Shiner Märzen-Style Oktoberfest

Sep 21, 2005
SCORE
Okay
Shiner Märzen-Style OktoberfestShiner Märzen-Style Oktoberfest
Notes: Just like the world's largest beer festival, our little brewrey has Bavarian roots and a long tradition of honoring tradition. Which is why we made this märzen-style with German-grown Hallertau tradition. If that doesn't make you polka dance for joy, we don't know what will.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Ratings by Darkbeerlover0:
Rated by Darkbeerlover0

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Mar 13, 2022
More User Ratings:
Reviewed by DCH from New York

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4
I was not expecting a lot out of this beer, but I was pleasantly surprised. Slight toasted malt smell with burnt caramel, same with taste, so it seems pretty average on the American Octoberfest take. What stood out was the mouthfeel. I don’t think I’ve ever quite had an Octoberfest, or beer in general, that was this velvety smooth going down, it was quite enjoyable.
Saturday at 05:06 PM

Rated: 3.64 by scootercrabb from Illinois

Jul 24, 2022

Rated: 2.87 by Jwa11s

Mar 21, 2022
Reviewed by Beer_Economicus from Ohio

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
Today is a new beer to me.

Shiner – Oktoberfest

5.8% ABV

The beer is listed as a marzen style beer on the label – and listed as “lager – marzen” on BA.

The beer was removed from a 40ish degree temp fridge after having been refrigerated for approximately 4 weeks. Beer poured into classic dimpled HB stein.

First Impression: Going to sound weird, but kind of what I expect. Perhaps a bit thin, good carb, nice color. Nothing standoutish, but nothing standoffish either. 4.0

Appearance: About the same as first impression. Nice color, decent and small amount of head for a short period. Color is a little light for the style, but not offensive. It’s probably right in line for what a non-affluent American might expect. 3.75

Smell: As is usually my take on beers of this style, I get the non-descript ‘bier’ smell. If I search hard I may get some yeasty bread and some paleness from hops with just a kiss of malt. -But…it’s faint. 3.5

Taste: Much like the smell, I am not much help here. I get a lot of malt, tad bit of carmal, bit of overdone bread (the crust). No hop presence. No discernable cracker that I can tell. 3.5

Mouthfeel: Thin, as to be expected. A bit closer to water than anything traditional. But, as is the motto for this ber…not offensive. 3.5

Overall: I want to be clear that this isn’t a good beer. There’s a difference between enjoyable, quaffable, and good. This isn’t offensive, and it’s pleasant, and certainly something I’d order depending on what is available. Does that mean I think it is a good beer? Nope. This isn’t offensive, and it’s pretty much what I expected from Shiner. It’s probably the most quaffable of any of the American versions I tried. 3.75

BA Review Score: 3.57
Nov 02, 2021
Reviewed by arizcards from North Carolina

3.71/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
Picked up a sixer on special from the Harris Tweeter market in Hendersonville on 8-31-21 for $6.99. No bottling date; consumed for review 10-24-21.

Beer lured orange with a nice white head with the original pour.

Nose has hints of toasted malts and noble hops.

Taste follows the style with a nice toasted malt base hopped nicely with noble hops to balance things out.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and fairly smooth and refreshing.

Overall i am surprised at how good this beer is in terms of taste and following the style compared to the historical rating. Glad i gave it a shot!
Oct 24, 2021
Reviewed by BeerAndGasMasks from Virginia

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
From the bottle, it pours a clear light amber color with a nice white head that slowly reduces. The nose gets some sweet malt with caramel notes. In the mouth, it is burnt caramel and malt.
Oct 03, 2021
Reviewed by BroBobby70 from Texas

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3
12 oz. bottle poured into Imperial pint glass
LOOK: Medium amber color, 2-finger head that fell quickly, well-carbonated, no lacing
Smell: Extremely malt-forward, hint of sweetness
Taste: Like a dark bread, medium bitterness, harsh aftertaste
Feel: Like water, no carbonation, while the flavor lingers there is no excitement
Overall: I really wanted to like this and while I don't like to compare one brand against another, based on other Oktobefest beers I have had this one is kinda meh
Pair with dark bread, mustard and sausage. A sharp chedder would be a nice companion.
Oct 02, 2021

Rated: 3.52 by Gkruszewski from New York

Sep 25, 2021
Rated by officerbill from New York

3.09/5  rDev -8.3%
Manages to be mildly sweet and sticky while, at the same time, having a dry bitter edge.
Not an enjoyable beer.
Sep 24, 2021
Reviewed by Vetbidder from Pennsylvania

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Not as copper looking as I would have expected but more light amber in color with a thin white head. More ‘saz’ type hops on the nose with less of the sweet malt I’m used too with these brews. Not sweet and much more hop leaning compared with most Oktoberfest brews I’ve sampled. Thinner, not bad.
Sep 23, 2021
Reviewed by Beginner2 from Illinois

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4
I suppose it is time I drank Shiner's O-Fest. But, it is average.

The more amber I get, the more I like the marzen. And the opening Looks of Shiner's O-fest is a pretty amber. But past that, it is average: with mildly sweet Smells, a balanced but uninspiring Tastes, and a Feel that is cleansing but not developing quite cleanly. I enjoyed Shiner's contribution to the annual ritual, but it will be many years before I return.

Despite Spoetzl's marketing/distribution success, I have not paid much attention to them because I only dabble in lagers and I much prefer Belgian ales. But Spoetzl is proof that if you focus on what you do (in their case lagers) and do it better than the average, you can be from not anywhere in this country and still go somewhere good. That is as close to high praise as I can muster, at this point in history, for a Texas company.
Sep 21, 2021

Rated: 4.47 by JuanPn from Louisiana

Sep 16, 2021
Reviewed by Dionysus from New Jersey

2.36/5  rDev -30%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75
All around not a good brew - I dislike the taste, the smell and the color on this beer. Shiner makes a great bock but this is a poor attempt at an oktoberfest brew. I won't buy this again.
Sep 13, 2021

Rated: 2.79 by bendukes86 from South Carolina

Sep 08, 2021
Reviewed by GuyFawkes from Illinois

3.32/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5
Unknown vintage (presumably summer 2021); drank 8/31/21 @ the Yarchives.

See-through golden appearance.

An even pour yielded a big off-white head; nice lace.

Acorn & mild wheat notes in the nose.

Medium thin mouthfeel.

Caramel, acorn & dry wheat flavors.

Slight and a bit too dry; this is OK but not one to track down.
Sep 01, 2021

Rated: 3.79 by LXIXME from New Mexico

Aug 31, 2021
Reviewed by milkshakebeersucks from Maryland

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
Clear light copper appearance with a medium size off white head that left good lacing. Doughy aroma with a modest touch of caramel. Early signs of floral hops faded as it warmed. The residual sweetness was evident but not cloying while the bready malts remained focused. Medium bodied, moderately carbonated mouthfeel.
Aug 20, 2021

Rated: 3.75 by KT3418 from Colorado

Jul 18, 2021
Reviewed by BubbleBobble from New York

3.73/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
Pours from the bottle a slighty hazy amber; solid coaster ring of head throughout. Nose is sweeter malts, fruit esters, mild stone fruits, prunes, and plum. Taste is slight toffee and malt; grain with a lingering sweetness, finishing off with raisin. Feel is medium, full carbonation. Found things on the sweeter side of balanced, but still exceeded expectations.
Dec 17, 2020
Reviewed by jjamadorphd from Florida

3.54/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25
Looks great and smells promising but...

...that's the of it leaves you wishing it weren't what it was. Mind you, not an awful beer, just something that should have tasted more along the style rather the metallic twang that crossed my mouth. I'm sure there are folks that will swear by this, but I've had enough marzen's to know what I like and in this case, do not.
Dec 06, 2020
Reviewed by German-Helles from Wisconsin

3.92/5  rDev +16.3%
This is a 12oz. bottle poured into a 20oz, weizen glass. The color is a medium amber, slightly hazy, medium carbonation, with about a finger of light tan foam that settled to a thick cap with a bit of lacing. The cap of foam does not leave.
The nose is bready malts, slightly sweet.
The taste is sweet, a little spicy hop, with a crisp, and slightly bitter finish, cutting the sweetness perfectly.
The feel is a creamy smooth texture.
I think this is a good marzen, very easy to drink. It looks very nice with the foam cap right to the end, leaving plenty of lacing. Just a classic look.
Dec 06, 2020
Reviewed by BJB13 from Maryland

3.17/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3
12 ounce bottle poured into a tumbler style pint glass.

L: Almost clear, amber/orange, rising bubbles, small off-white head with poor retention.
S: Bread, spicy hops, roasted malts.
T: Caramel, roasted malts and spicy hops.
F: Medium-light body, creamy and slightly crisp.
O: Not a bad beer but too much roasty and caramel flavor for the style.
Nov 28, 2020

Rated: 3.06 by thegreatnicoli from Texas

Nov 22, 2020
Reviewed by GreesyFizeek from New York

3.39/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25
This one pours a light orange color, with a small head, and lots of lacing.

This smells like light bready hops, some vague sweetness, and not much else.

This is pretty weak stuff, but I honestly kind of expected that from this brewery. It's very light and watery, with barely any hop character, and just a generally sweet and fruity malt character.

The body lacks the crisp bite I want usually from this style. It's still drinkable, but I don't want to drink a lot of it.

Shiner is never exactly an inspiring brewery. This isn't bad, it's just not all that interesting.
Oct 20, 2020
Reviewed by Tilley4 from Tennessee

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
This is an absolutely solid little domestic offering from Shiner...

It's a little sweeter than I like my Oktoberfest but it is a tasty beer. I get a little bit of apple and roasted malt and the merest kiss of bitterness....

Not overly complex but it is a beer that I would gladly pick up another six or of. As a matter of fact, I will probably buy this when it first hits the Shelf next year.
Oct 13, 2020
Reviewed by shipgeo01 from New Jersey

2.16/5  rDev -35.9%
I wonder if i got a bad bottle...poured a nice light amber, head disappeared almost instantly, not much for aroma. When i tried it there was a fairly strong skunk flavor that ruined the beer for me...I had to force myself to finish it. Not sure how old the bottle was and I wonder how it was stored for its trip from Texas to NJ.
Oct 11, 2020
Reviewed by JoKo from Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
Pours a dark, amber color with inch thick white head that dissipated quickly, moderate amount of carbonation. Smell is malty. The taste is malty up front, bread notes, followed by an herbal, hallertau hoppy finish. Mouthfeel is crisp, medium bodied, easy drinkability. Overall, good beer and spot on for style.
Oct 10, 2020
Reviewed by BeerBobber from Nevada

4.03/5  rDev +19.6%
Very nice caramel color with two fingers of a light tan head made of thick soapy bubbles. Steady slow rising bubbles off the bottom and lots of bubbles clinging to the side of the glass.

Nice rich roasted malts and smells of dark bread and just kiss of caramel sweet.

Very dark bread type of taste. Again that caramel is there but ever ever so faint. This beer has that lager notes and leans on that darker slightly roasted malt flavor that brings out that dark breadiness taste.

Mouth feel is fairly light and a slightly wet finish.

Seriously this has become a new favorite in my Oktoberfest beers! This beer is so nice on the smell and taste along with the drinkabilty! Holy cow is this a winner winner bratwurst dinner!! I am highly impressed by this beer. Can you tell. Seriously. Now the price was interesting as well. I saw it for $7.99 a six of bottles but did not pick it up. The next day I went in the store it was $5.99 a six of bottles! What. I had not even tried it but I bought two six packs. And damn am I glad I did! Seriously if you like the style try this one now before it is gone!
Oct 08, 2020
Reviewed by defunksta from North Dakota

3.94/5  rDev +16.9%
Appearance: Pours a clear, copper, slightly orange and bronzed color with a bright white head. SRM of 15. (3.75)

Aroma: Moderate to strong aromas of toasty malts. Mostly earthy aromas of toasted grains and whole wheat toast. There is a strong brown sugar, caramel sweetness on the end. Malty. (4.00)

Flavor: Flavor follows with more malty flavors of smooth brown sugar, caramel, and toast. It's got a strong sweetness, but also toastiness in the front. There's also some authentic German honey & lemon in here underneath the toasted malts. Finishes sweet and smooth, sort of milky. (4.00)

Feel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation. A nice lemon tartness to balance the sweetness on the end. Hides the alcohol extremely well. (4.00)

Compared to Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest 2020: Pours a slightly darker color. More malty aromas of toasted bread, brown sugar, honey. Less orange citrus and pine soap.

Overall: A surprisingly better Oktoberfest Marzen than I expected from the ratings. It is nicely toasted and smooth, sweet, tasty malts. Leans malty, but not too sweet. Authentic German honey sweetness is present. NOne of the spiced cherry that is found in many American Marzens. This one is just smooth, toasty, and malty. Worth coming back to. (Final Rating: 3.94)
Oct 08, 2020