Shiner Ryes & Shine | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: Rye Beer

Medium-bodied, dark brown lager brewed with rye malt and chocolate rye from Germany, caramel malt and three hop varieties.

Added by tdm168 on 01-19-2012

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

4.41/5  rDev +24.9%

Once again, I am going to go out on a limb and guess that this came to me via local in-person trader, tone77, but I am not certain. I am certain that I am going to winnow down my backlog of bottles so that I may refocus on what really matters - The CANQuest (TM)! For now, however, it is bottle time.

From the bottle: "Limited Edition Craft Brew Shiner Brewer's Pride Selection"; "Roasted sweetness [,] spicy rye notes"; "Every drop of Shiner is brewed in Shiner"; "A little something special from the little brewery in Shiner"; "This Small Batch Brew is the second in our Limited Edition Brewer's Pride Craft Brew Series. It's a medium-bodied, dark brown lager brewed with rye malt and chocolate rye from Germany, caramel malt and three hop varieties. The result is a rich, roasted dry finish with a touch of sweetness and hops, which honors our old-world brewing traditions."; "Prosit!"; "Brewer's Pride in every drop!"

I have to say - if you are a visual person, Shiner beers are for you! My pour got me two fingers of dense, light-brown head with great retention. Color was a deep coppery-brown with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future. Nose was chocolaty with a black pepper spiciness. Mole! Mouthfeel was thick and full and the taste was initially chocolate until the rye spiciness kicked in and a peppery flavor took hold. Finish was semi-dry but the extreme finish was literally breathtaking as the pepper flavor just seemed to linger. Man, I could drink more of this, I'll tell you!

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

Part of the shiner family reunion six pack

Pours a dark brown, almost pumpernickle color. Clear but still hard to see through. Decent offwhite heaf.

Aroma is subtle and inoffensive.

Flavor is rich and toasty. A little bit of hop and rye spicyness. I would describe this beer as a dry brown lager with some rye notes in the background.

Excellent mouthfeel. Silky smooth with medium body.

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

It was just very good. So good I was prompted to join this community. It was the perfect combination of richness and sweetness, without going overboard in either direction. I gave the appearance and smell both a 3.0 as I didn't find anything remarkable (or off-putting) about either one. I'd write a more specific review if my boyfriend didn't finish them...which is fairly disappointing considering it's a four-hour drive to the closest place that sells it, and even then I have to hope they haven't run out of the limited release beer.

From the Shiner Family Tradition 12-pack. I split it with my brother-in-law on a recent trip to Texas.

I drank this one from the bottle while watching football. Some caramel, toffee, and chocolate can be smelled from the top of the bottle. The flavor is a balance of sweet and mildly spicy. The chocolate and caramel are strong and sweet up front followed by a smooth, mild spicy rye in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with a moderate amount of carbonation.

For a Shiner beer this one is more complex, rich, and balanced than I have come to expect. The chocolate rye malt really is a great ingredient here. I wouldn’t mind having more of these, but I wouldn’t buy the family tradition 6- or 12-pack to get to it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Dark-brown body with hints of amber when put in front of light. 1 finger head with fast retention.
Strong hints of malts, caramel, cinnamon, brown sugar, and toffee. Taste follows closely behind with a rather smooth backbone that disappears into a chocolately finish. Fair amount of biterness, but balanced by the sweet flavours that the caramel and brown sugar provide.
A bit over carbonated but still excellent.

Im glad I picked this up in a mix and match 6 pack. Very interesting and tasty. Well balanced and easy to sip on. Awesome.

Shiner Ryes & Shine from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner