Shiner Märzen-Style Oktoberfest | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
Read the review
Shiner Märzen-Style OktoberfestShiner Märzen-Style Oktoberfest

Ratings: 1,143 |  Reviews: 298
3.52/5  rDev +4.1%

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

2.9/5  rDev -14.2%

I picked up a bottle of Spoetzl Brewery's Shiner Oktoberfest last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I thought I would keep the Oktoberfest theme going and give this one from Shiner a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's got a simple and clean look to it, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a clear golden amber color that took on more of an amber color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy lacing behind. This was a good looking Marzen, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a light sweet malt, caramel malt and grainy malt aroma with the grainy malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some clean lager yeast followed by the hops which impart a earthy and slightly soapy aroma with a light toasted aroma showing up in the end. This beer had a decent aroma, but I wish it wasn't the grainy malts that stuck out the most.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma with the grainy malts still showing up the most, but this time the malts are lighter. Up next comes a watery flavor followed by a light metallic flavor. On the finish there's a slight apple cider flavor followed by some earthy hops with no bitterness and it had a apple cider, grainy and watery aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that great, it had some off aspects that prevented it from being as good as i could be.

M- Smooth, a little clean, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but I wish it was a little cleaner.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of this beer and I thought it was a slightly below average example of the style, it seemed like it was going the right direction, but when I got to the taste it started to go downhill and it had some off flavors that prevented it from being as good and clean as it could be. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, a little clean, crisp, not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and one is enough for me, any more than that and I think the off aspects would really start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance to me that was the aspect that was the truest to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it just had some off aspects that hurt it and made it not too enjoyable. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's not hard to find better American made Oktoberfest and I can't say I would recommend it for the same reason. All in all this beer just wasn't for me, that metallic flavor was a pretty big deal breaker for me. It's now one of my least favorite American made Marzens and it's also now my least favorite beer from Shiner. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some work.

3.32/5  rDev -1.8%

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

12oz Brown bottle with twist-off cap and no bottled on date. Poured into a Mason jar glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear, copper amber with 2 fingers of head that receded quickly but I am very impressed with the lacing that is better than any other shiner beer

Smell: Biscuit and lightly toasted bread

Taste: Bready malt up front with a little floral hop character in the middle and a slightly sweet but clean finish

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation but not thin

Overall: A solid Oktoberfest that is still one of my go-to Märzens. There is a great balance between the toasted malt flavor and bitter, floral hop notes. A nice clean finish to top it all off.

2.64/5  rDev -21.9%

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

3.29/5  rDev -2.7%

Sampled this evening on 8/31/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a 14 ounce 'Texas" glass boot.

Pours a copper-amber in color with a good 2-finger head that stays around for a while. Some decent lacing is seen when sipped. Perfect carbonation. The aroma is of caramel, toffee, and malts but not real strong. Pretty much the same with taste also. No bitter or harsh aftertaste. Not as 'hoppy' as other Oktoberfest brews I have had at all. Lighter to medium-bodied. Overall a good brew.

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%

3.02/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a clear orange color from the bottle with a 2 " head. Foam lasts throughout the beer at one finger. Carbonation is good. Not a lot on the nose other than wheat. The taste was disappointing. Some spice (cinnamon, all spice not sure) then a not so great

Shiner Märzen-Style Oktoberfest from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner