Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Shiner Prickly Pear | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Doubly good in triple digits, our unique summer seasonal is made with the fruit of the prickly pear, a cactus native to Shiner, Texas. With a tart, citrusy flavor and a crisp finish, it’s the best use of cactus yet.

Added by EgadBananas on 06-29-2012

3.99/5  rDev +18.8%

Nice taste. Kind of like an otter pop with all the juice sucked out. Refreshing and an enjoyable brew.

3.99/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. This beer has a very unique fruit flavor that I found very enjoyable. The beer is a clear amber/copper color with a small white head. The beer is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A unique beer experience that I would recommend for anyone who is into fruit beers.

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

Great flavor. It is a little sweet so I had to switch back to shiner bock after a couple.

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

I have never had a beer with such a unusual taste very different but enjoyable. its the first time I have seen beer from this brewer and the first time I have had a beer made with prickly pear cactus. many of you may turn your nose up but I like to try different and unusual beers. drinking the same style of beer all the time is boring to me. so try it and let me know what you think.

3.96/5  rDev +17.9%

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev +17.3%

Since I'm in west Texas, I had to try this when I saw it. I liked it.

3.93/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.93/5  rDev +17%

Found in a Shiner Family Reunion 6-pack.

I thought the beer was good. it was refreshing and smooth. I am not a huge fan of fruity beers but this one was pretty mellow and not over the top flavored with fruit.

A: had it out of the bottle.
S: nice and light.
T: smooth and light, very nice.
M: very nice, light and not overdone for a fruit beer.

3.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: Copper color with a 1/2" white head that dissipates quickly. Moderate lacing. Good carbonation.

Smell: Fruity. Pears, mangoes, peaches.

Taste: Fruity, pears, much like the smell.

I started to think that all Shiner beers sucked. This is a totally decent fruit beer with a unique character. It's a session beer that is thirst quenching and satisfying. If you're into fruit beers, this is definately worth a shot.

3.9/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

3.89/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Spoetzl Brewery "Shiner Prickly Pear"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no freshness dating
$1.50 @ Outlet Liquors, Rehoboth Beach, DE

Appearance: Clear. Surprisingly dark copper body. Short headof off-white. Limited head retention and lacing.

Aroma: Fruity and candyish.

Flavor: Some maltiness steps in but the berry-like fruitiness and sugar-candy notes remain dominant. It's sweetish but not sweet, and it finishes fairly dry with lingering fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light in body but with a dextrinous edge. Its Fine-bubbled median carbonation gives it a little bit of needed zing to start; and it becomes soft and smooth halfway through as it warms a bit.

Overall: In a way it's just another fruit beer, but there is something unique about it. Not a bad choice for summer.

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I have enjoyed Shiner's Ruby Redbird (their other frequently made fruit beer), I was curious if I would like this or not.

It isn't great but isn't bad either.

I poured it from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Light amber-copper colored. Clear. Not much head but still attractive.

Aroma is fruit-heavy, maybe some sour apples.

Flavor is interesting. Pretty sweet with lots of fruity notes from the cactus and I would assume some other fruit, but balanced well by the nice level of hops.

Medium mouthfeel with a good bit of carbonation.

Overall a nice summer session beer. Not great but at least a little bit different. I hope Shiner continues to find ways to incorporate Texas produce into their beers (pecans, peaches, grapefruit and not prickly pear --- all great choices).

3.86/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Prickly Pear. It reminds me of dry dusty places where all you want is a refreshing gulp of brew.

A (Appearance) Poured out of a bottle into a Boulevard Tank 7 glass. There wasn't much lace to the head. It poured as a thin, frothy foam over a cider like pour.

S (Smell) Hints of apple, hints of pear, and hints of sunshine poured over lemon yogurt.

T (Taste) This was the best part for me. It was a surprisingly tart taste. In a world where hops reign, this is a queen. Sweet, yet tart. Bold, with a taste that is individually unique. While it is sweet, and tart, it doesn't conform to the idea of a "girly" drink.

M (Mouthfeel) Tingly on the inside. Bitter on the tongue.

O (Overall) This beer brings me back to my imaginary travels through the desert. I come upon an oasis, and a lovely woman awaits. She hands me a glass, with a thin frothy head. I drink deeply and I am refreshed.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance - Amber color with very thick head. Head looks to be a off white to beige color.
Smell - Fruity, Sweet, raspberry.
Taste - Mild beer, Little bitter but not in a bad way, citrus taste. Aftertaste is where you taste the prickly pear. Excellent.
Mouthfeel - Not too carbonated but feels real good going down.

Overall - I was really surprised by the flavor and smell of this beer. I was recommend this to anyone wanting to try something different.

Shiner Prickly Pear from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner