Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,311 |  Reviews: 282

3.72/5  rDev +17%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: clear gold with a short-lived white head.

S: Ginger beer, with a vague grapefruit undertone. Judging by the smell alone, this should taste like some sort of sweet soft drink with a strong ginger kick.

T/M: Soft drink mouthfeel -- quite thin, minimal body. Impressive ginger kick that serves to mask some of the grapefruit's bitterness in the finish. Pleasant sweetness up front, most likely from the malt and the grapefruit. (Texas grapefruits are sweet.)

Overall: Does not taste like beer and is quite dangerous in that respect. Though the alcohol content is fairly low, it drinks like a good ginger beer and, thus, can lead to unexpected intoxication. It's great as a thirst quencher and balances ginger bite, sweetness and bitterness well enough to be quite effective as a session beer. Except that 4%ABV is sneaky.

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

3.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.5/5  rDev +41.5%

I great tasting beer to have

3.49/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev +7.5%

L: dark gold in color. Small white head that did not last, has no lacing.

S: can smell the grapefruit and a hint of ginger. Has a very clean smell.

T: grapefruit hits you first and then the ginger sneaks in on the finish with a small bite

F: light carbonation leads to a dry tartness from the grapefruit

O: I like this but am not sure if it would be a beer I would grab if I had some other choice. The bottle said to drink ice cold but as I let it warm the favors started to pop better.

3.63/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear copper bronze with little head, smells predominantly of ginger slight yeast and crackery malt, tastes of bright ginger slight bitterness up front with a sweetness and citrusy finish, light mouthfeel, dry crisp finish.

3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

I guess this is what shiner replaced their Smokehaus (RIP) beer with. Smells quite a bit like grapefruit and a hint of ginger. I disagree with other reviewers on here that say the ginger is overpowering, I think it works fine. It doesn't suffer from the obnoxious sweetness that plagues a lot of the fruity beers I've tried. Fairly refreshing. I will miss the Smokehaus though (~~RIP~~)

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Poured a very small head that dissapated quickly. Otherwise has a very nice clear, reddish amber color. Carbonation level looks good.

S - mostly pick up the ginger, the grapefruit juice is also present. Otherwise just enough yeast/hops/malts to tell its a beer. Doesn't smell like beer but still smells pretty good.

T - it's not beer, but it's good. Reminds me very much of reeds ginger beer. The ginger is the most noticeable, with fruity undertones and a slight cereal grain flavor that let's you know it's still a beer.

M - not overly carbonated, good for what it is, less than a ginger ale which is good here.

O - this is something I picked up in a cheap make your own six pack at the grocery store just to give it a try. Honestly I thought it was just a summer seasonal from shiner and didn't see the grapefruit and ginger part of the label, and probably wouldn't have tried it if I had. I'm actually glad I did. Don't get me wrong, by my standards this isn't beer, which makes rating it here kind of difficult, but I gave it a decent rating because whatever it is, it's pretty good. I mentioned reeds ginger beer, which I really like, and this really reminds me of it. Very refreshing after a hot day. I would probably buy this again if I was in the mood for something a little different.

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%