Shiner Smokehaus | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Helles-style lager made with Texas mesquite wood-smoked pale malts. 16 IBU

Added by drunkboxer1 on 06-04-2009

1.39/5  rDev -57.8%

As a fan of smoked beer I was super excited for this. Unfortunately this was quite possibly the worst beer I have ever consumed, comparable only to the PB & J Ale by Short's in offensively bad beers. Smokehaus smelled rather like pork rinds.
But the real winner is the smoked salt pork flavour. I could see this beer being awesome to make chili with or like sloppy joe's but as a drink ... I am at a loss for words.

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%

1.9/5  rDev -42.2%

Kudos to Spoetzl for being ballsy-enough to try something this different. The very idea of this brew shouts "Texas!" I'm a native Texan and a beer-lover, but this is the most difficult-to-drink beer I've ever put lips to.

The smoky aroma was evocative of a tantalizing backyard BBQ wafting my direction, but that merely hinted at the in-yo-face smokiness of the brew itself. And that's where the pleasure ended.

This is the first beer in all my beer-swillin' life in which I couldn't get through an entire bottle before I had to quit. The deep smoke flavor was over-powering and off-putting, while the after-taste was cloying as hell - I swear I could still taste it an hour later. Not pleasant.

"A" for effort and creativity, but the taste is an "F" - this brew is not for me.

2.03/5  rDev -38.3%

I don't know why I expected otherwise, but this beer stunk. After all, this is the brewery that popularized a bock which is frankly not at all bock-like. Anyhow, I ordered it at Norton's Texas Grill (was in front of my hotel) for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me. This beer poured from the bottle a pale-ish yellow, with a medium head. Aroma was lightly smoke-y, but also a touch grainy. Flavor was a chemical-y smoke taste (think liquid smoke) with some graininess in the background. Mouthfeel was thin. I drank this, because I ordered it, but didn't really like it. I noticed that there was an abundant amount of this beer in the cooler (it's row came all the way to the cooler door) whereas all the other bottled beers were somewhat depleted. I should've known...

Shiner Smokehaus from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner