Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,286 |  Reviews: 275

3.51/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

What can I say? This epitomizes summer for me. A tasty, utterly refreshing seasonal brew that is light on its feet and refreshing when outside working or playing.

The grapefruit flavor is very evident in both the aroma and the taste and sets this apart from most citrusy summer brews—the grapefruit is very forward, very real and natural tasting, and if you like it (I do) very tasty.

This beer is pretty heavily carbonated; I feel like this makes it more refreshing and less of a complex, interesting drink.

This is my go-to summer-evening-outdoors beverage.

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

This really is the perfect summer beer. I found myself googling the 2013 in stores date in the winter. This is my favorite beer and if you have not had it yet then you are missing out. Most bars and grocery stores have it available from March - September so pick some up if you haven't already

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

picked this up at Giant Beer garden & eatery in a mix-a-six poured chilled in a teku.

The color is deep copper with orange and bronze hues with quick to collapse white foam. The smell is peculier but not bad ...it smells like ginger ale -spicy and sweet with tropical accent. The feel is mildly carbonated with low bitterness and mildly sweet with a semi-dry texture and light body overall.

The flavor has a slight grapefruit flavor with mild tangy citrus tinge and light rind taste with some mild nuttiness of malt, again it seems to follow the nose, not great but not altogether revolting it just is...slight grapefruit soda essence comes to mind, but not sweet and not really bitter either. The overall take is if you really love grapefruit you may dig this, but it is more of a novelty than a serious beer with grapefruit added.

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz, spring '13
Riedel tulip

A: Slightly pink, light orange color. Initially I got a thin layer of bright white. Then nothing. Carbonation but not head.

S: Ginger and fruit. Grainy grain.

T: Up front some spice. That ginger I assume. Sharp tart grapefruit. Clean dry finish.

M: Light bodied.

3.27/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this on draught over at Hill Country in midtown last week, and I was able to get a 6-pack of it this weekend for a grilling party where I was able to review it. I poured a bottle into a regular pint glass.

A: Pours a nice bright hazy golden, with a tinge of redness--almost a light, strawberry blonde coloration. Not bad. The beer was highly carbonated and it showed, and there was a one-finger head of big bubbles that quickly went down. Nice and translucent. No lacing. 2.75

S: Nothing spectacular: you do pick up a bit of the bright citrus notes and the spice upon opening, although the crisp grapefruit and spice/ginger flavors that come through very strong in tasting are very muted. The scent does not linger. 2.5

T: Actually quite tasty and refreshing: the grapefruit hits you over the head, and the spice is also very pronounced. You can pick up ginger, but also some other blend (allspice? nutmeg?), and the grapefruit flavors does tend to fade into a general citrus and green brightness as the beer sits. It's very light but not insubstantial, and it all leads to a nice tart/sour flavor that reminded me slightly of a spiced-up Berliner Weisse. Very light on the hops, and very light on the malt also; I have to say that had I not seen that red grapefruit was being used (noted on the bottle), I would have thought white grapefruit. 3.5

M: Very carbonated, which I don't usually like--but it seemed to open up the bright flavors. Had the feel of a spiced Fresca soda, which on a very hot day (outside, grilling) worked very well and was very refreshing. 3.5

O: To me, this is a perfect example of a situational beer--and really, that's all you can expect from any sort of seasonal, let alone a summer seasonal. I found the beer very pleasant for a hot day out by the grill--it's tart and refreshing, the hint of spice went fine with our meats and grilled veggies, and the very light character went down really well. With the nice bright tartness, I didn't miss the hops or malt one bit. As long as you keep your beer cold (the experience went downhill considerably as my beer warmed up), it's a great light choice with some character. For any other day but a hot summer day, I'd give it somewhere in the high 2s, but for a hot summer day it got the job done and then some: 3.75.

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

2.96/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Clear copper. Off white head recedes to absolutely nothing, no lacing.

Aroma: Spicy grapefruit, ginger notes. Little in the way of any malts or hops.

Taste: Very spiced, almost tastes like some bad pumpkin ales I've had. More ginger than grapefruit, but the grapefruit adds nice citrus.

Mouthfeel: Bright, carbonated.

Overall: Refreshing, but more of a novelty. Drinks too carbonated, like a soda. Glad I only bought a single bottle.

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

2.86/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Summer is a tough season for me with beers. Refreshment is generally not my main reason for drinking beer, flavor is. So summer seasonals, with a few exceptions, usually leave me wanting. Despite trying something different, Shiner Ruby Redbird is no exception.

Appearance was light golden blonde with the tiniest hint of amber/red. Little to no head retention.

Smell was heavy on the ginger with hints of citrus, more lemon than grapefruit. Also a bit of a must I usually associate with a macro lager.

Taste was that of a dry, slightly sweet ginger ale that someone had squeezed a lemon wedge in. There was very little hint that you were drinking a beer and not a slightly alcoholic ginger ale. Grapefruit was nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel was light and heavily carbonated with tiny bubbles.

Overall, while it tasted fine, it did not taste like beer. Shiner attempted to do something pretty interesting here, and while a crisp lager with notes of ginger and grapefruit still appeals to me, this unfortunately, is not that beer.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner