Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,290 |  Reviews: 277
2.6/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Interesting, my first review for a Spoetzl beer. I haven't noticed them around MA much but just saw this on a local shelf and got a single because... why not. Grapefruit and ginger surely sounds like a good combo.

A- Filtered dark orange body with some red hues in the center as you might expect from the name. A fizzy puff appears on the beer for very briefly before transforming to a tiny ring at the edges. Lacing is rather rare.

S- Ginger (which isn't exactly that aromatic here) and rarely anything else. Other hints I get are grapefruit juice, pale grains, fruit esters and caramelized sugar.

T- Ginger ale soda with a fairly strong hint of grapefruit juice and general citrus. A moderate sweetness and caramelized sugar note joins that with hints of apple and light fruit esters. Ginger spiciness has an authenticity to it.

MF- Extremely light bodied and defining watery as far as beers go. As far as texture, all I can really list is fizziness reminiscent of a soda with high-end carbonation. Finishes with slight spiciness on the palate from the ginger.

Refreshing with a moderate amount of true ginger flavor and spiciness. Similar to a ginger soda in both flavor and mouthfeel which is both a good and bad thing for a beer. For me it is just too watery and soda-like to be taken seriously.

2.6/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a clear bright copper color with a small head that fades quickly to no lacing.

S: Aroma of citrus primarily grapefruit and ginger.

T: Taste of ginger and grapefruit with a hint of grain in the background. More of a tart than bitterness and a bit of lingering ginger.

F: Light body, crisp and refreshing.

O: Not bad for what it is. Goes best with hot summer days.

2.62/5  rDev -16.3%

One of my least favorite beers I've tried. I just don't think it was for my pallet as it seems like it has some good reviews. I just did not like the taste at all.

2.64/5  rDev -15.7%

2.66/5  rDev -15%

Nice ruby-tinted amber color, but very little head.
Not much aroma to speak of.
Definite ginger flavor coming off the first sip. Little to no grapefruit flavor or feel despite the name sake.
Suggests it is best when served ice cold. Mildly refreshing at ice cold, but there are more refreshing beers with a lot more to offer.
Overall it doesn't do much well apart from color.

2.66/5  rDev -15%

2.67/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.7/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.71/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Im usually a huge fan of Shiner beer, however this one didn't settle too well with me. I had picked up this beer last summer thinking it might be a good one to quench the horrible Texas summer heat. Turns out I was wrong.

The beer has a nice red tint to it.

The smell is like a large piece of ginger, some grapefruit and a lemon got blended together and was stuck inside the bottle. It smells pretty good but can be a little overwhelming.

The taste is highly acidic for a beer (grapefruit causes this). It's pretty smooth but a bitter after taste.

Overall, id say this one isn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped it be. Nice try though Shiner.

2.72/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance: It pours a clear golden color and is topped with no head at all, when I poured it the carbonation that appeared left quicker than I could get it to show up.
Smell: The beer smells rather clean with just a hint of malt and hop aromas.
Taste: The beer tastes exactly as it smells clean and simple just like a beer on a hot day should be.
Mouthfeel: Redbird is a rather thin bodied easy drinking beer that I would have liked a lot more if it had a better flavor profile. This is a rather disappointing beer out of Shiner, TX.

2.73/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was expecting refreshing and light. It was light, and there were some interesting flavors brought about by the grapefruit and the ginger, but I didn't find it all that refreshing, a quality I seek in a brew that's billed as a refreshing summer beer. If it needs to be Ice Cold like the can says, then I guess that's a problem for me. I like a good ginger ale. I enjoy grapefruit very much. I'm not overly excited by this particular combination for refreshment. Maybe if it had been more wheat based without the ginger, I would have found it more refreshing.

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner