Shiner Prickly Pear | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
Read the review
Shiner Prickly PearShiner Prickly Pear

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Doubly good in triple digits, our unique summer seasonal is made with the fruit of the prickly pear, a cactus native to Shiner, Texas. With a tart, citrusy flavor and a crisp finish, it’s the best use of cactus yet.

Added by EgadBananas on 06-29-2012

Reviews: 141 | Ratings: 760
3.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours with a long lasting off white head.. the brew itself is fizzy orange.

Nose shows bright/up-front watermelon and pink bubblegum... I guess this is the prickly pear!!

Flavor shows the same decent fruitiness but a bigger pale malt/wheaty element helps push but mutes the fruits.

Light fizzy carbonation on a light bodied beer....

Okay... I would drink this again.. I guess.

3.25/3.5/3.5/3.25/3.25

2.29/5  rDev -31.4%

Wow.. Wow.. This brings to mind the flavour of bottle cap candy and fizzies mixed together. Fruity like straw candy bad.. except straw candy fruity tastes a bit better than this entry. This is a bit of a throwback to the Bartles and Jaymes Era of Fruit Coolers.. Ack!! I mean.. this is NOT a good bear. Wait did I say Bear?? I meant it's difficult to bear this "beer"!. It's debatable that this IS a beer..!!! I really Like Shiner Breweries Entries for the most part. this is NOT one of them..
Wow! and not in a good way..
~Carry On Citizens!!!~
sMc

2.69/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with branded twist-off pressure cap and standard label art acquired as part of a Shiner variety pack and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery and concept - I like the idea of a pear lager (I love Tusker Lager, which has a great pear flavour). Reviewed as a fruity lager because it identifies as such itso-facto on the label. "Beer brewed with prickly pear fruit and with natural flavor added."

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a two finger wide head of beige colour. Disappointingly thin. Little creaminess or frothiness. Decent inconsistent lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is average - about two minutes.

Body colour is a clear yellow-copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks pretty standard for a pear lager. No overt flaws are obvious. Not unique or special.

Sm: Immediately, I recognize artificial fruit extract flavoring - green apple and pear. Sweet and candi-like. Not quite cloying. Pilsner malts, pale malts. Has a minimal floral hop presence. A pleasant aroma of moderate strength.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Heavy fruit extract/flavoring. Green apple, pear, grape. Lightly tart. Minimal floral hop presence. Too sweet and artificial overall. Pilsner malts, pale malts. Dreadfully simple and one-dimensional. Zero complexity and subtlety. The balance could use work as well (in spite of its simplicity). Candied. I'm not a big fan of this one.Too sweet.

Very shallow depth of flavour. Average intensity and duration of flavour.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Overcarbonated. Okay body and thickness. Okay presence on the palate. Suits the flavour profile generally well, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it.

Dr: Downable but uninspired. I wouldn't get this again; very artificial. Pedestrian beer for the hoi polloi. I wouldn't recommend it to friends or trade partners. I'm glad I didn't buy a 6 pack or anything. A disappointment from Spoetzl.

High C-

3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle with no date poured into a Summit pint glass

clear reddish orange color. very small head and almost no lacing. smell is light, airy, wheaty, with a hint of pear. taste is a light and crisp wheat with a pear finish. feel is slightly cloying but overall pleasant.

decent wheat beer with a pear kick. get it if you're into that sort of thing.

3.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Found in a Shiner Family Reunion 6-pack.

I thought the beer was good. it was refreshing and smooth. I am not a huge fan of fruity beers but this one was pretty mellow and not over the top flavored with fruit.

A: had it out of the bottle.
S: nice and light.
T: smooth and light, very nice.
M: very nice, light and not overdone for a fruit beer.

2.63/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass

A: Amber, clear, about a pinky sized head, little carbonation, big air bubbles stick to the glass.

S: Pear, honey, and a perfumy smell that comes under the pear. It smells very fruity.

T: Sweet. This is probably a little sweeter than I would like but I would attribute that to the fact that there isn't much hop flavor to balance out the sweetness. It's not bad, it's just very fruity.

MF: Creamy, smooth, and leave an oily feel to the mouth. Very light beer.

O: I've had other fruit beers before but I didn't enjoy this one as much as I would've liked. I thought it wasn't very balanced and was overly sweet.

3.73/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Found this in my local supermarket's make-your-own six pack selection, bought with a couple of other less popular Shiners. I'm not a big "fruit beer" fan, but I found this one pretty enjoyable, especially b/c you get the fruitiness a bit more in the smell than in the taste.

Appearance -- deep amber golden, really lovely pour w/ nice creamy head
Smell -- pear in the forefront but a really nice, not-too-sweet malty honey nose
Mouthfeel -- really drinkable, not watery at all, smooth
Taste -- what I love about the taste is that it comes off less "fruity-sweet" and more "fruity-deep", as in a good wine, if that makes sense. Still not as malty/hoppy as I like, but wonderful for a "fruit beer."

Enjoyed this one

3.22/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint.

A: Translucent, medium amber hue. Pours a 1 finger, bubbly, white head which quickly dissipates. Slight lacing quickly retreats into the body of the brew.

S: Light malt, but the prickly pear is prominent. Not overwhelming are anything, but it is the outstanding aroma.

T: Light, pungent, bready flavor base. Some clove, fruit pith, and bubble gum.

M: Light, bitter, and pungent. Kind of tongue-coating, bitter finish.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is okay. Bubbly head, no real lacing. Nose is light with a distinct fruit aroma. Light, pungent, and bitter with a slight sweetness. Overall, this is a decent quaff.

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - dark copper with a thin, bubbly, loose, white head that fades quickly

S - hints of prickly pear and alcohol

T - grainy, faint toasted malt notes, faint caramel, hints of the prickly pear

M - crisp, over carbonated, medium bodied that is thinned out by the carbonation

I'm not really sure what to say about this one. I was expecting a more pungent fruit presence, but it's really subdued. The bottle also promised a citra hop citrus character, but I don't get any of that. In the end, this is a rather nondescript, simple fruit beer. I'm glad I tried it once, but I don't think I'll be buying any more of this.

3.59/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Found in a Shiner Family Reunion 6-pack.
From the bottle to a Sam Adams laser-etched glass.

A - Nice golden color, with a thin and quickly dissipating head.

S - Sweet, fruity, surprisingly sour smelling. It smells slightly similar to sour candy.

T - I can taste the cactus, it's "green" tasting, kind of grassy and refreshing.

M - Medium bodied with a light aftertaste and some lingering cactus.

Summary - I really enjoyed this brew. It's better than Shiner's other fruit beer attempt "Ruby Redbird" and I would be much more likely to buy a 6-pack of this. It's different, has a unique flavor, and would go well with food or alone (which is how I drank it).

3.01/5  rDev -9.9%

Shiner Prickly Pear pours an orange color with an off white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is very sweet almost to the point of being cloying. The body is quite thin, the flavor is on the sweet side, but not as sweet as one would guess from the aroma. A touch fruity, but not a lot going on. This cactus flavored beer is an interesting oddity, but hardly a compelling beer.

3.77/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. No freshness date.

A- Pours a dark amber with a 1/4 inch light tan head that retains a bit before soon fading to a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a small patch of surface foam. Half decent lacing compared to other Shiner beers.

S- Crisp aroma with some apple/pear-like sweetness that reminds me of Juicy Juice. The malt comes in and lends a toasty characteristic leading to notes of brown sugar and sweet tea.

T- Flavor isn't as lively with more of a lager flavor pushed up against a minimal amount of pear and berry-like sweetness. There's a noticeable amount of toasty malt that balances things out. Highly drinkable.

M- Certainly not prickly but rather thin and slick. Medium carbonation and a medium-full body.

O- Probably the best Shiner beer I've had which, as you can see by the score, isn't saying much

3.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

"This small batch brew is the third in our Limited Edition Brewer's Price Craft Brew Series. A combination of Citra and U.S. Golding hops gives this refreshing lager its citrus flavor and floral aroma. The brew's signature tartness comes from the fruit of the prickly pear, a cactus native to our brewery's landscape that's hearty, rugged and unmistakably unique- qualities we surely appreciate. Prosit!" Brewed in the style of a fruit lager. Available as part of the 2012 Family Reunion 6 packs or 12 packs. No visible date.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Served above 45º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crunchy, crispy off-white head with average staying power, surprisingly good for my standards with Shiner. Lacing is specked and very light. Body color is a very mildly hazy amber-orange with sporadic spritely carbonation. The appearance is quite good for this beer. 3.75

(Smell) Wow, this is a very fruity aroma. Very fruit notes forward, highly potent, perceivably prickly pear, but a little less cidery and more berry-like in its aroma. Mild grassy and citrus hops lend a hand but have a hard time cutting through the already fruit-heavy aroma. A subtle pale malt sweetness doesn't contribute much to the aroma but probably isn't needed as much anyways- the aroma is already very sweet from the fruit character. The fruit, while unique and enjoyable is a bit syrupy sweet in the aroma, making for a natural imbalance, but this is certain to find a few people's likings. 3.25

(Taste) Flavor has an equal emphasis on the sweet as well as on a bitter tartness, always welcome for me. Mildly tart wildberry flavor with a faint residual sweetness is a better-balanced sweetness character for me. It's still front-and-center in the flavor, with a pale malt profile giving it a hint of body and a grassy hop note here and there complimenting the tartness for a better balanced but spritely and clean finish. I have a bit of a soft spot for fruit beers, as I personally enjoy the flavor but understand that a bit more balance would have been more desirable. The malt character is a touch shallow, and I don't doubt some malt body would have created an even more complex and unique flavor. Mildly dry finish with a bit of soft grain huskiness. 3.25

(Mouthfeel) There's a buzzy carbonation presence that does more creaminess and foam than stinging crispness. Body for the style is medium, and amongst all beers is slightly below medium. Alcohol presence is very well hidden by the fruit notes. I found the carbonation presence enjoyable for this beer. 4

(Overall) I still don't get why Shiner holds out these types of beers for their limited releases when they're easily more enjoyable and flavorful than their staple beers. If you haven't had a prickly pear-led beer before then you're in for a treat. A more berry-tart aroma than cidery acidity obviously leads this beer, but it's not a complete palate wrecker- somewhat light body makes for likely repeat drinks, and if I had more to enjoy I'd certainly take them up on that. 3.5

Spoetzl Brewery's
Shiner Brewer's Pride Craft Brew No. 3: Prickly Pear
3.4/5.00

3.19/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

a: pours a deep copper with around a half finger of tan head, dissipates to a thin film

s: very sweet, aroma of raspberries, and an underlying hint of malt and corn. while an enjoyable scent, the image it brought up was a Four Loko without fusel alcohols.

t: while I will admit I don't know what prickly pear fruit tastes like, the flavor is much less sweet. perhaps a bit like a less wheaty and less sweet Abita Purple Haze. nicely carbonated to cut the sweetness.

o: of course more of a hot weather beer. i know lots of non-craft beer friends that would quite enjoy this. more of a novelty for me.

3.74/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Produced about a finger, and a half of white head. The beer color is a translucent, medium amber.
The aroma is of prickly pear, and biscuits.
The taste is similar, but not as bold as the smell had indicated.
Light mouth-feel, and fairly high carbonation.
Good beer, for what it is. My wife would enjoy this more than me.

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Nice Amber to dark ruby color with a nice white ehad that diasapated rather quickly. Very pretty beer

S- Very sweet smelling. Smellled like raspberries to me.

T - Not nearly as sweet as it smelled. I was not expecting that. I would almost call iit more tangy than sweet. There is a definate bitterness on the finish.

M - Would call it a light to medium bodied beer. Lots of bubbles.

O - A very intersting beer. I was happy with it. Not something I would drink all the time but wouldnt mind picking up a sixer every now and then. Very drinkable beer. I wouldn't call it complex but it has some very interesting flavors.

3.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to my Uncle for this donation... Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, Shiner Prickly Pear is a perfectly clear, slightly caramel but golden in color with a pillowy white head. Beautiful looking Lager. The nose is quite fruity sweet, much more than I had anticipated - smells more like a wine-cooler than a beer. The flavor reflects the same, very fruity - almost berry like flavor that again is more reminescent of a Segram's. Mouthfeel is medium in body with a creamy, viscous carbonation and a smooth, neutral finish. Overall, I may have over-reacted to the beer's fruitiness. While offputting at first just due to the immense berry fruitiness of it, the beer is actually well balanced, finishes clean and leaves you wanting another drink. I would like to know how much of this is prickly pear and how much is "natural flavor added".

3.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Discovered as part of the Shiner family sampler pack.

This one pours a lighter saffron amber, with a generous finger or so of head that quickly dissipates. The lacing's spotty, no retention. Some clouds.

The smells hits you as soon as the beer leaves the bottle. It reminds me of carbonated juices like Izze - Not an artificial or sugary smell, just a faint whiff of fruit.

The taste is pretty faint as well. Flowery and fruity, but barely so. It's backed by a clean grain and an agave-like sweetness. That said, the aftertaste is tinny and reminiscent of the average stadium beer.

The mouthfeel is thin, but not off par for the style. It could be livelier in the carbonation department, given the bright, more subtle flavors.

Overall, I give shiner points for effort. I was impressed by the quality of some of their beers, and while this one fell short of the rest, I do commend them for bringing in a fruit beer that is unique, geographically pertinent, and not loaded with unnecessary sugar and spice.

3.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into 9oz pilsener glass. Poured a clean, clear amber-gold color with less than 1/2 inch of off-white head that had OK retention and low lacing.

The aroma was certainly on the sweet side, a bit sweet, with some gentle grains and nice even hops. On the tongue, it was the same story. A soft grain base, a bit of smooth hops and mostly the fruity sweetness.

The body was pretty good, smooth, even, clean and easy drinking. Drinkability was very good, I'd have a couple of these on a warm day. Overall, I liked this beer. It was somewhat of a surprise (the only other Prickly Pear beer I'd had, hadn't impressed me, but it was from Widmer), I'd say it's probably a must try if you see it, but maybe not worth a lot of effort to obtain.

3.35/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A pretty good easy-drinking pool side, refreshing, lawnmower beer. Not the greatest. I would like it to be a bit more tart (its not very tart to begin with).

Slightly tart, a fruitiness. maybe a bit of watermelon? Obviously from the cactus, but not really sure what that taste like on its own. slight hint of raspberry...like you would get in a raspberry wit that is light on raspberry

3.32/5  rDev -0.6%

Auburn colored and clear, head was about a finger and lace is so-so.

Aroma is that of grape soda, sweet and fruity.

Flavor is a bit more complex, fruity and sweet, herbal, and I suppose.... cactus.

Body is light and well carbonated, with an almost dry finish.

It's interesting, if not the brewery's best effort. Not bad.

2.19/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured fresh from bottle to a glass.

Appearance: Something of a light copper color. Easy to see through and quite effervescent. It certainly looks appealing and inviting. Slighter more copperish than a standard pale ale.

Smell: It doesn't have much of a smell other than sweetness. Specifically, my first impression of the smell is something like agave syrup.

Taste: Disappointing. At first I thought it was just too cold to taste all of the flavors so I let it get to a cask temperature. There is almost no taste to this beer. The sweetness is either overpowering all of the other flavors or it is just only a sweet beer. I know that a prickly pear is somewhat sweet but this reminds me more of an agave beer than anything else. No hop flavors and no usual malts are detectable.

Mouth: Also disappointing. Very light mouth-feel; not much thicker than water. Dissipated rapidly on the tongue.

Drinkability: Moderate. I say this instead of high, frankly because the taste doesn't make me want to drink much of it. If you had a six pack of this you could easily blow through all of them rapidly, thanks to lightness and low alcohol content.

2.65/5  rDev -20.7%

Part of the family reunion sixer picked up at the local convenience. Lets give it a whirl. Popping the top is a very sweet not pear but raspberry smell. Pours to a light bronze wit a multisize bubble off white head that disappears immediately. Taste is a deep sour fruit with some bitterness and a dry light finish. Mouthfeel is sparkly. Not my style.

3.17/5  rDev -5.1%

A: poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, copper colored with a 1" white head that dissipates leaving some lacing, clear
S: sweet fruit smells of apple and pear, citrus hops, sweetest and fresh
T: taste is watery with little happening, sour fruits mixed with light lager
M: thin with a ton of carbonation, constant streams of bubbles,finish is crisp
O: I got excited over the look and smell, let down by taste, I would have liked more complex flavors to match the delicious smell

2.96/5  rDev -11.4%

Clear amber in the glass and a nice appearance. Well carbonated with a light moouthfeel. Faint aroma of

Rather sweet and quite fruity. Somewhat tangy, but not at all like citrus taste. Rather faint grape flavor. A touch of cherry Kool Aid as the tartness kicks in. Quite mellow and not the least trace of hops. Just an earthy touch at the end.

Actually too bad, though it's hard to pin the flavors down. Not the usual faint wheat beers with fruity flavors, either. The lack of malty and hoppy beeriness will cause me to skip it next time. From the 12 oz bottle purchased at H and H Beverages in Abilene, Texas.

Shiner Prickly Pear from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner