Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,279 |  Reviews: 275
1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

I can't imagine a worse beer than this.

1.47/5  rDev -53%

Bottled: unk

Got real excited for this, I love grapefruit raddlers, maybe this can be my summer 2013 beer?!

Pours a copper ale with brilliant clarity and no foam. Smells like sugar, some grapefruit (way too sweet), some pear and a little english malt. Pretty unimpressed so far. Tastes like a hot dog with some artificial sweetener and a little grapefruit - horrible. Thin with moderate carb and an off dry finish. That is a shitty beer.

1.49/5  rDev -52.4%

I picked this up at the Binny's store in Plainfield, IL as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99, making this single 12oz bottle $1.67. No freshness date.

The beer poured out a crystal clear light strawberry color but made just a thin white rim for a head and even that dissipated in under 10 seconds. There was also no lacing. Looked more like a flavored water than a beer.

Faint citrus smell along with a spiciness.

The spice turns out to be ginger and it tastes like a grapefruit flavored ginger ale with a nasty mineral water medicinal flavor to it. No malt to speak of and just 13 IBUs worth of bitterness.

Watery thin with very high carbonation.

This is horrid!

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%

Terrible. There's more ginger in this beer than in ginger beers I have had. The grapefruit adds nothing but an awful foil to the ginger.

1.6/5  rDev -48.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours light clear caramel yellow wtih a quickly dissipating fizzy white head. No lacing is left behind. The bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass are plentiful. This is very carbonated. It reminded me of pouring a soda with how the carbonation rushed out of it. The aroma is very faint. I can pick up some ginger, though it's pretty faint. There is some wheat in the smell as well. For being a grapefruit flavored beer, I can't really pick that up much of it in the aroma. There flavor is slightly tart from the grapefruit and spicy from the ginger. The flavors of the wheat malt are overpowered here. The grapefruit isn't as forward as the ginger, which is a little overpowering. The excessive carbonation is prickly on the palate. The body is light and the carbonation, as noted, is intense. What should be an easy drinker is actually very difficult to consume. It reminds me of a soda in many ways, but a low quality one. Overall, this is easily one of the worst beers I've ever had. Plenty of other breweries have produced better fruit beer that embraces the fruit while not betraying the beer characteristics. Shiner gets a failing grade for this one.

1.68/5  rDev -46.3%

Pours a clear golden amber color, spritzy, but with no head formation whatsoever.

Aroma is strong ginger spice, with a lemony fresh scent.

Flavor follows. Ginger dominates, finishing with a hint of bitterness from a hint of lemon rind.

Medium-light body, with bright carbonation. In all honesty, the lemony freshness of this beer tastes more and more like dish soap the more this warms. After a good run of new beers from Shiner, I have to say this one is ill conceived.

In six years on BA I have never rated a beer an F. Unfortunately, that string is now broken.

1.71/5  rDev -45.4%

I had this on Tap and in a bottle to make sure the first one wasn't spoiled or tainted. This beer is a decent amber color and smells like grapefruit and ginger. Not sweet Grapefruit and spicy ginger, but more like the essential oils used for perfumes. It tastes just like it smells, perfume and beer. I guess I give it points for the style and trying something new, but this is one of the worst beers I have ever had in my life. Not for me.

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%

pours clear bright copper gold with a 1/2 finger fizzy white head that left no lacing

smells like a fruity seven up with hints of ruby red grapefruit

taste is absolutely awful - it reminds me of a zima i drank in jr. high almost 20yrs ago

mouthfeel is thin - this is an over carbonated soda water they are passing off as beer

overall this might be the worst thing i have ever drank called beer - i got more beer flavor from bud select 55

1.8/5  rDev -42.5%

Picked up a 6pack at The Smoke Stack in Westpoint MS, I promise I won't hold this beer against them...

Poured a pretty golden color, promising!
Then I smelled it... and I should have stopped right there, soapy ginger smell, kinda like pickled ginger but more unpleasant. Tasted even worse to me, overwhelmingly ginger flavored with a bad almost stale beer undertone. I couldn't get past my 2nd sip. Maybe this is right to its style, if there even is such thing, but it sure isn't for me. I have no clue what I'll do with the remaining 5 bottles, too bad, I like most of their other offerings

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner