Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,279 |  Reviews: 275
2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

1.98/5  rDev -36.7%

I knew this beer would suck as soon as I heard Shiner had released it. Honestly, I don't wish to bash a Texan brewery but this beer is so God awful that bashing is deserved. Whoever thought it was a good idea to brew this beer needs to be tarred and feathered, at least. "The perfect summer beer," my ass!

Now, the Ruby Redbird doesn't look too too bad...if it was a ginger ale, because that's what it looks like. When a beer looks like a soda and sounds like it when you pour it out it's never a good sign. It has a sort of deep orange color, clear, and the head is overly bubbly. Wait, check that. It's fizzy and recedes quickly and completely. The head is gone before you know it.

How does it smell? It smells awful. I almost didn't drink it because it smelled so bad. Have you ever smelled bathroom cleaner? Well, this smells like grapefruit-smelling cleaner. It doesn't smell natural at all.

As my friend said, it tastes like the sweaty asshole of an illegal migrant worker. Now, I don't know how my friend knows what that tastes like, but if it's an accurate description of the Ruby Redbird then I'll be steering clear of sexual encounters with illegal migrant workers. Hell, I've worked with (possibly) illegal migrant workers and I bet everything I own they'd spit this beer out after tasting it, claiming it to be some evil gringo poison. And I would agree with them. But seriously, all tastes like a soda with grapefruit flavoring. Ginger adds shittiness to the end, not complexity.

It has a light...fizzy body. The carbonation is more like a soda than a beer, as I've emphasized already. I can't really tell if it's drinkable or not because it tastes so bad.

DON'T GET THIS BEER! If this was the last beer on Earth I'd refuse it. Thankfully I chose not to finish the whole thing.

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

4.5/5  rDev +43.8%

I great tasting beer to have

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

3.49/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev +9.3%

L: dark gold in color. Small white head that did not last, has no lacing.

S: can smell the grapefruit and a hint of ginger. Has a very clean smell.

T: grapefruit hits you first and then the ginger sneaks in on the finish with a small bite

F: light carbonation leads to a dry tartness from the grapefruit

O: I like this but am not sure if it would be a beer I would grab if I had some other choice. The bottle said to drink ice cold but as I let it warm the favors started to pop better.

3.63/5  rDev +16%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear copper bronze with little head, smells predominantly of ginger slight yeast and crackery malt, tastes of bright ginger slight bitterness up front with a sweetness and citrusy finish, light mouthfeel, dry crisp finish.

3.13/5  rDev 0%

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

I guess this is what shiner replaced their Smokehaus (RIP) beer with. Smells quite a bit like grapefruit and a hint of ginger. I disagree with other reviewers on here that say the ginger is overpowering, I think it works fine. It doesn't suffer from the obnoxious sweetness that plagues a lot of the fruity beers I've tried. Fairly refreshing. I will miss the Smokehaus though (~~RIP~~)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Poured a very small head that dissapated quickly. Otherwise has a very nice clear, reddish amber color. Carbonation level looks good.

S - mostly pick up the ginger, the grapefruit juice is also present. Otherwise just enough yeast/hops/malts to tell its a beer. Doesn't smell like beer but still smells pretty good.

T - it's not beer, but it's good. Reminds me very much of reeds ginger beer. The ginger is the most noticeable, with fruity undertones and a slight cereal grain flavor that let's you know it's still a beer.

M - not overly carbonated, good for what it is, less than a ginger ale which is good here.

O - this is something I picked up in a cheap make your own six pack at the grocery store just to give it a try. Honestly I thought it was just a summer seasonal from shiner and didn't see the grapefruit and ginger part of the label, and probably wouldn't have tried it if I had. I'm actually glad I did. Don't get me wrong, by my standards this isn't beer, which makes rating it here kind of difficult, but I gave it a decent rating because whatever it is, it's pretty good. I mentioned reeds ginger beer, which I really like, and this really reminds me of it. Very refreshing after a hot day. I would probably buy this again if I was in the mood for something a little different.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner