Shiner Prickly Pear

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Shiner Prickly PearShiner Prickly Pear
Notes: Doubly good in triple digits, our unique summer seasonal is made with the fruit of the prickly pear, a cactus native to Shiner, Texas. With a tart, citrusy flavor and a crisp finish, it’s the best use of cactus yet.
View: Beers
Reviews: 148 | Ratings: 810 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Lucular from Maryland

3.96/5  rDev +16.8%

12 oz can split with my wife, poured into a snifter. Slightly sweet, slightly tart, wheat and prickly pear. My wife and I both liked this quite a bit. Maybe we're just prickly pear fans because we both loved the original Sierra Nevada Otra Vez - wish they would bring that beer back.

Sep 28, 2020
teromous from Virginia

3.02/5  rDev -10.9%

From the bottom of the can: "062720OK+ 11:55:10"

Appearance: The beer has a gold colored body that has bright clarity. It has a short and fluffy head that is slightly off-white. It has moderate head retention. No lacing. Although the head doesn't last long or seem to coat the glass well, the body looks great even as the head flattens. While drinking the beer all bubbles will eventually disappear and the surface will be glass-flat with just popping carbonation bubbles.

Aroma: The aroma of the beer extends from the glass even before the nose approaches it, as it is poured and sits. It has this raspberry scent from afar. Closer, there are more raspberry and strawberry scents.

Taste: There is a light flavor of raspberry at the beginning and middle. Towards the finish there is a bit of wheat flavor. The flavors feel a little off though, as if it's mixed with tonic water. It's not a bad tasting beer, and in fact it can taste quite good on some sips, but it is not consistent with each sip and at times it becomes questionable.

Mouthfeel: The body is light and crisp with good carbonation. There is an odd bitterness that can crop up from time to time while drinking the beer and also it can feel a bit thin at times.

Overall: It's a bit of an oddball beer in that it is simultaneously good and awkward. The can states that this is a "BEER BREWED WITH PRICKLY PEAR FRUIT AND WITH NATURAL FLAVOR ADDED." It definitely has a fruity, berry-like flavor and aroma which is nice. I could see myself drinking this at a large gathering where somebody brought a bunch to share, but I probably wouldn't buy it over some of the other fruit beer alternatives on the market. It's still worth picking up if you want to try out a new fruit beer or a beer that is made with prickly pear, but I'd recommend trying it as a single or taster before buying more.

Mar 14, 2020
AngEo from Texas

4.12/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A style I don't like and reviewed with limited knowledge of what a good fruit/vegetable beer is. I will likely update later when I have more experience but that may be a while as I don't actively seek this type of beer out. It was a little sweet for me but this is redeemed as it doesn't taste artificial. Really nice full body that drinks smooths but feels light upon finishing. I can see why this is marketed as a summer beer. I would be happy to throw a few of these back poolside on a hot day. Overall I was GREATLY surprised with how much I liked this beer as I expected nothing and don't care for the style.

Mar 17, 2018
rodbeermunch from Nevada

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

This came with some other beers in a variety pack. The color is the usual golden lager color, but this has some darker colored fruit (prickly pear) that turns that color to a mix of pink red and gold with a super thin white head. Citra and Golding hops, but smells like all Golding. Seems like all the rage is writing "Citra" on a label, and then only using it for like 1% of the hop bill.

The taste is smooth, the mouthfeel is heavier than expected, I guess the prickly pear gives the beer some viscosity that the malt body did not. It finishes kind of dry. Stays away from bitterness, there is like no hop quality to this beer. It really comes down to whether you like the prickly pear being used. Kind of tastes like cranberry pear. Not a fan. Would not buy a 6 pack of this.

Nov 16, 2017
california_republic from California

4.04/5  rDev +19.2%

Discontinued, but I still have a bottle I bought in September 2016.

Look: Brownish

Smell: Green apple candy. Mixed in with malts, giving it the smell of a sweet dessert bread.

Taste: If you don't really know what a prickly pear tastes like (I've never had one), you might say that this beer tastes like green apple. Also tastes very buttery from whatever malts Spoetzl used, giving the beer an apple bread taste.

Feel: Lots of malt in this one, giving it a very buttery bread tasting finish with a lot of sweetness. There's also quite a bit of herbal character to it, like grass jelly. The apple smell also lingers, making this the closest thing to an apple pie in beer form I have had. If only apple pie had a malty and slightly bitter finish. Probably unintentional but very interesting nonetheless.

Overall: Not knowing what a prickly pear tastes like, I get a very vivid image of green apples instead. It smells very much like green apple candy and finishes like an apple pie. It's a very unique picture and not what I expected from a prickly pear fruit beer comparing it to Sierra Nevada Otra Vez. But it's also nuts to compare what amounts to an apple bock to a very wheaty and light gose. The thing is, I'm not sure why this is a summer beer because it's not crisp and it's quite heavy on the tongue without the citrusy brightness of something you'd expect for the summertime. Overall very interesting but maybe too different from what I'm used to.

Nov 27, 2016
q33jeff from New Jersey

3.07/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

06/01/15
Bottle to glass. Great aroma. Grape, wine, pear. Taste is less intense, aftertaste of baking soda. Still a good refreshing summer option. Very Southwest."

Oct 22, 2016
superspak from Ohio

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 10/3/2016. Pours crystal clear deep orange/copper color with a 1 -2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of big watermelon, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, pear, pineapple, lemon, toasted biscuit, light caramel, herbal, and floral/toasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance of cactus fruit and moderate bready malt notes; with great strength. Taste of watermelon, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, pear, pineapple, lemon, toasted biscuit, light caramel, herbal, and floral/toasted earthiness. Light herbal bitterness and slight fruit tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of watermelon, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, pear, pineapple, lemon, toasted biscuit, light caramel, floral/toasted earthiness. Nice robustness and balance of cactus fruit and moderate bready malt flavors; with a nice malt/bitter/tart balance, and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light dryness. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and moderately creamy/grainy mouthfeel that is nice. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4.9%. Overall this is a nice fruit beer. All around good robustness and balance of cactus fruit and moderate bready malt flavors; very smooth and refreshing to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

Sep 10, 2016
robatron84 from Texas

4.76/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my favorite beer. Everyone I have offered this beer to has loved it. I hate when it goes out of season, but when it comes back in the spring I love it so much more. The fruit taste is very unique and refreshing. It finishes strong and is light enough to have a few more. I am not a Shiner Bock fan but their seasonal beers like Prickly Pear, strawberry blond, and Ruby Redbird are special.

Aug 28, 2016
colts9016 from Idaho

3.37/5  rDev -0.6%

A mahogany color with some dark reddish orange hues with a good amount of carbonation. The head is white one finger head with poor retention. The clarity of beer is clear.

N: fruity, caramel, honey, toasty malt, yeast, and tarty/vinegar.

T: fruity, caramel, honey, toasty malt, cactus, earthy tart lemons, toasty malt, and yeast.

M: Carbonation, light, and crisp.

O: The beer is something different. I really don't like the flavors I was hoping for something that was a bit more refined instead of harsh.

Aug 21, 2016
ctylinebeer from Pennsylvania

3.36/5  rDev -0.9%

L - amber color, reddish hue; crystal clear , no haze; two finger head that quickly disapates to a thin layer/ring.

S - sour tartness, lambic like aroma. Apple/pear scent, not citrus.

T - all prickly pear; no hop bitterness; slight tartness/acidity at the end. Similar to a gose without the dry/salty taste.

F - medium light in body, light carbonation, tart and juicy finish

O - perfect beer for a hot Texas summer. I would recommend this for someone who wants to try something different in the fruit beer realm.

Aug 15, 2016
wmickdds32 from Ohio

3.67/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Look--light brown Amber with very thin head
Smell--not much, but not unpleasant
Taste--summery
Mouth feel-- a bit thin for my tastes. I generally like thicker, chewier beers
Overall-- decent summer beer. I won't be pining for it when it's cold outside

Jul 30, 2016
BeerAndGasMasks from Virginia

3.49/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From the bottle, it pours a clear amber with a small - american lager type - head, quickly dissipating. Odd smell in the nose, possibly the prickly pear?? Somewhat funky flavor, prickly pear??, but definitely characteristic of all the prickly pear beers I have ever had...

Jul 24, 2016
samhandwich from Connecticut

2.2/5  rDev -35.1%

I picked this up (in cans) because I love the company's Ruby Redbird on a hot day. This one is disappointing, though. The smell is immediately artificial, as is the flavor which seems to clash against the beer flavor. I will be pawning off the rest of the six pack on unsuspecting friends. Glad I got some Ruby Redbird at the same time.

Jul 09, 2016
chrishiker1409 from New York

3.49/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Pours with a beautiful copper hue with a bubbly three fingers of head. It dissipates rather quickly.

S: Prickly pear (though I don't really know basing it off what I got from otra vez). It is a distinct aroma.

T: Prickly Pear, slight tartness. At first the taste just disappeared on the finish. As I drank more I noticed a slight bitterness on the finish.

F: Light bodied, moderate carb. Goes down easy.

O: This makes a great hot humid day summer drinker. Refreshing.

Jul 05, 2016
got2 from District of Columbia

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

The first thing that you notice about Shiner's Prickly Pear Summer Seasonal is the smell. I haven't tasted a prickly pear recently so I can't say how accurately it copies it but for me it took me back to the my youth, when I drank all sorts of pseudo-fruit sodas.

It's not terrible, but a bit odd. Luckily, it fades quickly.

The color is a rich and coppery, almost like a penny. The taste is somewhat evocative of its scent but milder.

The carbonation is off the charts, and a bit less would have been welcome.

There's a slight bitterness at the finish, not IPA-like by any means, but a bit of a nip.

Shiners Prickly Pear beer is interesting, though mainly as a curiosity. It's inoffensive, and relatively refreshing, despite seeming over-carbonated.

Jun 11, 2016
taters21 from Ohio

3.47/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a nice amber color with one finger of head, recedes quickly.
Smells rather fruity, yet funky, sour even, reminds me of sierra Nevada otra vez, minus the salt.
Taste is lightly bitter, fruitiness is really subdued, quickly tastes of malt and little else.
Mouthfeel is light, but juicy, refreshing.
Overall, a letdown from having such a potent smell and nice color to having such weak taste.

Jun 04, 2016
Wer34truh from Minnesota

3.57/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This pours a rather large head, with a clear amber color. Light visible carbonation.

This smells of fruity and dank sweetness. Also has a sour undertone. The drink this smell reminds me the most of is a traditional Scandinavian pear cider. This certainly does not smell like a regular beer, but is quite enjoyable nontheless.

I enjoyed the taste of this less. The funky sweetness from the smell is subdued, and there is an added bitterness. While I think the taste is more nuanced than the smell, I felt like it didin't own its weirdness quite as well as the smell.

Mouthfeel is light, fairly juicy, and moderately carbonated.

This is a solid beer. I wish I hadn't gotten a twelve-pack, yet friends that tried it enjoyed it so I don't think I'll have a problem getting rid of it. Certainly not a lame beer!

May 28, 2016
Bryan12345 from Texas

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Any time a brewery tries something new, they get points for trying (in my opinion). This is a unique, easy drinking beer. Personally I like the sweet flavor.

Mar 18, 2016
mmmbeer89 from New Mexico

1.97/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I like a lot of shiner beers but this one I just couldn't get into at all. The flavor is not good, the smell isn't much better. When the look is it's best attribute it's not a good beer.

Mar 02, 2016
yuenglingfan101 from Ohio

4.75/5  rDev +40.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

not a bad beer at all. it taste fruity and smells fruity but its not as fruity as i thought it would be. give this beer a chance and see what it can do for you

Feb 02, 2016
stevoj from Idaho

2.62/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Points for brewing with this odd ingredient, although aroma is a bit off-putting. Taste is sweet, but flat and dry. Saving grace is this beer’s beautiful look, light, clear amber with nice fluffy head. Not sure about the taste of the prickly pear however....

Jan 13, 2016
BeerSamurai34 from Texas

A very meh beer. Not much complexity with a weird funky quality. The pear flavoring was clearly very artificial and almost syrup like. I didn't hate this beer, but certainly wouldn't buy it again.

Jan 07, 2016
billybob from Massachusetts

3.97/5  rDev +17.1%

I have never had a beer with such a unusual taste very different but enjoyable. its the first time I have seen beer from this brewer and the first time I have had a beer made with prickly pear cactus. many of you may turn your nose up but I like to try different and unusual beers. drinking the same style of beer all the time is boring to me. so try it and let me know what you think.

Nov 25, 2015
_drummer_ from China

4.58/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a surprisingly good beer. I tried it not knowing what to expect - it's very sweet yet has the Shiner taste that I love. I would call this a summer beer, personally - great for a hot day while having a barbecue.

Nov 09, 2015
puck1225 from Texas

3.36/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A summer beer still in the frig. A light crisp beer with a slightly sweet fruit flavor. Poured a clear dark yellow from a bottle into a pint glass. Thick short lasting head and good lacing. Had a goal tonight at hockey and this Shiner was just right before going to bed!

Nov 03, 2015