Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,310 |  Reviews: 282

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.94/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On-tap 8/17/2014 at Battleship Brewhouse in Fall River, MA, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma smells a lot like ginger ale up front, then the grapefruit scent comes in along with some light malts.

T: The taste starts out with flavors of grapefruit and spices, but mostly ginger. The malt character is very thin and there is very little hops presence. The after-taste is slightly spicy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

O: A little flavorful, goes down ok, not filling at all, very mild kick, decent variation of style, this is just a mediocre beer at best.

3.51/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a nice head which evaporates before too long. Lovely orangey yellow shade of beer tone, however. Gingery aroma. Watery body and a pleasant prickly mouthfeel. A richer carbonation would improve this summer beer, however.

Lots of fruit with a citrus edge. The grapefruit taste is distinct without being very bitter. Actually, it doesn't taste anything like the grapefruit we say big hop IPAs taste like. Tangy ginger flavor gives this a spicy touch. Ginger ale, lemonade, and a Witbier taste. Thoroughly drinkable. From the 22 oz botle bought at Depot Liquor in Brownwood, Texas.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

The initial head is impressive, but it dies far more quickly than it should. In the end, there's only a thin number of bubbles along the edge of the glass. No lace. The color is light amber and clear.

The smell has a strong ginger bite. It smells like a ginger ale--the alcoholic kind.

Thin bodied with a high carbonation level. The malt base is thin and the aforementioned ginger is present almost as a spicy counterbalance to the light initial flavor. Reminds me of novelty beers--a bit of a one-trick pony.

4.35/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I CAN hardly CANtain my joy at having found this in the cooler at Bocktown (Robinson) during my recent visit to Da Burgh. The CANQuest (TM) rejoices!

From the CAN: "Summer Seasonal Beer"; "Beer brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Serve ice cold on hot days".

It is hot and humid and my asthma is kicking into high gear today, so this would be the day for it. It is plenty cold, coming right out of my reefer and once the Crack happens, an inverted Glug into my glass. The nose is amazing! The ginger is pungent and the grapefruit only enhances the smell. I got a brief finger of tawny head following the Glug, but the humidity killed it. Mouthfeel was thin and a little watery, but the taste was very gingery, almost tea-like in its mellowness. Finish was really dry and quite refreshing. I would load a cooler with CANs for a day at the beach.

My original Bottle review of 16 Feb 2013:

Local trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me, along with a buncha others in a mixed case. I always look forward to his CARE packages and I try to reCANpricate as best as I CAN muster between visits.

From the bottle: "The perfect summer brew"; "Summer seasonal ale brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Ginger [-] all natural tropical spice"; "Grapefruit [-] sweet citrus of the Rio Grande Valley"; "Serve ice cold on hot days"; "This crisp, refreshing summer seasonal is brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice, the signature citrus of the Rio Grande Valley. Tartness from the grapefruit and a delightful kick from ginger combine for a taste that's perfect for hot summer days. Its deep gold color and full body come from pure Munich malt and Mt. Hood, Citra and Cascade hops balance the flavor well."; "There's nothing finer! Than a summertime Shiner!"

I am always put in mind of the early Hawaiian Punch ads with Punchy, asking the tourist if he'd like a nice Hawaiian Punch. When he responds in the affirmative, Punchy promptly punches him, resulting in a black eye. I cringe in Texas, especially when ogling the Flying Saucer waitstaff and someone asks me, "Hey, pal, how'd you like a Shiner?" I do not follow my instinct and likewise nod in the affirmative and then go into a defensive stance. YMMV.

Did I mention my new student, named "Tawny"? What a great name, and I had a dense finger of tawny head with good retention following my pour. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was AMAZING - I caught an initial whiff of grapefruit, but then the ginger suddenly hit me in the sinus cavity! I actually sneezed in surprise. I am all for truth in advertising, but this was unexpected. The mouthfeel was medium, but it was abrasive in its flavor as I was basking in the ginger on the tongue. I still think that Clove Life Savers were the best I ever had as a kid and this reminded me of one of them. The tart of the grapefruit seemed to be lost until the swallow and its incredibly dry finish. No wonder this is a summer beer - it was like liquid alum. My throat constricted and I began to gasp for air. This wasn't dry, it was downright arid! Wow. I definitely want one at a more appropriate time of year.

3.49/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours joney colored with near zero beige head.
Zero head rentention & lacing

S: Peaches & grassyness, faint ginger notes

T: Peaches & grassy notes, plus red grapefruit up front. A touch of dryness, a bit of honey & more red grapefruit, along with white grape & faint peach notes. Finishes fairly crisp with a nice grapefruit sweetness/bitterness

MF: Light bodied crisp

A very easy drinker, that exceeded my expectations, going down good on a "cool" 95 degree Oklahoma evening

3.09/5  rDev -2.8%

12 ounce bottle - $1.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a golden-orange body, quite clear, and with a bubbly white head that was gone in the time it took to yell at Meemo the cat for clawing up the poor, defenseless carpet. That idiot.

Smell: Ginger. Ginger. Ginger. Ginger. Ginger. Grapefruit. It's like a game of "Duck, Duck, Goose" where every so often you'll pick up a hint of grapefruit and then can jump and run around the room waving your arms and hollering about.

Taste: The malts and hops really take a backseat here to the ginger, if they're even in the car at all, though there is a very small hint of basic grains. As my tongue develops an eventually immunity to the heavy ginger, I can pick up some of that grapefruit character with some tinges of tartness and citric acidity to it. That's about all there is to it.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Lightly carbonated.

Overall: Maybe the ladies will like it. I was considering waking up the girlfriend for a sniff and taste (of the beer, you horrible monsters), but I can already hear the "you woke me up to try some goofy beer?!" rant, so I'll bypass that headache. Me, I was not a fan of this, but I didn't get too angry about it. That'd be like getting angry at a can of Vernors.

1.5/5  rDev -52.8%

3.23/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

picked this up at Giant Beer garden & eatery in a mix-a-six poured chilled in a teku.

The color is deep copper with orange and bronze hues with quick to collapse white foam. The smell is peculier but not bad ...it smells like ginger ale -spicy and sweet with tropical accent. The feel is mildly carbonated with low bitterness and mildly sweet with a semi-dry texture and light body overall.

The flavor has a slight grapefruit flavor with mild tangy citrus tinge and light rind taste with some mild nuttiness of malt, again it seems to follow the nose, not great but not altogether revolting it just is...slight grapefruit soda essence comes to mind, but not sweet and not really bitter either. The overall take is if you really love grapefruit you may dig this, but it is more of a novelty than a serious beer with grapefruit added.

3.46/5  rDev +8.8%

Another fine Texan beer shared by Bobby.

Light amber color with a white head. Smells slightly citrusy, maybe some of the grapefruit coming though, but the ginger is much more prominent. Quite light overall. The flavor is quite heavy on the ginger, perhaps too much. A little bit of citrus, too. Quite refreshing, actually. Light body with medium carbonation.

3.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a light copper, no head, and a lot of carbonation rising to the top. Nose is strong ginger with just a hint of citrus. Taste is predominantly ginger with hints of grapefruit. The ginger really dominates, not in a bad way (because I like ginger), but the grapefruit doesn't get an equal share here. This beer is heavily carbonated, very light, and crisp.

It's not awful. It's at least different from most light, tasteless summer beers.

3.42/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a nonic pint glass and the head fizzed the whole way down. It didn't want to last to save it's life. Carbonation could be seen rising at a fast pace. No lace.
The aroma had a crisp sharp sparkly ruby red grapefruit juice coming across some pale malts and a light grassiness.
The flavor took all of those previously mentioned aromas to blend sweetly and cross the aftertaste together with a bit of a metallic feature coming across.
The mouthfeel was light bodied with a decent sessionability about it. Went down pretty quickly and had a brisk semi-sharp carbonation about it. Somewhat of a soda sort of texture about it.
Overall, I think I liked this more for me as it's a nice one after lawnmowing but it does seem more like soda to me. Odd, but I'd return to it on a hot day.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner