Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Shiner Märzen-Style Oktoberfest | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by battlekow on 09-21-2005

Ratings: 1,174 |  Reviews: 309

First beer I've dumped out in years.

2.02/5  rDev -39.9%

2.15/5  rDev -36%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I really hate to give a Shiner product such a low score but this beer is just awful, I was very disappointed since Shiner tend to brew quality brews. The beer pours a nice caramel color with a hint of sugary malts, and it goes downhill from there. The beer tastes very strange, like it is stale or overly sugared. It is sweet and pungent at the same time. It leaves a horrible dirty aftertaste in your mouth and I literally could get only one person to drink one in its entirety. The first time Shiner has let me down, but I am still a fan nonetheless, just steer clear of this bad brew.

2.2/5  rDev -34.5%

Had on tap at McGees in Lincoln Park.

Pretty weak effort for a brewery I like in my favorite style. Pours a clearish golden orange, much lighter than most Märzens I've had. Smell is sort of malty and thin with some metal.

Flavor is too thin. Not enough malt and too many hops for the style.

Disappointing.

2.21/5  rDev -34.2%

I'm not the biggest fan of Shiner and I think that's going to show through in this review. A friend brought a 6 pack over for the OU/UT football game and I'm sad to say that the game was more depressing than the beer... and the friend couldn't even finish her bottle. Not a good day for football.

I wanted to hate on the appearance because of the negative experience I had with the beer yesterday, but this actually looks ok-ish. Strikingly clear golden body. 2-finger bone white head that forms after a vigorous-as-possible pour... but it stays around longer than I would have guessed.

The smell takes me a few sniffs to really get (I've got a bit of a cold... and it's just not that powerful). There's a mix of Munich and caramel grains in there. There's also a very slight noble hop presence. Unfortunately, there's also a grainy mustiness that I don't find that inviting.

The taste is... medicore. Maybe worse. Some slight graininess that reminds me of other Octoberfests. However, it ends in a dirty and vegetal manner. Not appetizing. This beer is a boring take on the style that manages to finish in an offputting way. I might drink another bottle of the free 6 pack... but I kind of doubt it.

2.26/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with a cooperish color with very little head and little carbonation. Had a very hoppish smell. The taste was rather disappointing. Tasted too hoppy and bitter to be a good marzen. I had tried at the GABF and it tasted better there - but I was buzzing pretty hard at that point. Nice try but not gonna find a home in my beer fridge.

2.28/5  rDev -32.1%

I continue to drink all of "Shiners" beers in hopes to find a good one. I may just be done drinking them after this, we'll see...

Appearance-A lighter copper body with a one finger off white head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell-Pale Malts, some light caramel notes. Very subtle pumpkin spice, but nothing too exciting.

Taste-Just fucking bland as shit. Has the components of an octoberfest but it's just bland, watery, and horrible.

Mouthfeel-Very light, as expected. Medium carbination.

Overall-It just angers me that they keep putting out shitty beers and that idiots like me keep buying them(But at least they're singles). Don't purchase this crap.

2.3/5  rDev -31.5%

Pour- A lighter copper than I was expecting for an Oktoberfest. Very small white head, which is quick to go.

Smell- Nothing too outstanding, like a good malty sweetness. Instead I'm smelling low amounts of malt with somewhat drowned out spices

Taste- Taste how it smells. Real watery for an Oktoberfest, lacking character. It's carbonation seems a bit too much, or maybe I'm just thinking miller light when I drink it. Malt is there, but its at the end of the taste. I like an Oktoberfest to be malty throughout my taste..

Overall - I was a bit disappointed. I bought a six of this and a six of real ale's Oktoberfest( a little texan comparison). It was night and day. It's an Oktoberfest that needs a bit more attention before I'd buy again. The Shiner's Oktoberfest will go to a party, the Real Ale's will stay with me ;)

Cheers

2.32/5  rDev -31%

Pours a clear honey with a splash of orange colored beer. Head is tan and only lasts an instant.

Smell is sweet and fairly malty. Detectable toasted Munich malt scent and a bit bready. All the proper scents are here but it seems a bit watered down.

Taste is off. Flavor is harsh with a biting level of carbonation and a candy like malt that does not pair very well to the high hop bitterness. Hops are herbal in flavor and this brew leaves lingering malt sweetness on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is biting.

Not a drinkable beer here. From the moment you taste this it is like something biting your tongue. This beer is seriously unbalanced it needs to be reformulated completely.

2.32/5  rDev -31%

2.36/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Let me preface by stating I love marzens, but pale imitators I don't dig. Having said that, this is still an upward spike in good beer for the lone star state. (only place where I almost saw a riot when they ran out of miller lite.)

pours an impressive white head that drops off quickly with some slight lace trails. Beautiful honey to amber clarity.

Smell: Diadactheyl (sp??) and some unnnatural smell that reminds me of glycol??

Taste: Astringent and grainy and a caramell sweetness, that just doesn't work for me. Doesn't taste all malt to me/(Better than lite)

mouthfeel: thin with some hop bitterness that's out of balance. Prickly over carbonation

Drinkability: Showed a litlle promise, but didn't deliver, might be okay Ice cold.

Shiner Märzen-Style Oktoberfest from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner