Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States | website

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Reviews: 386 | Ratings: 1,522
3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'll admit it, the label design influenced me in my choice for a mix n match six pack Saturday. I love cheesy retro design and font. The beer is good and I would buy a full six-pack again.

Appearance: Blushing Caramel color - pours an average head, barely any lacing.

Smell: Southern Holiday: Peaches, Nutmeg, "A brisk 55 degree day" Subtle essence of date or currant.

Taste: It's sweet, not hoppy, it's a gentle beer. This would be a good choice to bring to a holiday party where the crowd is partial to Bud Light or MGD. It's flavorful, but not going to scare anyone away.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thin style, perhaps I've been indulging in too many oatmeal stouts lately.

Overall: The drinkability it high for the newbie, it's be a good introductory beer for those just starting to branch away from the generic flavors of american standards. It's a great Monday after work beer.

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Head disappears quickly, lacing doesn't last for very long. Brown mahogany with red tones

S: Peaches, sweet tea.

T: Exactly as it smells. I tastes like canned peaches and tea. Hop aftertaste lingers nicely.

M: Unremarkable except the sugars I get that coat the mouth throughout.

D: Strange...not wintery at all but I could see drinking it on my porch after mowing the lawn. I don't quite understand the idea of labeling a beer "winter" unless it tastes like winter.

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%

A= Nice, solid mahogany color. It also had a nice foamy head but it disappered rather quickly and left some spotty lacing.

S= The nose had some bready malts in there and some dark fruits. It kind of reminded me of fruit cake.

T= Taste really isn't that strong like I thought it would be it's kind of toned downed compared to the nose. I just thought it would be stronger because I really picked up items in the nose easily. The peaches do come out a little bit but I really picked up on bready notes and some spices.

M= Decent Carbonation, The beer itself is a little on the thin side and is light.

O= Overall, It's not that bad but I would basically buy it for a holiday party where not a lot of people are craft beer drinkers because this beer isn't that intense. I would rather have a Sierra Nevada's Celebration in the fridge for a holiday type beer.

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into pint...

A: pours mahogany with a fizzy tan head that soon fades to nothing

S: I can immediately pick up a strong peach and nutty pecan aromas. Also, picking up a spiciness of wheat

T: caramel maltiness blends well with peach and pecan flavors. finishes with peach skins, more roasted pecans and a hint of clove, with the familiar shiner yeast, making the finish similar to Shiner Bock. good, but nothing amazing

M: foamy, medium body with a crisp drying finish

Overall, another enjoyable beer from Shiner, but as expected nothing out of this world. The peach and pecan are unique. Would be a good recommendation for a newcomer to craft brew.

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

Reviewing from notes from 11/11/10

A- dark walnut w/ a little ruby red in it, some bubbly head, left slight lacing.

S- sweet, dark fruit with some peach/apricot that tended to dominate

T- Apricot and caramel really dominated the taste here. It was sweet and maybe even a little tangy. I wasn't thrilled with how the flavors mixed.

M- Very smooth beer, about what I'd expect from a holiday brew

D- The sweetness really was a touch too much for me, it could have had a bit more balance or a little more restraint with the fruitiness

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

Nice color of ruby hued golden ale
I really enjoy the nose on this one,peaches dominate with some trace roasty malt & pecan.
Nice peachy ale flavors with the maltiness in the background & a lingering roasty pecan finish. Not at all overbearing on any of the flavors & I love the peach flavors!
Nice light mouth feel here, nothing over the top or under done. Very approuchable beer on this account.
One of, no deffinitley my favorite of the holiday ales & very good price point to boot.
Drink up for it will be gone soon!

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

It pours a clear brown/amber color with a good amount of off-white head that laces the glass.

Right off the bat you can pick up on the peaches, its pretty overpowering in comparison to the rest of the ingredients which are almost indistinguishable. There is a very, very subtle nutty/roasty quality to it.

Flavor wise, again the peaches dominate this brew. Its a medium to full bodied ale that has a nutty/roasty quality to it.

I picked up a 6 pack of these and after finishing 2, had no desire to grab a third, the peach flavor gets pretty old pretty quick and I would not say this beer is very drinkable. The peach flavor is a nice novelty, but when that novelty wears off you are left with a mediocre nutty ale.

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a red-caramel-brown with no head. It is transparent. The smell is delightfully fruity; strong notes of peaches and apricots.
The taste is quite sensual as well, but not something I would enjoy AT ALL if a beer is what I craved. It doesn't have any kind of satisfying beer character. It is a fruit flavoured beer. It should not be considered a dunkelweizen at all even if that is what the base ale is. Shiner doesn't mislabel it as they explicitly state that it is brewed with peaches and pecans. It has a very light character and high carbonation, with ripe fruit really being the dominant character. The aftertaste is a bit odd. Very dry, but not entirely unpleasant. This is a fantastic beverage if you are in the mood for something fruity and not for a traditional beer. I can't say that enough. Good stuff, though.

3.41/5  rDev -3.4%

On tap in Austin in a pint glass.

A - lovely red/brown color with little to no head or lacing. Looks very festive!

S - not much nose on it; some notes of dried fruit

T - very interesting fruity overtones, with elements of Peach or Appricot? Light bitterness and little to no alcohol

M - decent mouthfeel wih little to know carbonation. Very light

D - moderately drinkable, but due to the sweetness I wouldn't want to drink a bunch of them

Definitely a fun and interesting beer that is worth a try. Not sure I would drink a ton of them in a sitting, but happy I drank one.

3.64/5  rDev +3.1%

This holiday offering pours a rich, dark ruby-tinged brown color with a bubbly head of light cocoa foam about two-fingers high. Active carbonation bubbles and spotty lacing in the glass. Poor head retention.

The nose is like liquid peaches - very fruity, with hints of pear, honey and very subtle spices. The nose reminds me of the syrup in canned fruit more than anything.

The palate offers a very fruity punch right up front, but isn't as sweet as the nose would have you believe. There is a rather nice balance of peachy sweetness and nutty dryness going on here. I detect ever-so-slight hop bitterness and a subtle roasted malt character that counters the fruitiness of this beer rather well.

This is a medium bodied wheat beer with very ample carbonation - maybe slightly over-attenuated - and a dry, slightly bitter finish.

A very drinkable holiday beer, and a nice change of pace from the heavier "barley-based" beers of winter. I would have liked to have seen a bit more spice in the beer and just a bit less carbonation. Having said that, though, this beer exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Reddish brown color with an off white head that sticks around nicely. Fair amount of carbonation visible.

S: Nice peach aroma. Smells like it could be sweet.

T: Initial peach juice flavor gives way to a nice nuttiness. Some dark wheaty notes linger in the aftertaste. Pretty much lives up to what you would expect being brewed with peaches and pecans.

M: Pretty light and drinkable. A little bit drying on the finish.

O: Definitely enjoyable. Delicious without being over the top.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark red to brown, 1 inch off white head, not much lacing

S: Peaches are the main smell, a little bread

T: Sweet peach right up front that transitions to a malty, nutty pecan bread flavor, lingering sweetness on the end

M: Medium

O: A really nice seasonal beer with sweetness from the peach and nutty flavor from the pecans. Its like a fruit cake beer, "'Tis the season for cheer".

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

A - blood orange, little foam, mostly translucent

s - peach, raisin, yeast, esters

t - all of the above, but pecan emerges to be strongest of all. Crisp malts remind you you're still in the weizen world, but the other flavors don't really work together. Too bad, as it definitely reminds me of home (tx hill country).

M - thin, not enough carbonation

D - easily sessionable if you dig the flavor combo. Don't think I could do >2 myself.

Look: Amber; About 1 finger of off-white foam on top.

Smell: Peaches and hops.

Taste: Wow: peachy sweetness comes thru almost immediately, with the
subtlest hint of hops at the midpoint close: No bitterness. Actually quite
fun/enjoyable to drink.

Feel: Smooth; Slight creaminess.

Overall: Actually a pretty fun and unassuming little beer. Definitely sessionable,
particularly at a holiday gathering. I saw a comment about non-beer drinkers
potentially enjoying this and I totally get it. (Sort of a tamer alternative to
something like Troegs Mad Elf.)

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

Color: pours golden brown and sits a clear, deep amber with a thick head and good lacing

Smell: fresh peaches dominate with sweet strawberry shortcake and pecans in tow

Taste: aroma translates well onto palate with the addition of a slight bitterness and bready malt. finish is balanced, somewhat dry and lightly bitter

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: love this one-of-a-kind ideal holiday brew

3.36/5  rDev -4.8%

Bought a six pack of Cheer over the holidays. Probably my second favorite Shiner after Ruby Redbird. Let's give this a whirl on a BA review. Poured a 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours with a nice off-white head... as long as I pour it as vigorously as possible. The body is wonderfully clear, though. Nice clean amber color. Maybe a bit too clean for a solid beer... but that's not a truly valid complaint. Decent stuff.

The nose has a sweet tang to it to start. Must be the peaches. There's also a unique nuttiness that rolls with it. I'd give it a higher score, but this bottle has a slight putrid aroma to go along with those two awesome components.

The beer isn't putrid, it's interesting. Very sweet and peachy. The caramel malts come through, too. The nuttiness is fatty and rounded. It makes for a nice aftertaste. I don't get any of the characteristic Shiner metallic flavor in this... so huzzah! Still, I wish the beer would jump a bit more with these flavors. Can someone else make this beer?

I have a Texas license, but I'm not a Texan. Maybe that explains why I don't love Shiner. It's better than the standard AAL... and this is completely unique and better than the Bock... but Shiner still isn't great in my book.

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Red-amber with a moderate head.

Smell: The pecans come through in the aroma. Also peaches.

Taste: Peaches dominate. More specifically, canned peaches. I could swear this beer is half canned peach syrup. I don't detect much of the pecans, just a little on the finish, but that's probably because the peach aspect is so strong. This is supposedly a dunkelweizen, but there's very little wheat character.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, quite a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability: With such strong fruit character, this is a one at a time kind of beer, or better yet, split a 12 oz. bottle for dessert.

Notes: This is certainly a unique brew. I like peaches, so I enjoyed it. But if you don't care for canned peaches then watch out! I'll at least have a few bottles next holiday season.

3.01/5  rDev -14.7%

Shiner Holiday Cheer pours a dark coppery color with a good sized head.

smells strongly of peaches and pecans. there's that twinge of artificiality that i don't care for in my beer, but it comes across as good.

wow, the taste is much different than the smell. much stronger in the peach especially, but the pecan also comes through. the malt is slighlty roasted and grainy, and the earthy hops are slightly bitter. it's a bomb of artificial peachy-nuttyness.

mouthfeel medium-full, strongly carbonated. easy to drink, but not really for me. it's the overwhelming taste of peaches that turns me off to it.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

I don't taste much difference between this and their regular flagship brew, and that's pretty okay with me. They're both solid beers and this one fits in line with many holiday beers in that it's safe; it's not going to knock your socks off, but it's not bad at all.

3.27/5  rDev -7.4%

I wasn't going to spend the time reviewing this beer until I read that it was brewed with peaches and pecans. So...

A: Forms a nice head that sticks around. Quite dark in color, but the fact that they mentioned the addition of caramel color makes it feel like their cheating.

S: Sure enough - dominant peachy smell, with butty, bready underlayers.

T: Peachy keen. Somewhat sour, and malty flavors, but they fade pretty quickly, and there's not much finish to it.

M: Almost creamy, but tends toward watery. Somewhat insufficient carbonation. Not terrible, but nothing great.

D: The peach flavor is novel, but I'm not compelled to have more. I'll add the bottle to my Christmas collection, but I'm think I'm pretty much done.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

I am a sucker for seasonal and holiday release beers so I grabbed this one as a single for $1.60 at one of my beer stores.

A- Dark copper, kind of fizzy looking.
S- Thin smell of mostly peaches.
T- Peaches again, and some other fruity flavors. I don't get much pecan, some wheat malt in there too.
M- Medium bodied, pretty fizzy.
D- I'm glad I only bought one but it was pretty enjoyable.

Interesting take on a holiday beer. I took my first smell and sip expecting the holiday spice cabinet as I had not yet read the label and found the peach flavor to be a nice change from the usual holiday beers.

2.46/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours an amber/ruby color with a one finger head that stays for a while.

Smell is not appealing at all. It smells like that gummy peach ring candy you can buy at any convenience store. Totally artificial and a bit sickly. Taste is a bit of maltiness with a ton of fake peach sweetness and a disgusting bitter metallic finish. Ugh.

Mouthfeel is thin, and I wouldn't drink this again if I had to.

3.22/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours from the bottle a deep blend of garnet and brown with a short-lived finger of brown head. Peach dominates the aroma, much like a can of fruit cocktail, but it's not a unpleasant smell. The amount of peachiness in the nose is a good indicator of what's to come in the taste. The peach flavors, however, aren't as pleasant, and I found the taste a little astringent. The pecans the label mentions do come out at last in the finish, however, and are a nice touch. A slightly hoppy finish combined with the peach flavor makes for a below average mouthfeel and drinkability, in my opinion.

An interesting beer and not bad.... I'm glad to have Shiner trying offerings like this, and I think I'd drink a few again next winter.

Had on tap at the Yardhouse in Houston

A - Dark amber in color with a tan head that receded very quickly, leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S - Getting a sweet peach sniff along with a very slight hint of malts.

T - Predominantly peaches with some malts and some pine on the finish. Finishes rather dry which I like. Feel like I get a little bit of slate.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, dry in the mouth.

O - This is not a bad beer, some would probably like to see more spiciness or malts, I like the finish being somewhat dry, the peaches aren't overpowering.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

It poured a deep clear amber with a white foamy head.

The aroma was pleasant, with peaches at the forefront. I also had a nutty caramel aroma.

The taste didn't really live up to the aroma. It tasted like a regular Shiner but with added flavors built on top. I didn't think the peach aspect was as strong in the taste as it was in the aroma. There was also a nutty flavor lingering about, but unless I was told otherwise, I would not have guessed pecans. It also had a generic holiday spice taste, but for the most part it got lost in the shuffle of the peach and malt flavors

Like almost all Shiner products the mouth feel was very carbonated.

It had a fairly decent drinkability.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it but I don't feel the need to revisit it again until next December. It was good and worth the try, however, there was something too artificial about it. The peach flavor tasted like the peach flavoring in an Arizona Ice Tea, only not as pronounced.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner