Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,301 |  Reviews: 280

Drinkable and not very sweet.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.99/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.99/5  rDev +25.5%

To me this is one of the best summer seasonal beers. In my experience the summer seasonal beers can either be way too fruity or a bit lacking in body and flavor. I found this both refreshing and full of flavor.

As weird as grapefruit beer sounded it was just what my taste buds expected. The balance of citrus and bitter taste on my tongue was perfect. Top that off with a hint of ginger and they have me coming back for more. It is a shame that this one can only come once a year.

The color was what I expected from the shiner family. It had a slight hue of red or amber. The head was only 1/8 inch but that could be to to a poor pour on my part.

All in all my favorite summer beer.

3.98/5  rDev +25.2%

Golden amber color almost identical to their Kosmos Reserve. Medium head disappears quickly. Does have subtle, fruity aroma. Well carbonated. The touch of Texas Ruby Red grapefruit is pleasant in the taste/smell matrix.

3.96/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

what an interesting color for a beer was happy to see this on tap the person next to me drying it and it looked like a sparkling wine

this aroma smells just like a citrus fruit but underneath that there is that beer smell if that makes any sense

I drank two of them and I'm glad I did it was almost like a breakfast drink I will have more if I see it

3.96/5  rDev +24.5%

Shiner makes a great product, I may be biased due to it being the beer of Texas.

Appearance - The grapefruit makes the usual shiner look a reddish brown. It matches the taste and expectations well

Smell - It has a decent smell of the usual shiner but I didn't pick up any citrus. If it would have just a little bit more scent to it I would have been very satisfied

Taste - Now this is a summer beer! It is a great lambric style with a shiner front along with the beautiful sour/sweet grapefruit. I never would have thought it would be good mix, but it works well.

Mouthfeel - Superb mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation with citrus.

Overall - This is my summer beer. I usually do the Shiner 102 or hefeweizen but I have a new daily drinker

3.96/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

i used to drink shiner bock a good bit- it was the $2 beer at a bar i used to visit when i was in college. i havnt drank it much since. i tried this shiner ruby redbird expecting it to be super sweet. i was surprised and happy to be wrong.
it pours darker than i expected for a summer seasonal. its a golden pressing toward amber. the smell is heavy on the ginger with a little citrus. the taste is full of ginger with a nice, not overpowering, bitter.
i like this beer a good bit and i am gonna pick up some more of it.

3.96/5  rDev +24.5%

This is the first time I've ever seen this in stores, I wonder if I've just missed it the past few years or if it's really that new? Anyway, I had to try it, being a big fan of regular shiner and their bohemian black. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect, I read other people's reviews that said the ginger is overwhelming, not for me, it's barely there. The grapefruit comes through the most, and honestly it's hard to tell this is a beer. It's quite refreshing and the ABV is low enough that the citrus tastes pretty much drowns tasting any alcohol. The only thing about this beer that isn't superb is the aftertaste... grapefruit always did have an odd aftertaste and it comes through in this. You know the pine-y aftertaste you get from a really deep IPA? Have you ever tried grapefruit seed extract? It's pretty similar. This beer has a pretty heavy, not particularly pleasant aftertaste. It's not horrible, but it caught me off guard. Overall, I like it, it's something new and different and definitely fits the season.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner