Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,294 |  Reviews: 278
3.49/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev +7.5%

L: dark gold in color. Small white head that did not last, has no lacing.

S: can smell the grapefruit and a hint of ginger. Has a very clean smell.

T: grapefruit hits you first and then the ginger sneaks in on the finish with a small bite

F: light carbonation leads to a dry tartness from the grapefruit

O: I like this but am not sure if it would be a beer I would grab if I had some other choice. The bottle said to drink ice cold but as I let it warm the favors started to pop better.

3.63/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear copper bronze with little head, smells predominantly of ginger slight yeast and crackery malt, tastes of bright ginger slight bitterness up front with a sweetness and citrusy finish, light mouthfeel, dry crisp finish.

3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

I guess this is what shiner replaced their Smokehaus (RIP) beer with. Smells quite a bit like grapefruit and a hint of ginger. I disagree with other reviewers on here that say the ginger is overpowering, I think it works fine. It doesn't suffer from the obnoxious sweetness that plagues a lot of the fruity beers I've tried. Fairly refreshing. I will miss the Smokehaus though (~~RIP~~)

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Poured a very small head that dissapated quickly. Otherwise has a very nice clear, reddish amber color. Carbonation level looks good.

S - mostly pick up the ginger, the grapefruit juice is also present. Otherwise just enough yeast/hops/malts to tell its a beer. Doesn't smell like beer but still smells pretty good.

T - it's not beer, but it's good. Reminds me very much of reeds ginger beer. The ginger is the most noticeable, with fruity undertones and a slight cereal grain flavor that let's you know it's still a beer.

M - not overly carbonated, good for what it is, less than a ginger ale which is good here.

O - this is something I picked up in a cheap make your own six pack at the grocery store just to give it a try. Honestly I thought it was just a summer seasonal from shiner and didn't see the grapefruit and ginger part of the label, and probably wouldn't have tried it if I had. I'm actually glad I did. Don't get me wrong, by my standards this isn't beer, which makes rating it here kind of difficult, but I gave it a decent rating because whatever it is, it's pretty good. I mentioned reeds ginger beer, which I really like, and this really reminds me of it. Very refreshing after a hot day. I would probably buy this again if I was in the mood for something a little different.

3.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

4.5/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This is one of my favorite summer beers. I love Shiner and I absolutely love ruby red grapefruit from the Rio Grande Valley. To me, this is a great combination coupled with some brisket and/or a day on the lake.

2.5/5  rDev -21.4%