Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Ratings: 1,290 |  Reviews: 277

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%

4.22/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love grapefruit and it's my favorite out of all of the various citrus fruits. It would have been nice if the grapefruit flavor was more prominent. I definitely smell grapefruit but I get more ginger flavor than anything else. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. Overall, very refreshing to drink and not too sweet either.

3.12/5  rDev -0.3%

$ 8.99/sixer at Wegmans
Undated bottle at 40 degrees into imperial pint
Aroma of grapefruit and ginger
Head small (2 cm), white, fizzy, very rapidly diminishing to leave no layer of ring
No lacing
Body medium yellow, clear
Flavor begins with grapefruit and quickly fades to leave ginger. No alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl
Palate light, watery, lively carbonation

When I first had this three years ago, I really liked it. Now, not so much. It appears that the ginger has become predominant with the grapefruit taking a lesser role. It’s still OK, particularly since it’s a lawnmower beer. I can also detect a little skunkiness, probably thanks to Wegmans well-lighted cooler. It loses points for lack of head and lacing and for the skunkiness.

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

2.59/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I guess my impression of this was to be a Radler but a bit more beer, instead this never appealed to me. The color and appearance was thin and watery, as was the feel but it seemed to be more nothingness. The taste and nose are acrid and saccharine with an artificial grapefruit. The ginger is sour and earthy, very vegetative, with little malt. Not my favorite.

4.71/5  rDev +50.5%

I've been rapidly tasting craft beers for a few years and this is by far my favorite summer ale.. Grapefruit is f*&%ing disgusting but I was completely blown away by this fantastic beer. Very crisp light enough to drink a ton of em on a full stomach AND plenty of flavor.. This beer is not sissy although it is light. Reminds me of water skiing, the beach, the pool and grilled food. GANGSTA!

3.52/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I was expecting another shandy type offering but this is way more interesting.

a: nothing too special, thin head.

s: really, really gorgeous. Grapefruit and ginger on top of a mellow toasty smell.

t: not sweet. It's beer, not a cooler or a shandy. There's ginger but it doesn't taste like ginger ale, and there's grapefruit but it doesn't taste like a cocktail. No one particular flavour is really dominant, but it all blends really well.

m: fizzy and refreshing.

o: I bought one of these out of a singles bin and then went back for a twelve-pack. Really well done and more interesting than a lot of the other seasonals.

2.89/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

P- Wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA

A- clear light copper tone color. Minimal head and little lacing. No carbonation either.

S- ginger, ginger, and more ginger. Almost like smelling ginger ale soda. I don't get any grapefruit at all.

F- umm...its like drinking ginger ale with some grapefruit juice thrown in for good measure. The malts are weak and give no definition to the beer.

M- crisp, smooth and light bodied. Ginger Ginger Ginger

O- its good if you like drinking ginger ale with alcohol. I wont be having another.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner