Shiner 102 Double Wheat | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

shiner.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by Onslow on 01-23-2011

1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

Straw colored with a wispy, white head that dissipates quickly. Filtered wheat?

Smells like a polish pilsner; grainy, doughy and with a metallic twinge.

Tastes like plastic and well-water. A slight, sweet, floral character behind that.

soft in the taste and sharp in the finish.

Double Wheat? Why?

2.01/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

This is a nice looking beer, clear light yellow and nice white head. Good lacing down the glass.

Aroma is so-so at best. Just the slightest hint of biscuit-like malt with a metallic note.

Taste starts out okay with a rich, malt-like flavor which quickly goes south with the aftertaste - it's like sucking on a dirty silver dollar or drinking from a rusted metal cup.

I have no idea what Shiner did with this beer, but I ain't going back to this one. I'm glad I only bought a single to sample. A good beer idea that, in this case, is strictly forgettable.

2.07/5  rDev -33.4%

12oz bottle into a Coca Cola pint glass.

Twist off cap makes for a easy open, the liquid pours out a light amberish mixed in with golden specs. A inch of cream colored foam bubbled and retreated leaving nothing on the glass. Smell is quite awful, very adjunct like, quite different than the Shinerbock I had earlier. Cornhusks and deep sweet malt, one sided. Wheat beer, Huh?? Comes off like a big light lager with no carbonation and a bland taste, just think adjunct. Feel is a bit bigger than light and like said just sort of dies on the tounge. I will not drink this again.

2.12/5  rDev -31.8%

Pretty gold, but looks very flat. No head whatsoever.

It smells like nothing. But then it warms up, and it smells a little less like nothing. Like, there's a little hint of wheat malt pepperyness.

Tastes like it smells. Almost amazingly faint wheat, but then there's a little bit of a medicinal aftertaste that makes it so the beer isn't even refreshing or easy to drink, it's off just enough.

Not quite a drain pour, but certainly not worth buying.

2.14/5  rDev -31.2%

I smell and taste corn. That shouldn't be what I'm smelling/tasting when a beer is a double wheat. This is not a horrible beer, but there is little to get excited about. A person I was drinking with compared it to Miller Lite. I would compare it to Labatt Blue. The beer is a little warm, so I will revise my review if the taste improves at a cooler temperature.

2.2/5  rDev -29.3%

First off I am usually a big fan of Shiner and their special beers, but who filters a wheat beer?

A - Again who filters a wheat beer? clear golden yellow with minimal head.

S - not much of anything, slight malty smell

T - I will admit I am drinking this after a quad so that is part of it but it seems way blander than I expected. I was hoping for something closer to a Grand Cru and this is not that at all.

M - Smooth and simple not impressed

O - Maybe I was expecting too much or thought that they were going for something close to a Grand Cru since it is a double wheat but that is not at all what this is. It seems to me that by filtering it killed the flavor and potential

2.2/5  rDev -29.3%

I pick up the taste of sucking on an old nickel. That's not what I'm looking for in a beer.
When I saw double wheat, i thought this was going to be great! I love wheat beers. Nope.

2.24/5  rDev -28%

Appearance - nice color with a srm of 7 or 8, very clear as it is filtered, no head, no lacing.

Smell - smells malty sweet, and faintly of corn and grape. i dont care for the aroma. cant smell the saaz or the goldings hops.

Taste - taste like it smells. and zero hops taste.

Mouthfeel - medium body, i miss the thickness of unfiltered wheat in this tho.

Drinkability - its ok, drinks easy and smooth for the 6.2% abv, better for hot weather.

I enjoy a good hefeweizen ( pyramid, shiner, widmer) and other wheat ales, but i cant taste wheat or hops in this brew, if you like wheat beer check out shiner's hefeweizen and skip this one.

2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

2.27/5  rDev -27%

Pours into a snifter pretty well, nice rich foamy head with a sticky, oily-like texture. Really thick like shaving cream, bubbly rocky surface. Perfect pitch honey color, perfect clarity which isn't what I really expect to see in a "double wheat". Surprisingly lively, lots of carbonation coming up from the bottom.

Smell is quite weak for the style as well. Faint wheat malt aromas, mostly tinny adjunct aromas. Not much spice or clove to be found, no banana at all. Pretty disappointing smell overall.

Taste is slightly spicy with a mild alcohol notes. Apple juice, very very slight hop whisper in the finish. Quick lived tastes and underwhelming. Green apple to is a dominant fruit taste; not sure how I feel about that. Distinct adjunct metal flavor makes this beer quite unimpressive.

Mouthfeel is well bodied for the double-wheat label, which is about the only "double" about this beer. Nice body heft, carbonation is a bit distracting.

Overall a huge letdown in terms of what I was expecting. First off, who the hell filters a double wheat? Madness, madness I say! Expected a spicier, creamy malty sweet big beer. Instead I get a aroma-less, limp flavored, hollow beer with no real "double"-ness about it. And to top it all off, it's not very good tasting just as a beer.

One more, you ask? No thanks. I've had one too many.

2.41/5  rDev -22.5%

A. Looks like a solid yet translucently clear golden straw color, one finger of head that falls down to nothing after a minute of sipping, no lacing left behind.

S. Very bready wheat scent with an oddball sour twang not unlike an even smaller version of the acidic tartness I once experienced in Bell's Oarsman. If it was done on purpose to be a Berliner Weissbier style it would have fit nicely, but sadly I have to rate according to the style the beer itself identifies as...

T. Same story as the nose. A beautiful psuedo-lactic whiff of tartness as an accent on top of a wheat malt density that has many flavor characteristics in the no-man's land between the categories of Pale Wheat Ale, Hefeweizen, and Berliner Weissbier, lending itself to a lot of style confusion and in the end it comes across significantly poorer for it. Most of the sweet malt flavors seem 'muddy' like as if there was chunks of dirt on the grain that never got washed off... I can't really recommend it.

M. Mouthfeel is where this brew plays it safe with a nice even carbonation and medium soft body.

2.46/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A - Clear dark golden in color. Head is foamy. Lots of big bubbles. Gets a little rock as it sits. Not much lacing.

S - Picking up some wheat and a bit of sweetness. There is also a big metallic smell. No too pleasant of a nose.

T - Corn like sweetness, somewhat bitter. Not picking up any hop flavor. Pretty one dimensional. Also has a kind of medicinal aftertaste. Not to impressed with this.

M -Kinda syrupy. Carbonation is pretty high. ehhh

D - I don't like this beer. I'm going to let my friends drink the rest. Just one for me.

2.48/5  rDev -20.3%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: 1 1/2 finger head. Light orange. Clear.

S: Wheat and a strange chalkiness I seem to find in most Shiner beers.

T: Interesting. There is a desirable quality here when tasting the full body of this but the brewery needs to do something about the flat chalky flavors.

M: Average.

D: Not very good IMHO.

2.48/5  rDev -20.3%

A - Pours a clear golden color with a good amount of head.

S - Strong scent of wheat.

T - Slightly sour. It is a little sweet and reminds me of a maibock.

M - It starts out sweet and finishes tart.

O - The name suggest a wheat beer but it doesnt have a lot of wheat flavor. Wasn't that impressed.

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%