Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

3.7

Ratings: 1,601 |  Reviews: 409
4.27/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

A - blood orange, little foam, mostly translucent

s - peach, raisin, yeast, esters

t - all of the above, but pecan emerges to be strongest of all. Crisp malts remind you you're still in the weizen world, but the other flavors don't really work together. Too bad, as it definitely reminds me of home (tx hill country).

M - thin, not enough carbonation

D - easily sessionable if you dig the flavor combo. Don't think I could do >2 myself.

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: Red-amber with a moderate head.

Smell: The pecans come through in the aroma. Also peaches.

Taste: Peaches dominate. More specifically, canned peaches. I could swear this beer is half canned peach syrup. I don't detect much of the pecans, just a little on the finish, but that's probably because the peach aspect is so strong. This is supposedly a dunkelweizen, but there's very little wheat character.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, quite a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability: With such strong fruit character, this is a one at a time kind of beer, or better yet, split a 12 oz. bottle for dessert.

Notes: This is certainly a unique brew. I like peaches, so I enjoyed it. But if you don't care for canned peaches then watch out! I'll at least have a few bottles next holiday season.

3.22/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a Weizen glass from a 12 oz bottle. L: dark Amber to red. Full finger of head. Fades slowly. Light lacing. S: peach syrup, not real fruity, more floral, lavender. Hints at malty aroma near end. T: it's ok. Not very remarkable. F: a bit thin. Not much mouthfeel. Overall: it's ok.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

Color: pours golden brown and sits a clear, deep amber with a thick head and good lacing

Smell: fresh peaches dominate with sweet strawberry shortcake and pecans in tow

Taste: aroma translates well onto palate with the addition of a slight bitterness and bready malt. finish is balanced, somewhat dry and lightly bitter

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: love this one-of-a-kind ideal holiday brew

3.36/5  rDev -5.6%

Bought a six pack of Cheer over the holidays. Probably my second favorite Shiner after Ruby Redbird. Let's give this a whirl on a BA review. Poured a 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours with a nice off-white head... as long as I pour it as vigorously as possible. The body is wonderfully clear, though. Nice clean amber color. Maybe a bit too clean for a solid beer... but that's not a truly valid complaint. Decent stuff.

The nose has a sweet tang to it to start. Must be the peaches. There's also a unique nuttiness that rolls with it. I'd give it a higher score, but this bottle has a slight putrid aroma to go along with those two awesome components.

The beer isn't putrid, it's interesting. Very sweet and peachy. The caramel malts come through, too. The nuttiness is fatty and rounded. It makes for a nice aftertaste. I don't get any of the characteristic Shiner metallic flavor in this... so huzzah! Still, I wish the beer would jump a bit more with these flavors. Can someone else make this beer?

I have a Texas license, but I'm not a Texan. Maybe that explains why I don't love Shiner. It's better than the standard AAL... and this is completely unique and better than the Bock... but Shiner still isn't great in my book.

3.59/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.57/5  rDev +0.3%

Out of a bottle at The Locker Room in Columbus. Best by? Date of 1/23/11 on the bottle.

A: Wasnt served with a glass, go figure. I gave slightly above average, as what I can see is a nice amber color. I don't like that I don't have a proper glass so I can see it. Thus why I distance give it worse or better than I did.

S: Wow, this one is nice. First note is toasted pecans, peach, and caramel. The peach almost takes back seat to the pecans.

T: To me, the pecan is dominant. The caramel melds with the peach to remind of a cobbler. This is not bad.

M: Smooth, if a little thin. Finishes clean.

D: Not too shabby. It's easier to drink than I expected.

Overall, this one is decent. Give it a shot. If I see it again when I am feeling better, I will review it again. Maybe my tastebuds are messed up right now.

1.4/5  rDev -60.7%

i agree with marco, this is the worst beer ever. and it does indeed taste like parmesan cheese!

3.59/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev +14%

3.01/5  rDev -15.4%

Shiner Holiday Cheer pours a dark coppery color with a good sized head.

smells strongly of peaches and pecans. there's that twinge of artificiality that i don't care for in my beer, but it comes across as good.

wow, the taste is much different than the smell. much stronger in the peach especially, but the pecan also comes through. the malt is slighlty roasted and grainy, and the earthy hops are slightly bitter. it's a bomb of artificial peachy-nuttyness.

mouthfeel medium-full, strongly carbonated. easy to drink, but not really for me. it's the overwhelming taste of peaches that turns me off to it.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner