Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
good
Read the review
Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Ratings: 1,578 |  Reviews: 401
1.4/5  rDev -60.3%

i agree with marco, this is the worst beer ever. and it does indeed taste like parmesan cheese!

3.59/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

3.59/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev +15%

3.01/5  rDev -14.7%

Shiner Holiday Cheer pours a dark coppery color with a good sized head.

smells strongly of peaches and pecans. there's that twinge of artificiality that i don't care for in my beer, but it comes across as good.

wow, the taste is much different than the smell. much stronger in the peach especially, but the pecan also comes through. the malt is slighlty roasted and grainy, and the earthy hops are slightly bitter. it's a bomb of artificial peachy-nuttyness.

mouthfeel medium-full, strongly carbonated. easy to drink, but not really for me. it's the overwhelming taste of peaches that turns me off to it.

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

3.82/5  rDev +8.2%

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

So to me the scent of this beer is actually enviting. Peaches on the edge of a malty base if not seeming a little too peachy. Maybe a little grape juice scented. I like the flavor. It's a beery drink with a peach ending. I like the sweet/bitter fight at the end of this beer. The only downside is the sweetness does linger on the palate a bit. It's really carbonated and a bit watery. Decent holiday beer if you ask me.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

2.39/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

3.27/5  rDev -7.4%

I wasn't going to spend the time reviewing this beer until I read that it was brewed with peaches and pecans. So...

A: Forms a nice head that sticks around. Quite dark in color, but the fact that they mentioned the addition of caramel color makes it feel like their cheating.

S: Sure enough - dominant peachy smell, with butty, bready underlayers.

T: Peachy keen. Somewhat sour, and malty flavors, but they fade pretty quickly, and there's not much finish to it.

M: Almost creamy, but tends toward watery. Somewhat insufficient carbonation. Not terrible, but nothing great.

D: The peach flavor is novel, but I'm not compelled to have more. I'll add the bottle to my Christmas collection, but I'm think I'm pretty much done.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

I am a sucker for seasonal and holiday release beers so I grabbed this one as a single for $1.60 at one of my beer stores.

A- Dark copper, kind of fizzy looking.
S- Thin smell of mostly peaches.
T- Peaches again, and some other fruity flavors. I don't get much pecan, some wheat malt in there too.
M- Medium bodied, pretty fizzy.
D- I'm glad I only bought one but it was pretty enjoyable.

Interesting take on a holiday beer. I took my first smell and sip expecting the holiday spice cabinet as I had not yet read the label and found the peach flavor to be a nice change from the usual holiday beers.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner