Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
good
Read the review
Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Reviews: 399 | Ratings: 1,567
3.43/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Taste like homeade hooch brewed in a stove crockpot. It's not bad. Not sure i would consider it a Dunkel. It's drinkable but after having Warsteiner Dunkel this doesn't compare. Tastes like peach with very little body.

2.61/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Brewed with peaches? Did they add anything else? I'm not a big fan of overly fruit beers and this one is really, really fruity. Halfway through it and has more in common with a B&J Fuzzy Navel Wine Cooler then a beer.

Despite that... it isn't awful. I managed to finish the entire bottle but I'm glad I didn't buy a six-pack.

4.16/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark reddish amber with a thin finger head that fades quickly with a decent amount of lacing. Gives off the aroma of beets or grapes. It's very sweet to the tongue. The taste is very similar to the smell, grapy with a hint of beets and citrus. The flavor doesn't last long however and you're not left with much of an aftertaste. But it's worth a try. I would certainly recommend it to a friend.

3.26/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured clear dark amber with frothy tan head. Sticky to the glass. Slow moving head.

Peaches are all I smell. Weird.

Taste is pleasant, surprisingly. Peaches do not dominate the taste as they do the smell. Spices are subtle. Malts are subtle. Hops are very subtle. Peaches are subtle. Nothing stands out, which is probably just as well.

Mouth is moderate fizzy, creating a nice cream finish.

I'm usually not a fan of Holiday spiced ales. They are mostly over the top with artificial flavors; however, this one dispite its weird smell is quite nice. I could do a couple of these during the holidays or any other days. It would be nice with a slice of pecan pie. Which reminds me....I did't even notice the pecans!

2.82/5  rDev -20.3%

Appearance - dark brown/copper color. No head, but growler was opened yesterday evening.

Smell - smells sweet and fruity. Some hops.

Taste - a little too sweet for my liking. Tastes like the aftertaste of a sour juice.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - a bit below average. Probably wouldn't buy this one again...

4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

Hi, y'all!
I just tried this new Shiner beer last night before the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio .. definately has a holiday taste to it. I normally don't like "fruity" beers but this one has a lot of flavour! I don't find it nearly as good as Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale, a bit sweeter, but still, you ought to try it. I'd just had about 4 plates of Tex-Mex food (mostly marinated chicken to make some fajitas with) and this ended the meal on a positive note.

A spiced dark wheat wassail, caramel colored, with a fresh peachy note in the nose.
After reading about this a Christmas or two ago, this is my first sampling, and I must admit this is like finding a surprise package under the tree. I have never tasted an ale like this one before. The use of peaches and pecans gives this a unique flavor profile, which is neither dry nor sweet, but has bit of tartness in the finish. Getting over the initial flavor shock, this becomes a very tasty, drinkable beer. A krausend 5.4 % delight.

3.73/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

So to me the scent of this beer is actually enviting. Peaches on the edge of a malty base if not seeming a little too peachy. Maybe a little grape juice scented. I like the flavor. It's a beery drink with a peach ending. I like the sweet/bitter fight at the end of this beer. The only downside is the sweetness does linger on the palate a bit. It's really carbonated and a bit watery. Decent holiday beer if you ask me.

3.52/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Clear, reddish-brown with a thin head

S: Sweet peaches are overwhelming with a maltiness in the background

T: Again the peaches and sweetness are notable up front. Starts sweet again Goes through a good progression as it finishes dry.

M: Medium-heavy that is fairly smooth with light carbonation.

D: Its unique smell and taste make it an enjoyable novelty beer, but not something that I would want to drink on a regular basis.

3.09/5  rDev -12.7%

Good look and color. Has slight apple cider finish. Perhaps a little malt. Cant extract the peach from the taste like others note. I would say dunkel-ish

3.93/5  rDev +11%

12 oz bottle Drank on Valentines day

A- Relatively dark red, maroon. Head stays for a good while

S- Smells identical to apple pie. You can smell the beer ingrediants but I smell mainly cinnamon apple. And tons of sweetness.

T- Clean taste, Not tons of the smell is in the taste, maybe a hint of fruit

M- I dont want to say light but medium bodied. Like the difference of coke to sprite.

D- More impressive than I had thought

1.86/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Can. Murky brown amber with off white head. Smell is sweet and on thick side. Taste follows. Don't really get peaches or pecans. Just sweet bordering syrupy. Have tried this twice and couldn't finish either.

4.07/5  rDev +15%

Transparent amber, short lived head, the lacing is..so...so. Interesting smell, a little vanilla, a little molases, and something I can't quite put a finger on...maybe it is peaches, yeah peaches...well,..imagine that. The flavour of this little brew caught me off guard, expecting peaches, I was not disappointed but where are the pecans?...oh well. The peach is very nice against a nice malty, slightly bitter backdrop.... it pushes my button. Mouthfeel is decent and drinkability very good.

I found this to be a balanced and interesting brew. Tweak it a little, lighten it little and bingo!.. you could have a delightful summer refresher.

4.31/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very first impression of the taste was that it tasted like berries, but then the peach flavor became more prevalent. The color was deep bronze and the smell was similar to the taste. Low bitterness, medium thickness. Pretty good.

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a reddish-tan with a hefty head which dwindles to ~1/4inch. First smells strongly of peaches, slightly nutty and then peachy lingering. Tastes similar to smell, except tastes more like a dunkelweizen beer. Does not smell all that much like beer to me. The taste is not too strong, with a slightly wheaty finish precluded by light hoppy bite. Feels a bit to fizzy, I could have gone for a slightly greater viscosity with less fizzy carbonation. Overall, a fun beer to try, but not something worth going out of your way for. Very cool bottle, though!

4.39/5  rDev +24%

Appearance: 12oz twist top bottle with no best by or bottling date. To me From Shine. This beer pours a dark red with a tan head that reaches about one inch then starts to recede.

Smell: Peaches, and tons of them, apricots, plums, alcohol, and malts. Possibly the best smelling beer I have ever had.

Taste: Malts, peaches and slight alcohol notes.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but not overly so, warmth from the alcohol. The mouth is left feeling clean.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, the best wheat beer I have ever had. This is also the best Shiner beer I have ever had. A great job and an excellent beer.

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%

I always end up grabbing a 6-pack or two of this every year during Nov-Dec. Bought from HEB in College Station and poured into a pint glass. First review, new to BA, so here we go!

Look: Nice dark brown color with reddish tinge. Mostly clear. Small head with little lacing.
Smell: Peaches dominate. Sweet, and a good indicator of what's to come
Taste: Peaches, sweetness, and a comfortable hop touch that is very satisfying for this style.
Feel: Great frothy wheatbeer mouthfeel.

Overall: Well-flavored dunkelweizen with a hop touch that keeps things very interesting. Spoetzl's best offering, by far, in my opinion. Well worth multiple tries during the weeks leading up to Christmas.

3.77/5  rDev +6.5%

gives me about a one finger head that disappears pretty quickly. has an appealing amber color to it, and carbonation is visible.

smells of peach nectar really...i can't pick up much else. but yes it smells pretty good.

the taste is not nearly as sweet as i would expect. a bit bitter with a sweet finish, but for sure not too sweet.

the mouthfeel is a little to carbonated for me. but other than that i don't mind it.

i would say the drinkability is easily there on this brew.

Oh i just thought i would add that i found out the ABV is 5.4

4.42/5  rDev +24.9%

Appearance: Pours a dark amber body with a medium head.

Smell: The aroma is a strong combination of mostly peach with a small amount of roasted pecans.

Taste: Sweet bready taste with a light peach flavor (was expecting a fruitier taste from the aroma) and equal nutty flavor. It's just really nice balance with just a whiff of hops.
(Edit: The one that I'm enjoying 12/31/14 has a whole lot of peach flavor going on. I like it!)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very drinkable by itself or with a meal (especially chicken or pork).

2.81/5  rDev -20.6%

A: Dark amber, and copper coloring. Slight head, but not overly so.

S: Smells of dried apricots and a slight nuttiness.

T: The rich flavor of the apricots that are brewed in are heavy on the toungue with a smooth finish that makes you want more.

M: The overall mouth feel is supurb. This probably one of my favorite holiday beers as it is full bodied, but somewhat lighter than I expected.

D: I'd rate fairly high if it wasn't so seasonally oriented.

Overall, I'd suggest this beer to any of my friends. Cheers.

3.82/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A- looks medium brown, but is beautiful dark red when held up to light. Vaguely off-white head that disappears quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Lots of peach and a little bit nut.

T- Love this. Starts with loads of peach, has a very round, nutty taste in the middle, and finishes with a little citrusy-pine hops.

MF- Meh. Not bad, but a little under-carbonated to be great. If you're looking for a sweetish session brew, the mouthfeel makes this a decent choice.

Overall- this is one of my favorite beers, i look forward to it every year. I might love it less if it was available year round, but drinking a few six-packs in the winter months is a blast. Perfect for Christmas parties for BA's and beer-normies alike.

3.84/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A dark brown appearance, with a large amount of head on the pour. It sticks around but does dissipate after a little while. As described via the beer's style.

Smell: a very fruity citrus smell. Smells of mango, very sweet. This smells great, i'm really excited to taste this.

Taste: a very fruity, ale taste. It does have hints of the citrus/mango taste, but it is not as sweet as it smells. Definitely something i've never had before, but i really enjoy this.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, and medium carbonation. Easy to drink.

Overall: Not bad, i would drink this again.

1.9/5  rDev -46.3%

Quick review - yuch! I feel bad about such a negative review, but this is probably the worst beer I have ever had. I would rather drink a Heineken and I can't stand Heineken. This is my second one and I'm drinking it a) to get it out of my refrigerator (will not chill the remaining four) and b) so I can report on it here.

I poured it in a 16oz. pint glass. The color was a dark reddish brown with more than an inch of head that almost immediately disappeared. Very good looking beer with a nice color.

The smell is definitely peachy but also almost like something rotten. The peach scent smells authentic. It doesn't smell like potpourri or anything.

The taste is sour-peachy sitting on top of something that almost tastes good. This seems like a good recipe to ruin a dunkelweizen (one of my favorite styles of beer).

The mouthfeel was medium thick with no fizzy feel to it. I did not give this beer time to warm. I just can't take the taste.

I hope if Shiner offers a Holiday Cheer next year, they experiment in another direction. I'll be sure to pick it up if I see it.

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%

This is the latest edition in my kegerator & have been enjoying this one throughout the holidays.
A: An amber color with a snow capped head. It is lighter than a Shiner Bock, almost a bourbon like appearance.
S: Texas peaches and a smooth malt aroma. Not alot hops but is a nice change to all those Big winter warmers around. The pecans do come out when the beer warms. A southern treat .
T: You get the peach and german malt in the taste for sure. Holiday Cheer is sweet, warm and easy to drink. Could be a hit for just the average beer drinkers.
M: Easy to drink, has a medium mouthfeel, good carbonation and a medium finish. The more you drink the more peaches and pecans come out.
D: Definitely a session beer. With food , with friends , with a bowl game or just enjoying the holidat season . The girls will love this one.
O: Thanks Shiner for spreading Holiday Cheer & a Happy New to all . Its not complexed but fun to drink. Thank you too for Mike Brawley for getting this one for me.

4.09/5  rDev +15.5%

Finally, a holiday brew that isn't the same old amber with "holiday" spices. If I want to taste pumpkin I'll eat pumpkin pie. This beer brings out the holiday spirit with peaches and pecans. A real nice combo. It's not too heavy so you will enjoy a few. Clean aftertaste. Happy holidays to you.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner