Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States | website

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Reviews: 386 | Ratings: 1,522
3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Rich amber color that looks a little red when in the light, with a bubbly tan head

S- Hints of peach, nut, and clove

T- Much like the scent, hints of peach, which gives way to nut and tart finish

M- Medium bodied mild carbonation

D- Somewhat different than other dunkels I've had, yet pretty tasty. Its a nice seasonal beer.

2.97/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Bought a six pack and poured into a glass. Not much head. Pours a nice reddish orange and the smell is fantastic. Great "natural flavored" peach smell. But when it comes to the taste there is not much peach or pecan taste at all. Tastes like a regular semi dark beer. I'm very disappointed in the taste. Not sure how a peach/pecan inspired beer has anything to do with Christmas. I think this would better be marketed as a summer type beer with the peach thing. Anyways if you like the smell of peaches this thing delivers. If you are looking for a peach and pecan tasting beer forget this one. I'm a big fan of Shiner beer but this is disappointing.

3.92/5  rDev +11%

L (4) – There’s a nice deep red/burgundy color to this. I always like beers to look like this, for a nice holiday feel.

S (3.75) – Uh oh. I smell peaches. I know there are peaches in it, but it’s heavy on the peach.

T (4) – Well I can taste the peaches. But very subtle. It’s more on the back end and is actually kinda pleasant. Sometimes these holiday beers can taste like they’ve been steeped in potpourri. But not this one. I don’t get a whole lot of the malt, but it’s a Shiner beer, so I’m not super surprised.

F (3.75) – Thin and crisp. It’s okay, but nothing special in this department.

O (4) – I’d been wanting to try this one, but didn’t want to commit myself to an entire 6 pack. I was actually much more pleased than I thought I’d be. I’m not going to run out and by the six pack, but I’m not mad that I bought this at the restaurant. I would consider drinking it again.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

Medium head rises from a moderate pour into globe glass. Little lacing. Clear garnet in color.

Smell is peaches and caramel malt.

Tastes like peaches and pecans and medium roast malt with a somewhat artificial flavor but not bad.

Light mouthfeel and light moderate carbonation.

Overall a good value with decent flavor for an inexpensive fruit beer from Shiner.

2.81/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured a Clear fizzy amber color with a creamy off white head and good lacing. Smells of artificial peaches, nutty, bready. Taste is about as it smells, Huge peach flavor but not in a good way. It taste way too artificial and sweet. Light to medium oily body. One is definably enough to drink in one sitting. I don't believe I will drink this again to tell you the truth.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

From deep in the heart of Texas, from Shiner where winter means you might have to put on your windbreaker from time to time, comes a pretty solid winter warmer style brew.

Looked good in my shaker glass with a nice mahogany color and a thick, fluffy, light brown head. A little carmel and nutty aroma on the nose. Taste is similar, with a carmel malt and nutty flavor, which is nicely balanced by the hops. If anything, this was a little thin and watery, but a very drinkable brew.

Solid holiday beer from a place you wouldn't necessarily expect it from.

A simply unique seasonal Christmas beer! Living in NE Ohio we are fortunate enough to enjoy Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas. However, Shiner Cheer from Texas has become our favorite Holiday beer surpassing all the fantastic beers we are able to enjoy in Ohio. Additionally, the branding and color permutation of the label may be the best out there. So cool and so glad this beer has arrived!

3.74/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance - Clear dark red with a wispy head.

Smell - Peaches, brown sugar, wheat, and alcohol. I think I can smell a bit of pecan as well, though I doubt I would have noticed if it hadn't been mentioned on the bottle.

Taste - A bit sweet, some definite wheat and peach. There is some nuttiness in the aftertaste. No noticeable yeast, unfortunately. The finish is a little bit crisp.

Mouthfeel - Medium-thick body and medium carbonation.

Notes - An interesting take on a dunkelweizen. I'm surprised at some of the low marks it gets in the reviews; I guess innovation is only appreciated in the trendy brewers. Sure there's better dunkelweizens out there, but it's both tasty and unique, and that's good enough for me.

2.11/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

I'm typically a Spoetzl apologists as I like several of their beers, but not this one. Not only is it not a Dunkelweizen as the name suggest, it really is a poor tasting beer. This is even the 2nd year that I've given it a try thinking my first may have been a mistake. The mistake wasn't trusting my original impression.

A - The color is a nice enough, but not what I equate to a dark wheat. This had more of a brown ale red hue and absolutely clear.

S - I did like the peach smell and that is probably the nicest thing I have to say about this beer. Do I equate peach with Dunkelweizens? No, but the peaches were the element that I associated with giving it a festive, seasonal characteristic.

T - Ok, this is really where the train left the rails. The taste is horrible. It had a very distinctive bitter taste, like they brewed the beer with the pecan shells and not the nuts. I do not say this as hyperbole, that was the actual taste. The finish was artificial tasting to me, almost a cough medicine taste.

M - The mouthfeel was generally alright.

O - Overall, I downgraded my rating from what I gave this beer last year. It just simply is undrinkable. Unfortunately its poor showing prompting me to write a full review this time.

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I was prepared to be disappointed, since their bock, the only other Shiner beer I've had, is a poor example of that style. But I was pleasantly surprised with this one. And, for the price, (a little more than 2 dollars for a 24 oz bottle), it is one of the tastiest beers I've had. After guzzling this one, I'm going back for more.

4.34/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours a beautiful amber color with a frothy off-white head. Smells very fruity, maybe strawberries or cherries. Initial taste is very smooth and crisp with a very light cherry taste finish. Very drinkable and enjoyable. The more I drink this, the more the natural Cherry flavor pops before the finish. Not much lacing to speak of. Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised with this brew and I just hope I can find more when I go back to the store.

Nice amber color in appearance. The mouthfeel very exceptional, if all the wheat beers had this we would be big fans. There is a nice hint of peaches in the nose of this beer. This is very nicely noticed in the taste. The taste is very nicely balanced, giving this beer a great taste. We feel this is a nicely brewed beer. Enjoy

4.47/5  rDev +26.6%

Pours a beautiful dark amber brown with a one finger lively tan head that recedes quickly.
Smells amazing! Of fresh cut peaches, brown sugar, nuts, caramel, and...fresh linen?
Starts with fresh peach and strawberry, then roasted almonds, and then to a nice maltiness with some earthy hops.
Mouthfeel I slick, and moderately creamy, diggin' it.
Overall a kickass, fragrant brew, with a great flavor to match, caramel color be damned, it's still a great beer!

4.23/5  rDev +19.8%

The color is a nice deep amber with great initial effervescence and three fingers worth of foamy tan head. It's surprisingly clear for the style, but has some ok lacing.

Smells like fresh peaches with hints of bubblegum and vanilla.

Medium mouthfeel and smooth with a malty sweetness in the front and some balancing hop bitterness in the back. There is some bite from the carbonation and a little punch from the alcohol. I can't really decide if the flavor is to style or not, but it is pleasing.

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a Samuel Adams glass

Pours a nice, rich caramel with some hardcore lacing. Head sits nicely on top of the beer the entire way.

Per the bottle, this beer is brewed with peaches and pecans. The peaches come through heavy on both the nose and the palate. Can't detect much pecan if any.

Tastes of peaches.

Not Shiners best work, but a very easy drinking Christmas beer.

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured a dark copper that was translucent and very filtered. The ivory white head was robust and consistent, fading to a small sudsy layer. First smells are overwhelmingly peach. It definitely has some carbonation to it. I'm not sensing pecans but after the peach fleets there is a slight maltiness. As the beer is consumed, the head is very uneven and looks quite unusual. Appears to be continents drifting apart as seen from the space shuttle (I know.. crazy). It finishes up with a slight cream mouthfeel. This is the first beer in awhile that I actually really don't care for. The tastes are not robust. The taste is overwhelmed by peach. Not sure how peaches even play into the winter holidays. Unfortunately I have 5 left.

3.09/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a red/amber with a light quickly disappearing head with remains thin and lace like. District smell of peaches and a very slight nuttiness. Once I sipped the beer, I got a good amount of candied pecan taste. Very sweet. Feel is thin and has a medium to light level of carbonation

3.32/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a very reddish brown color. Tan thin head disappears quickly.

Well, the label says brewed with peaches and pecans and you get tons of peach on the nose. And it's a real peach smell too, not the kind in gummy candy. There's also some farm stinkiness and sugar.

The peach flavor is up front and dominates the beers. The back end is where Shiner loses me a tad. The bitterness isn't well balanced and the previously pleasant peach flavor is just too much.

A nice surprise and a totally different kind of Holiday beer from Shiner.

2.64/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a clear transparent ruby-red amber color. Off-white foamy head that dissipates after a few minutes to a long lasting thin white cover. Some lacing.

Smells of sweet peaches, candied fruit, and some faint hops citrus. Some hints of malt and spice in the background. I was a bit surprised by the strong peach smell.

Taste is sour apple, hop citrus, and spicy floral notes. The finish is peach and apricot sweetness, with a lingering of dried apricot.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with carbonation, and a slightly thin finish.

An interesting holiday beer. It was worth trying, but probably not one I will revisit.

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

Seen they had only one sixer at the store so I grabbed it as well.

Peaches in a dunkel hmm sounds interesting.

The aroma is very holiday season like with spices and fruits. Kind of like a Fruit cake in a glass.

Mouthfeel was not bad at all. it was a little sharp up front with a twang of fruit and peaches with a little bittering on the back end.

Overall this beer suprised me. I found myself enjoying it. Although I could not drink more than a few due to the big present of peaches. Not a big peach fan but the beer was tasty.

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce bottle

Appearance/ 2 full fingers of tannish foam that dissipates to a thin froth. Dark amber but clear. Nice carbonation.

Smell / Big peaches out in front. Pears. Really fruity.

Taste/ The first and biggest thing you get is peaches but they tell you on the bottle they use Texas peaches in the recipe. There is some hop bitterness at the end but to me the fruitiness kind of overpowers anything else that may be there.

Mouth Feel / Medium bodied and creamy smooth.

Overall / I gave it a 2.75 on this as I am not a big fan of fruit flavored beer not because it is a bad brew. I am sure that the brewer achieved what he was going after. Overall I think it fits into it's style but I would rather have a beer that has more beer flavors than fruits. That is just my preference.

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Time for the holiday cheer! Instead of some spiked eggnog, I figured a holiday beer would be a nice try.

Appearance - Nice, solid mahogany appearance. Not everyday you get such a nice color in a beer.

Smell - Not the best smell ever, doesn't really seem to match the taste in my opion. More of a washy regular Shiner.

Taste - Peachy! If you like Lambrics but hate the price, this one will be a great sub. Aftertaste after a bit seems to be a bit much and overbearing, but sipped over time its a good one.

Mouthfell - Very similar to its parent beer - Shiner bock

Overall - a great specialty beer. I wouldn't have this every night, but definately in the winter.

4.18/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a translucent dark amber color with an off-white head. Mild peach aroma. Nice yet subdued peach flavor with a hint of caramelized sugar. Pecan flavor is more subtle. Light-bodied with a clean mouthfeel. Sweet, but extremely well balanced. Overall very pleasant and very drinkable. One of the few fruity beers I really like.

3.92/5  rDev +11%

Pours to a amber orange with a thick off white head. Leaves good lacing due to head staying for most of the drinking experiance!

Smells very fruity like peaches, pears, apricots, and maybe some honey. Very Nice!

Taste a peachiness and a hint of the peacans or some other nut.

Medium body with low carbonation and a dry finish!

A very easy drinking beer! Very Nice!

3.29/5  rDev -6.8%

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: This beer pours a nice rich reddish brown color. Even when vigorously pouring I cannot get even 1/2 finger head out of this beer. There is minimal lacing.

S: This beer smells distinctly of pecan, peaches, and brown sugar. Smells absolutely delicious!

T: I sure wish it tasted more like it smelled. The smell is deceiving of what is the come from the taste. I expected more peach, pecan, and sweetness, but instead was greeted by too many hops, with mild sweetness in the background that didn't blend well with the hops.

M: Pretty standard for a Shiner beer. Low carbonation, pretty slick and thin on the mouth. Needed to be thicker in my opinion.

D: I wouldn't want more than one of these at a time, but my wife and I dispatched of a 12 pack in about 3 weeks.

Overall I loved the smell of this beer, but the taste did not match it. For me that killed the experience a little bit. If they added some sugar to increase sweetness and found a way to make that nutty pecan smell come through in the taste this beer would be downright awesome.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner