Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 267 | Ratings: 1,246
2.71/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Im usually a huge fan of Shiner beer, however this one didn't settle too well with me. I had picked up this beer last summer thinking it might be a good one to quench the horrible Texas summer heat. Turns out I was wrong.

The beer has a nice red tint to it.

The smell is like a large piece of ginger, some grapefruit and a lemon got blended together and was stuck inside the bottle. It smells pretty good but can be a little overwhelming.

The taste is highly acidic for a beer (grapefruit causes this). It's pretty smooth but a bitter after taste.

Overall, id say this one isn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped it be. Nice try though Shiner.

Big thanks goes out to Mississipping and StayWhatYouAre2’s dad for sharing this one at a tasting recently! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to none extremely quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, ginger, and rice. The flavor was of sweet malt, ginger, wheat, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I was wondering why their dad was laughing as he brought this one out from the garage fridge to share. He even got more of a kick when I went to smell it. This was definitely not what I was looking for when I came to this tasting. The ginger on this one was what made it so bad in my opinion. While I usually like ginger, this one presented it in a way that I did not enjoy at all. Definitely would make a rather amusing prank on someone if you feel the urge, so keep that in mind.

3.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by grapefruit. Taste is tart, grapefruit, a touch of malt, not terrible but not really my thing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

2.95/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance is orange and brown in the glass. Soda pop carbonation that due palates hickory to nothing. Mouthfeel is also somewhat flat. Smell is not remarkable - smells like an ale with a hint of citrus. Grapefruit is present on the taste. It is upfront and provides a semi interesting twist to this beer. Probably it's best feature is the low ABV and sessionable nature. Best for a hot summer day served real cold.

3.59/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint: Transparent light gold with no head.

Smells of grapefruit & ginger (duh, I know, but yeah), lemon, a little tea.

Taste is citrus soda (Fresca, like) with ginger & a light, slightly musty & dry Euro-ish lager taste. Moderately crisp bitter at the end with nice grapefruit peel & ginger aftertaste.

Light-bodied with an assertive dryness & kick from carbonation that's apparently hidden visually. Leave a sort of heavy bristle in aftertaste.

Good summer sipper, & this is my own bias but I'm very into ginger late so that maybe gives it an extra little boost for me right now. Half-soda, half-beer.

3.54/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a clear golden with hints of orange. Non-existent head. Nice pickled ginger aroma. Taste begins with a big blast of ginger, followed by a bit of grapefruit sweetness. After that is a little bready maltiness. Very clean, neutral finish. Not bitter at all despite the grapefruit flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Overall a pretty good beer, light and refreshing.

3.04/5  rDev -2.3%

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a big fan of grapefruit, but my wife is. So, my review of this has this as a starting point. To start off, it had a nice looking color in the glass but not much in the way of head. You can definitely smell the ginger and grapefruit. It's a very interesting conversation. The taste is an interesting mix of grapefruit, ginger, and beer. I can't say that I preferred the taste, but my wife loved it.

2.58/5  rDev -17%

A-Pours a cloudy red grapefruit juice color. Head fizzles off to nothing. Actually does look like fruit juice. Doesn't really lace.

S-Ginger ale. Grapefruit too (and not derived from hops) Just grapefruit doused in granulated sugar. The creepy spawn of a Schweppes and Schlitz.

T-Ginger ale with sugary grapefruit. Then an odd yeasty component. Flavors combat one another. The ginger ale is very off putting. Beer?

M-Light but sugary. Plenty of bubbles. Like a soft drink; not surprising.

O/D-Ale brewed with ginger and grapefruit? About $6.75 a six-pack? I guess I'll give her a shot. Bad idea. My girlfriend loved it because it tasted so much like ginger ale. I hated it for the same reason. And boy, when this beer warmed, it really became frightening.

3.93/5  rDev +26.4%

Appearance: I don't love the foam or the lacing. I like the carbonation. I absolutely love the color! It's glowing amber-red-pink, almost radiant, but not unnaturally so.

Smell: Sour/bitter grapefruit. Extremely refreshing.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I have to admit I really liked this. It's amazingly refreshing on a hot summer day in Chicago. It definitely tastes like grapefruit, but doesn't seem artificial (although I don't actually know if this is the case or not). To be fair, the grapefruit does make it fairly one dimensional.

Overall Drinkability: A fruit beer that actually tastes like beer.

3.99/5  rDev +28.3%

To me this is one of the best summer seasonal beers. In my experience the summer seasonal beers can either be way too fruity or a bit lacking in body and flavor. I found this both refreshing and full of flavor.

As weird as grapefruit beer sounded it was just what my taste buds expected. The balance of citrus and bitter taste on my tongue was perfect. Top that off with a hint of ginger and they have me coming back for more. It is a shame that this one can only come once a year.

The color was what I expected from the shiner family. It had a slight hue of red or amber. The head was only 1/8 inch but that could be to to a poor pour on my part.

All in all my favorite summer beer.

2.8/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a dark straw color with a small white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of very light grain and a little citrus, but not that strong. Tastes of grain with citrus flavoring added, not that great. Beer is very smooth with its light body, but has a little too much carbonation. Overall, a very average beer.

3.12/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours golden with no head and no real lacing.

The smell is of sweet grapefruit and some ginger. There is a slight "beer" smell, but it smells more like a fruity malt drink.

The taste is of sweet grapefruit juice. Grapefruit from the juice, slightly "artificial", certainly not from the hops. There is some dryness from the ginger in the finish.

It is light-bodied and crisp.

If you want a nicely carbonated summer refresher with grapefruit juice and ginger that has some "beer" character it's not a bad choice. It is what it is.

4.22/5  rDev +35.7%

This is my favorite Shiner beer, but I also do like and drink grapefruit juice as well. Despite that fact, I was a bit apprehensive about "beer and grapefruit" but it was quite good. The amount and flavor of grapefruit was just right; not overbearing but enough to tell (without knowing the name) what fruit was included. Will definitely buy this again.

4.79/5  rDev +54%

This is my favorite all-time beer. It's really hard to describe-the grapefruit is there, but subtle. The ginger is there-but it's also just right. I don't usually like "fruit-infused" beers at all, and "Blue Moon" is too sweet for me, but this beer is incredible!

I literally almost got into a row over the last 12 pack last fall, when me and this other guy came into the store at the same time, panicked that it was almost gone. We lamented that this beer is seasonal.

3.67/5  rDev +18%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

It appeared as any other summer offering that's not too light.

Didn't have a strong smell, was crisp and light.

The taste reminded me somewhat of a shandy, with grapefruit juice used as opposed to lemonade. Very drinkable.

The mouthfeel, again, reminded me of a shandy. Not filling but very clean, easy to drink down.

It was enjoyable, seems to be a nice compliment to TexMex or other spicy foods. A good beer for a hot summer day.

3.4/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Good light summer beer. Has a nice grapefruit undertones. Nothing spectacular but good for what it is. I keep it out by the pool to enjoy on hot summer days in Houston. It is a bit thin, but part of the summer beer appeal. I drink it straight from the bottle so I can not comment on color or head.

3.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a pretty clear, slightly reddish amber - no head, but that must have been an artifact of the pour. Malty aroma has a dusty tone, like powdered fruit drink. Malty flavor has a fruity undertone, apple and cherry with a hint of pear, and a subtle sour undertone. Texture has about average body and fizz. I didn’t seem to get any grapefruit, but this is a tasty and distinctive beer. Let it fly down your throat.

2.15/5  rDev -30.9%

I poured this seriously nasty brew into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The brew (and I'm calling that because its not beer) was slightly red/pinkish and poured a really weak head. It smelled like coca cola believe it or not and was just about as carbonated tasting. The taste was fruity/sour yuk!. I love Shiner Bock but I'll never put another of these up to my mouth.

2.89/5  rDev -7.1%

Doesn't look like much, but it's not a total loss. Dark golden straw colored, think Bud only darker. There is the faintest of red mixed in. The head is white and you can hear the bubbles start to explode immediately. The head is thick, and gone, in no time.

I like the smell. Candy notes envelope the nose almost as soon as the cap is off the bottle. Has more of a cherry smell than anything.

Has a fruit-ish flavor to it, but not something I'd guess to be red grapefruit. It's clearly citrus of some sort, but it tastes like juice concentrate more than anything.

Little feel. Watered down. Slight carbonation. Tart. Almost a medicinal feel. Some heat on the throat in the swallow, but not sure where it comes from because it's not alcohol and it's not very hoppy (it's the ginger as it turns out).

Another swing and miss by the Shiner folks. Not something I'd want to drink again, even on a hot day as the bottle suggests. No character.

2.6/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a clear bright copper color with a small head that fades quickly to no lacing.

S: Aroma of citrus primarily grapefruit and ginger.

T: Taste of ginger and grapefruit with a hint of grain in the background. More of a tart than bitterness and a bit of lingering ginger.

F: Light body, crisp and refreshing.

O: Not bad for what it is. Goes best with hot summer days.

2.72/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: It pours a clear golden color and is topped with no head at all, when I poured it the carbonation that appeared left quicker than I could get it to show up.
Smell: The beer smells rather clean with just a hint of malt and hop aromas.
Taste: The beer tastes exactly as it smells clean and simple just like a beer on a hot day should be.
Mouthfeel: Redbird is a rather thin bodied easy drinking beer that I would have liked a lot more if it had a better flavor profile. This is a rather disappointing beer out of Shiner, TX.

3.47/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pale yellow-orange. Hardly any head.

As one other reviewer has said, this smelled like ginger ale.

It tasted like less-sweet ginger ale. Not much bitterness to speak of. I got the grapefruit flavor, but only because I was looking for it. As a grapefruit lover, I wish there had been more; it certainly could have helped balance the very-sweet flavor.

This is the first gingery-beer I've had, and I think I liked the idea of it more than the result; I'd rather it be a little more beer and less ginger-ale; mixing this 50-50 with a good wheat beer might result in a pretty good product.

Overall, it was a nice change and decent summer brew.

3.42/5  rDev +10%

Poured almost exactly like ginger ale, fizzy carbonation that disappeared instantly. Slightly yellower than ginger ale, but otherwise looks like pop.

Ginger is the main thing I pick up in the nose.

Interesting. I think I could create this with 50% ginger ale, 30% water, and 20% macro lager. Not really picking up the grapefruit, I guess that's why people use hops instead of actual grapefruit. That said, the flavor is growing on me. Light and crisp. Ginger in the finish, though sort of a stale grassy note in there as well.

Very carbonated.

You know, this was interesting, and I'm still not convinced it's actually a beer, but if I were in Texas and it was like 120 degrees out, I bet it would go down easy. Maybe I'm feeling charitable, or I just like ginger ale, but as a mindless summer beer, this was all right.

3.57/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a clear, golden straw color. Head is 1/3 inch and white. Lots of bubbles rising throughout, head retention and lacing were average at best.

Beer smells of sweet citrus and some straw malt. For some reason I'm getting the aroma of Sprite or 7-up. Ginger or cinnamon is also detected.

Taste is unique, part mexican lager, part fruit flavored malt beverage ie: Smirnoff. Ginger is probably the most dominant flavor in the beer. Light, crisp malts are also present, hops are not. Alcohol is non existent.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp and well carbonated. Head didnt contribute to beer, grapefruit left a bitter citrus-y aftertaste

Overall this was a good, light, thirst quenching summertime beer. Definitely unique with the ginger/grapefruit combo. Wish I could take a growler of this to the pool, great outdoor/patio beer.

3.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from the bottle a clear amber orange with a thin off-white head.

Aroma was primarily ginger with a hint of light fruit.

Like the aroma, ginger is the primary taste. I note a hint taste of grapefruit and light cracker.

Lighter bodied and a bit dry with a moderate carbonation.

This was more of a ginger beer than anything. I wish the grapefruit had been more bold. Probably won't have again.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner