from a brewery that is meh at best, and I am very impressed. Pours a medium amber color, with a bit of a white head on top. Light to medium bodied, with a good amount of carbonation. Huge peach aroma and flavor carry the day here, along with a hint of nuts, some light brown sugar and earth. A very surprising, inviting and delicious "holiday" beer.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner