Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Ratings: 1,286 |  Reviews: 275
3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

3.63/5  rDev +16%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has a singular purpose - quench your thirst on a hot hot day, and THAT it will do exquisitely well.

The addition of the ruby red grapefruit and ginger, adding to the astringency of the hops - outstanding combination.

This is a rather "light" brew allowing the flavor of the grapefruit and ginger to "shine" through without being overwhelming... You still know it's beer.

What tastes better after a long day in the hot sun; gardening, weeding, mowing? Of course - a cold brew. What tastes better than a cold brew after a long day doing yard work in the hot sun? Yeah... a Shiner Ruby Redbird.

No wonder the store sold out. (They had a whole pallet of this stuff on the floor on Friday. Monday it was GONE!)

Until now I did not like fruit in my beer. I may have to rethink that.

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

A- light amber with no head. Therefore, no lacing. There is a small amount of visible carbonation. It looks relatively lifeless.

S- very very light. Some ginger and yeast...not much else.

T- warming ginger spice, some grapefruit. Yeasty finish. Once again, this one falls short.

M- light bodied, prickly carbonation.

O- I was expecting strong ginger and acidic grapefruit... I received none of that. Not good.

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

2.2/5  rDev -29.7%

This was recommended by a clerk in my favorite beer store when another customer asked about it. It sounded appealing because grapefruit and ginger are favorites and I'm open to trying fruit beers. I bought a six-pack to try and what a disappoinment. I like ginger a lot but the bitter ginger flavor in this overpowered all other flavors. I tried a small serving again with friends a few days later during a meal and it was slightly better with food. Others thought it would be good on a hot summer day but I can think of many other beers I'd rather drink as an afternoon cooler. I will defintely pass on this.

4.5/5  rDev +43.8%

3.64/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is the first time that I have ever heard of this beer and I bought some and It is actually really good. It is refreshing and has a fruity taste to it. I have always liked shiner beers but this one is really good. The smell to it is not that bad as well. I tried it for the first time on vacation and I really liked it. I am hoping that I can find some here at home. Shiner made a good summer beer. It is refreshing and not too strong of a taste at the same time. The smell is actually good as well. It is not too heavy or too light and I like that. For anyone who likes Shiner beers they should try this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +39%

Not a huge Shiner fan but i love this beer despite that most reviews here are not favorable. It's a specific beer for a specific time of year (i.e. on a hot summer day). I find it incredibly light and refreshing. A perfect beer for a hot summers day.

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%