Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,311 |  Reviews: 282
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pale yellow-orange. Hardly any head.

As one other reviewer has said, this smelled like ginger ale.

It tasted like less-sweet ginger ale. Not much bitterness to speak of. I got the grapefruit flavor, but only because I was looking for it. As a grapefruit lover, I wish there had been more; it certainly could have helped balance the very-sweet flavor.

This is the first gingery-beer I've had, and I think I liked the idea of it more than the result; I'd rather it be a little more beer and less ginger-ale; mixing this 50-50 with a good wheat beer might result in a pretty good product.

Overall, it was a nice change and decent summer brew.

3.47/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into the free Shiner Bock mug I got with the sixer. Woo Hoo.... Free shit!!!

A) It's a yellowish orange. I guess that makes it amber. There was very little head and no lacing.

S) It kind of smells like a combination pine/grapefruit car air freshener. I think I mean this in a good way.

T) The initial flavor to me is that of lemon and grapefruit peel. The ginger is quite present in the finish, probably a little too much ginger for my taste. It does make it quite refreshing.

M) A light bodied beer, as you would expect. The carbonation seems right for the style. There is sizzle from the ginger.

O) Pretty good on a hot and humid summer day. This beer is certainly not for everyone, but I think Shiner hit the target they were aiming for.

3.48/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours clear and amber in color with an off-white finger width head. Fair retention, resulting in a broken layer of suds across the surface. Lacing is spotty with fair stick.

Smell - Moderate grain aroma. Light grapefruit.

Taste - Moderate notes of slightly toasted grain. Ginger and less discernible spices. Maybe some nutmeg? Grapefruit builds throughout the process, coming through in moderation near and into the finish. More sweet than bitter.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body with fair to lively carbonation. Goes down easy before a crisp finish.

Overall - A fair summer brew. The grapefruit doesn't quite shine in the way one might expect from the labeling, but it's presence is certainly not amiss. I'd drink this again if offered, but I don't think I'd buy it again.

3.48/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, pale-gold. One finger of frothy white head that dissipates to nothing rather quickly, almost like I was pouring a soda. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell: Smells a lot like ginger-ale, so I'm definitely picking up the ginger that the beer advertises. Some grapefruit rind in the background, but I'm not getting any of a grapefruit aroma.

Taste: Tastes a little like ginger ale, too. More bitter grapefruit flavors in the taste than in the smell. Bare hints of malt linger for quite a while, reminding me that this is a beer. There is a bitterness on the end, but it's hard to tell if it's from the ginger/grapefruit rind or from the hops. All that being said, this is a fruit/vegetable beer, advertised as being a summer beer, and in that sense, it succeeds. The ginger and grapefruit are both noticeable, though I would like to see a stronger flavor of both.

Mouthfeel: There's an initial fizzy bite with each sip, but the rest of each sip seems flat. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing with this beer, however, as it makes it easier to drink.

Overall: I think this is one of those beers where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This is a different, enjoyable summer beer, very refreshing after a hot day. While I think the grapefruit and ginger flavors could be more pronounced, I enjoyed this.

3.48/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden with a touch of ruby. Normal head volume, poor retention and no lacing.

Nice vibrant light nose of light sweet grapefruit over biscuit. As it warms, ginger comes to the forefront.

Light body with a texture similar to water. Superb carbonation with a bit of effervescence in the middle and a finely bubbled prickly finish.

With more intensity and complexity the flavor profile would be outstanding. Light grapefruit and ginger roll across the biscuit base. Middle bitterness is only a hint. The finish does deliver a nice burst of ginger and a nice spicy heat. Beef this beer up and it is an outstanding contender. As is, it's a good lawnmower beer.

3.49/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours joney colored with near zero beige head.
Zero head rentention & lacing

S: Peaches & grassyness, faint ginger notes

T: Peaches & grassy notes, plus red grapefruit up front. A touch of dryness, a bit of honey & more red grapefruit, along with white grape & faint peach notes. Finishes fairly crisp with a nice grapefruit sweetness/bitterness

MF: Light bodied crisp

A very easy drinker, that exceeded my expectations, going down good on a "cool" 95 degree Oklahoma evening

3.49/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

A great session or nightcap beer. Really light and refreshing.

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

I like grapefruit and I taste it some IPA so when I saw this I had to try it. Its not an IPA but its good. hard to describe, similar to a Weiss Bier and fruity. Better than Shiner Bock. Low alcohol. easy to drink. This is good for a hot humid summer night. I just with the ABV was higher.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner