Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
Read the review
Shiner Wild Hare Pale AleShiner Wild Hare Pale Ale

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by gtermi on 01-24-2012

1.33/5  rDev -59.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Very boring beer. Not very hoppy or flavorful. Would buy these for a large gathering if you're having a lot of people for a BBQ or want a decent beer that's not a light beer

1.4/5  rDev -57.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Umm... really? Why would a brewery create a bottle design DIRECTLY resembling Great Divide's? Here I am in the store, making a mix-a-six pack, and I pick this beer up thinking it belongs to Great Divide. I come home and look closely; lo and behold, it's from Spoetzl's! I smell a lawsuit coming shortly... someone educate me why this happened.

A: Mellow gold body, little to no head, nothing much here.

S: Smells like a stale beer to be quite honest, forget the "floral hops."

T: Taste is lacking. My tastebuds are not receiving the hops they used in the brewing process. I'm not exactly sure what's going on here.

M: Very light on the palate. Foregoing the taste, it is easily drinkable as I downed this in less than 3 minutes.

O: To be quite honest, I'm confused on why Spoetzl mirrored Great Divide's labeling and design. The beer is not all that "wild" and I'm disappointed overall.

1.48/5  rDev -55.4%

1.71/5  rDev -48.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Pours out burnt orange into a pint glass with a two finger white frothy head. Good head retention.

Scent is unmistakable lager and metallic smell of Shiner. This is an Ale, right?

Taste has those same Shiner characteristics, lager and metal. It's almost like 103 years of lager brewing has permenatly penetrated their tanks to make any beer have the same characteristics, no matter how many Golding hops they put in.

The mouthfeel is actually correct for the style, which makes me think they at least tried.

But overall this is an EPIC FAILURE

1.75/5  rDev -47.3%

1.75/5  rDev -47.3%

1.77/5  rDev -46.7%

This pale ale is harsh the food coloring taste resin ates on your young.

1.78/5  rDev -46.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle into maudite glass.

A- Pours a orange copper color that isn't exactly what I'd call "pale."

S- All I get is malt and metal.

T- "More than a pound of hops per barrel were used to produce this beer." Did you put any of them in the brew kettle or did you use them in some other way? The taste isn't bad but according to style it is way off. Tastes more like an amber lager (Shiner Bock).

M- Not overly carbonated and actually has a nice feel to it.

O- My roommate brought this home and I thought that maybe Shiner was going to make something a little more "craft" but then I poured the bottle into the glass. Will not be buying ever, glad I didn't this time.

1.81/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

I generally like Shiner, but this one misses the mark...bitter hops is all that is here.

1.91/5  rDev -42.5%

1.99/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

I really did not like this one. Upon reading reviews I was really excited to try this beer, as I love fruity beers. But I got no fruit flavor what so ever. I was very disappointed. The best thing about this beer was the appearance. It looked exactly how a beer is supposed to look. Nice amber color. Taste at first was kind of rotton but it got to tasting a bit bitter after that. I just did not care for it at all. I finished it out of obligation not to waste it honestly.

Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner