Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Summer

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,293 |  Reviews: 278

Worst beer I've ever had. Wish there were offerings lower than 1.

1.12/5  rDev -64.8%

I had high hopes for this beer. Shiner makes some good beer so I thought what a great idea. Boy was I wrong.

The beer looks nice as you pour it but that's where it stops.

Taste is just horrible. All I taste Is strong ginger ale and no grapefruit.

Mouthful reminds me of the fountain drInks that run out of syrup.

This has to be the worst beer I have ever had and I've had some bad ones.

1.16/5  rDev -63.5%

L- It looks fine. Clear. Gold. Nothing notable.

S- Foul. Just wrong. Think household cleaner. As I hold the glass to my nose I am dreading the first sip.

T- Not as bad as I was expecting but still very bad. At first stale & bready, then sickly sweet citrus, and then the stale flavor comes back. Debating pouring the rest out. That would be a first for me so I'll tough it out.

F- Soda water.

O- I don't really have anything nice to say about this. Wouldn't buy again or even drink again. At least there is some alcohol in it I guess. AVOID

1.19/5  rDev -62.6%

Out of a bottle into a pint glass.

I've been on BA for awhile and never written a review, but this time I just couldn't stay silent. I knew this would either be awesome or wretched:

As soon as I poured the glass I knew I was in for trouble. The color was okay, but the head and clarity was very seltzery and the light foam dissipated quickly.

I put the glass to my nose and was hit by a fruity, citrus smell that reminded me of a bad Grocery store Sprite knock-off.

My wife, who usually likes fruitier beers, summed it up fairly well. It tastes like watered down Sprite. You know how after ice has melted and you water down the carbonation as well as the flavor.

Too much carbonation and very watery, despite a very prominent nasty grapefruit aftertaste. I like grapefruit, but this tastes like chemical, over-produced, from concentrate type. Think of Orange Juice vs. Orange Drink.

Overall Impression:
When I last visited Sea World several years back (before I really knew much about beer besides that I did not like BMCs) I went to their Anheuser-Busch beer school and learned that beer is made of barley, water *rice? and hops. I'm a little shocked they still use hops. But that's another story. After the beer school they gave us free samples. They were trying out beer infused with fruit (this was before the BL Lime and Miller Chill crap) and they literally poured a Mich Ultra and mixed it with cherry (or whatever) syrup. It was God-awful. My point is that this beer is the closest thing I've tasted to that, since. It should be noted I've never tried BL lime. I was hoping for a light, slightly fruity nod to the IPA bitterness that can taste grapfruity. As a Texas beer drinker I'm also always in Shiner's corner, morally speaking. But this beer was so bad. So bad.

1.28/5  rDev -59.7%

I will make this review short and sweet. This beer is straight up nasty. The ginger is way over powering and totally dominates anything and everything. It tastes like diluted ginger beer, with a sickly ill deathly twang. The mouthfeel and carbonation is atrocious. This beer is just not viable to drink by itself.

The one saving grace is, it may make a perfect base for mixing. Grab some dark rum and use it to make a Dark and Stormy and thank me later. Really disappointing, by far the worst Shiner offering to date.

1.3/5  rDev -59.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Cranberry Shandy... Not very good.

1.39/5  rDev -56.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Pours clear gold color with a foamy 2 finger tan colored head that was full of bubbles and faded slowly, leaving zero lacing and no trace of foam.

Smells like pine sol, ginger, herbs, grapefruit juice and ammonia. It's just wrong smelling for a beer.

Tastes pretty much like it smells, but with some more lager like beer malty character and a whole lot more red grapefruit juice. Too bitter and the ginger adds too much chemical flavor for my liking.

Overall it was not enjoyable in any way. Sadly it reminded me of urine.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner