Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,291 |  Reviews: 278
3.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours out a clear, dark straw color with a thin white head that faded quickly. carbonation racing up the glass. It looks a lot like carbonated apple juice.

S: i get a lot of citrus in the nose. smells like grapefruit and lime. I also get a good amount of ginger, and some straw aromas. there is a sweetness in the aroma as well. i actually like the aroma.

T: i get quite a bit of ginger at first, and then it goes into a grapefruit flavor, and finishes bitter like a grapefruit. it needs a little more malt flavor i feel. it almost tastes like carbonated water, but at the same time i sort of like it.

M: thin and very carbonated.

O: overall i think this is a pretty good beer. it would be perfect for lounging at the pool here in phoenix. This is intended as a summer seasonal, and i think it fits that pretty well. It is thin and refreshing. i dont think i would buy this at the bar, but i would buy a six pack for my next pool party.

2.05/5  rDev -35.5%

Ruby Redbird

Served in New Belgium globe glass

A: Pours clear pale amber with a fizzy head that fizzles out immediately. Very good effervescence.

S: Smells like I cracked open a Vernor's. Beyond the ginger ale, I find no additional aromas.

T: No beer in taste, either. Grapefruit peels to ginger ale then medium bitterness and something like stewed vegetables. Bone dry. Finish is thin and faded ginger and grapefruit bitterness.

M: Light body and bright carbonation. Fizzy and crisp mouthfeel.

O: After a couple of drinks of Ruby Redbird, I thought to myself, "Are Texans really drinking this shit?" Honestly, the smell of freshly grated is such a tease when you follow it up with this beer. Gimmicky, one-trick pony.

3.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

I like grapefruit and I taste it some IPA so when I saw this I had to try it. Its not an IPA but its good. hard to describe, similar to a Weiss Bier and fruity. Better than Shiner Bock. Low alcohol. easy to drink. This is good for a hot humid summer night. I just with the ABV was higher.

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

2.5/5  rDev -21.4%

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

1.98/5  rDev -37.7%

I knew this beer would suck as soon as I heard Shiner had released it. Honestly, I don't wish to bash a Texan brewery but this beer is so God awful that bashing is deserved. Whoever thought it was a good idea to brew this beer needs to be tarred and feathered, at least. "The perfect summer beer," my ass!

Now, the Ruby Redbird doesn't look too too bad...if it was a ginger ale, because that's what it looks like. When a beer looks like a soda and sounds like it when you pour it out it's never a good sign. It has a sort of deep orange color, clear, and the head is overly bubbly. Wait, check that. It's fizzy and recedes quickly and completely. The head is gone before you know it.

How does it smell? It smells awful. I almost didn't drink it because it smelled so bad. Have you ever smelled bathroom cleaner? Well, this smells like grapefruit-smelling cleaner. It doesn't smell natural at all.

As my friend said, it tastes like the sweaty asshole of an illegal migrant worker. Now, I don't know how my friend knows what that tastes like, but if it's an accurate description of the Ruby Redbird then I'll be steering clear of sexual encounters with illegal migrant workers. Hell, I've worked with (possibly) illegal migrant workers and I bet everything I own they'd spit this beer out after tasting it, claiming it to be some evil gringo poison. And I would agree with them. But seriously, all tastes like a soda with grapefruit flavoring. Ginger adds shittiness to the end, not complexity.

It has a light...fizzy body. The carbonation is more like a soda than a beer, as I've emphasized already. I can't really tell if it's drinkable or not because it tastes so bad.

DON'T GET THIS BEER! If this was the last beer on Earth I'd refuse it. Thankfully I chose not to finish the whole thing.

3.53/5  rDev +11%

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

2.88/5  rDev -9.4%

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

4.5/5  rDev +41.5%

I great tasting beer to have

3.72/5  rDev +17%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: clear gold with a short-lived white head.

S: Ginger beer, with a vague grapefruit undertone. Judging by the smell alone, this should taste like some sort of sweet soft drink with a strong ginger kick.

T/M: Soft drink mouthfeel -- quite thin, minimal body. Impressive ginger kick that serves to mask some of the grapefruit's bitterness in the finish. Pleasant sweetness up front, most likely from the malt and the grapefruit. (Texas grapefruits are sweet.)

Overall: Does not taste like beer and is quite dangerous in that respect. Though the alcohol content is fairly low, it drinks like a good ginger beer and, thus, can lead to unexpected intoxication. It's great as a thirst quencher and balances ginger bite, sweetness and bitterness well enough to be quite effective as a session beer. Except that 4%ABV is sneaky.

3.49/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner