Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

3.7

Ratings: 1,604 |  Reviews: 409
4.06/5  rDev +14%

3.01/5  rDev -15.4%

Shiner Holiday Cheer pours a dark coppery color with a good sized head.

smells strongly of peaches and pecans. there's that twinge of artificiality that i don't care for in my beer, but it comes across as good.

wow, the taste is much different than the smell. much stronger in the peach especially, but the pecan also comes through. the malt is slighlty roasted and grainy, and the earthy hops are slightly bitter. it's a bomb of artificial peachy-nuttyness.

mouthfeel medium-full, strongly carbonated. easy to drink, but not really for me. it's the overwhelming taste of peaches that turns me off to it.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

3.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.09/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.27/5  rDev -8.1%

I wasn't going to spend the time reviewing this beer until I read that it was brewed with peaches and pecans. So...

A: Forms a nice head that sticks around. Quite dark in color, but the fact that they mentioned the addition of caramel color makes it feel like their cheating.

S: Sure enough - dominant peachy smell, with butty, bready underlayers.

T: Peachy keen. Somewhat sour, and malty flavors, but they fade pretty quickly, and there's not much finish to it.

M: Almost creamy, but tends toward watery. Somewhat insufficient carbonation. Not terrible, but nothing great.

D: The peach flavor is novel, but I'm not compelled to have more. I'll add the bottle to my Christmas collection, but I'm think I'm pretty much done.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

I am a sucker for seasonal and holiday release beers so I grabbed this one as a single for $1.60 at one of my beer stores.

A- Dark copper, kind of fizzy looking.
S- Thin smell of mostly peaches.
T- Peaches again, and some other fruity flavors. I don't get much pecan, some wheat malt in there too.
M- Medium bodied, pretty fizzy.
D- I'm glad I only bought one but it was pretty enjoyable.

Interesting take on a holiday beer. I took my first smell and sip expecting the holiday spice cabinet as I had not yet read the label and found the peach flavor to be a nice change from the usual holiday beers.

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint glass.

L: Pours a deep russet mahogany color with very little head.

S: Peach and other orchard fruits. Faint nutty aroma, too. Very pleasant on the nose.

T: Overwhelming grapefruit; so much grapefruit, in fact, that I didn't detect much else. I expected more peach, since it is so dominant on the nose. A bit yeasty in the aftertaste.

F: Somewhat crisp and dry. Feels thin and somewhat unsubstantial on the tongue.

O: A very solid holiday brew.

2.46/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours an amber/ruby color with a one finger head that stays for a while.

Smell is not appealing at all. It smells like that gummy peach ring candy you can buy at any convenience store. Totally artificial and a bit sickly. Taste is a bit of maltiness with a ton of fake peach sweetness and a disgusting bitter metallic finish. Ugh.

Mouthfeel is thin, and I wouldn't drink this again if I had to.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%