Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,290 |  Reviews: 277
2.35/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 1 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Grapefruit in beer seems to really be catching on. Shiner comes out with their version of a grapefruit beer, which in fact gave me the suggestion of another beverage. At 4.01% alcohol by volume, this is, by a whisker, NOT a true session beer. Coming from a 12 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

I'm not sure if I'm looking at ale or ginger ale, as this among the most dullest beers I've seen. It looks like a de-fizzed soda with a squirt of visible bubbles. There's no head, the body looking still, and the color a faded orange. But its smell has something. I don't get grapefruit, but I get a good kick of pleasing ginger. Gosh, it smells like a ginger ale. Where's the beer?

Ruby Redbird sort of redeems itself as a beverage, as it tastes like a beer with added flavors. There's a generic dry pale malt backbone carrying a small springboard of red grapefruit and ginger. It tastes like a radler, and the taste isn't so bad. It's a light bodied beer with bubbles that remind me of soda.

Credit Shiner for trying, but let's bring out the shotgun, kill the Redbird, and walk back to the laboratory.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

average amber color decent head. has a sweet, piney, grapefruity, cleanser smell. taste about the same. A little to carbonated/acidity and waterer. Not something I would drink a again but I've had worse. If you like fruity, grapefruit beer you may like this. I'll give the rest to my daughter she likes that kind.

2.36/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured the color of light apple cider into a pint glass with a finger of fluffy white head. Medicinal aroma of ginger ale and grapefruit.

Lowish carbonation and a thin mouthfeel. Ginger up front followed by light grain and grapefruit (but not the hoppy kind).

Love the flavor combination in theory, but this wasn't for me (the wife enjoyed it, though). Tasted like flat ginger ale and dish soap.

2.37/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance - no head retention whatsoever. Looks a bit watery.

Smell - sweet. Citrus. Very lemony smell!

Taste - unfortunately not much of a taste, and anything I do get isn't very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - I will not have this again.

2.37/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Blaahhhhhh it's like cough syrup and ginger mixed together....so really good am I right?

2.4/5  rDev -23.3%

This is a love-hate beer and I find myself in the hate camp and surprised to see it still on store shelves.

The body and taste is "watery"/thin -plenty of citrus yet is more like a lager than a radler/shandy. I do enjoy the citrus aspect of hops and like grapefruit -which is showcased in this beer but the flavor comes from the fruit and not the hops in the case of Shiner Ruby Redbird. Perhaps as a Pale ale with grapefruit the beer would be more appealing.

2.42/5  rDev -22.7%

This beer pours a clear amber color with no head whatsoever. The aroma is strong with Ginger and grapefruit. The taste is similar to a Ginger ale and not much else. The mouthfeel is overcarbonated and dry. Overall an interesting idea for a beer style, but poorly executed.

2.44/5  rDev -22%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Poured a golden color.... no head, no lacing... Not a good start... looks flat.. giving a 1.5 because it looks a little like beer.

S: I'm getting the grapefruit right up front.... little hint of ginger.

T: OK, the ginger and malt hit first.... when a wave of tart grapefruit hits you and it hits hard... Finish is pretty clean with a little tart after taste.. Not much else here.

M: Light to mid bodied with no carbonation. A little flat.

O: Strangely not a horrible beer... I'm thinking I got a bad beer here... The tartness of the grapefruit was a little different from most fruit beers I've had.

2.45/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: Orange copper color with no head or lacing. A lot of bubbles stuck to the side initially.

S: I just get malty citrus in the form of grapefruit, plus a a tinge of ginger.

T: Grapefruit flavored ale, period. Ugh. As I was eyeing it up, a person in the aisle grabbed a six pack and said that he loved it, so I figured that would be the last one in my mix six.

M: Smooth, with just a bit of carbonation.

O: This was a letdown. I'd recently had Harpoon's Big Squeeze, which is a shandy with grapefruit juice and I'd loved it. But this is billed as a fruit/vegetable beer, so I guess that is the big difference. Anyways, not a fan and didn't finish it (cooked with it instead).

2.46/5  rDev -21.4%

Cannot taste the grapefruit at all, just tastes like I'm drinking pork dumpling sauce

2.46/5  rDev -21.4%

Not really a fruit beer. Not really a shandy. It simply does not "work". The smell of Grapefruit is "OK", but the overall flavor is like a lager that has had Grapefruit "essence" added at the end. Not very well executed.

2.47/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Clear amber color, with a non-existent head. This essentially looks like slightly carbonated green tea.

Has quite a subtle smell with the grapefruit being surprisingly subdued, at least considering my expectations. The label also notes that there is some ginger added - which is definitely noticeable. Overall a gentle, yet easily appreciated scent.

While I thought the ginger was fairly subtle in the smell, it utterly dominates the taste. The grapefruit is noticeable, but does not steal the show as it is subdued by the ginger, besides making an appearance a second or two.

The carbonation is quite heavy, with both the hops and malts being lacking. Easy to drink, hard to love.

2.48/5  rDev -20.8%

A: Nice looking reddish amber. Heavy carbonation present. Little/no lace or head.

S: Big ginger over a pale malt aroma. A little medicinal/antiseptic.

T: I love the taste of both ginger and grapefuit but this is not very good. Finishes metallic. Like weak ginger beer and pine sol.

M: Highly carbonated and invigorating.

D: Never again. "Fool me once..."

I really don't like or understand these novelty beers that have no direction or purpose.

2.48/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Pours a medium amber with a pinkish hue. Zero head upon pour, looks like a glass of fruit juice. The nose feature musty grainy notes paired with notes of wheat, vegetal notes reminiscent of squash, no real discernible grapefruit. The taste is a mess. It starts with tart citric grapefruit notes which are undercut by strong husky grain flavor. No hops to speak of, and no real balance between flavors. Mouthfeel is absent of appropriate carbonation... all I get is a bit of prickle sensation, but it seems out of place. Overall, not impressed. A grapefruit beer with citrus hops would be way more exciting than this, all we get here is an artificial tasting lackluster brew.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner