Shiner Prickly Pear | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Shiner Prickly PearShiner Prickly Pear

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Doubly good in triple digits, our unique summer seasonal is made with the fruit of the prickly pear, a cactus native to Shiner, Texas. With a tart, citrusy flavor and a crisp finish, it’s the best use of cactus yet.

Added by EgadBananas on 06-29-2012

Reviews: 141 | Ratings: 755

From a bottle into a snifter. I got this in a shiner variety pack a month or so again. I see it's been retired since then.

Champaign gold in color with thin head but lots of lace.

Smell is pair and orange. It's almost overwhelmingly fruity in the nose.

Tast follows the smell exactly. Orange and pair with some bitter hops. Very unique match of flavor and heavy sweetness.

Lightly carbonated and smooth but not as easy drinking. I couldn't have more than one before the sweetness got to me!

3.09/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a transparent, but delicious-looking rich brown.
The smell is of raspberries. Seems like raspberries to me, anyway. Maybe that's what prickly pears smell like, though. I don't know.
Taste seems kind of like raspberries too. It reminds me of a New Belgium attempt at frambozenbier that I had one time. But this is far better. The beer goes better with the fruit in this. Since I don't know what prickly pears are supposed to taste like, I'm at a loss to know how much impact that exact flavour makes. It's very fruity, though. It just tastes like berries to me. Berries in a light brown ale. Decent stuff.

2.43/5  rDev -27.2%

I'm not terribly interested in fruit-flavored beers to begin with but I couldn't see the appeal in this one, period. Tastes like vintage candy you'd buy in the tourist destination store.

3.74/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Produced about a finger, and a half of white head. The beer color is a translucent, medium amber.
The aroma is of prickly pear, and biscuits.
The taste is similar, but not as bold as the smell had indicated.
Light mouth-feel, and fairly high carbonation.
Good beer, for what it is. My wife would enjoy this more than me.

3.46/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - a light amber color, with zero head.

Smell - You can smell the citrusy hops in it, as well as the pear.

Taste - Its a sweet and fruity taste, with the pear flavor as more of a aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - a bit weak body, but a good amount of carbonation.

Overall - I was expecting the pear to be more present in this beer, but a decent beer overall.

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Clear and golden with a lot of carbonation. Floral smell. Fruity...with maybe a touch of bubble gum? possibly...tastes a lot like Zima with a little bit of beer mixed in.

3.77/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: This beer pours an amber color and is topped with a good inch of off white head that tends to hang around quite a few sips into the beer.
Smell: The smell is like none that I remember it has an odd tartness to it that is quite intriguing. The blend of hops and that prickly pear tartness has my mouth watering.
Taste: The taste is a bit disappointing in comparison to the taste not that it is bad just not quite as bitter as I had hoped.
Mouthfeel: I love the mouthfeel of this beer it is just what a warm day in Ohio is suppose to be easy drinking but good flavor that keeps you wanting more.

3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

Appearance: Copper color with a 1/2" white head that dissipates quickly. Moderate lacing. Good carbonation.

Smell: Fruity. Pears, mangoes, peaches.

Taste: Fruity, pears, much like the smell.

I started to think that all Shiner beers sucked. This is a totally decent fruit beer with a unique character. It's a session beer that is thirst quenching and satisfying. If you're into fruit beers, this is definately worth a shot.

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Copper colored. Sweet berry flavor -- raspberries and candied pineapple. I guess this is what a prickly pear cactus tastes like. Light refreshing mouthfeel, overall I like it a lot. Fruit/veggie beer often rubs my fur the wrong way but this is a very pleasant taste that goes well with the malt.

3.79/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear gold, leaves a half inch white fizzy head that recedes fairly slowly, leaves a moderate amount of lacing on the glass.

Smells absolutely wonderful, though maybe slightly manufactured scent. Fruity notes abound.

The taste was surprisingly sour, but that's fine by me. Sour fruit notes take most the entire profile, it's good but not amazing.

Light bodied, a little gritty, medium low carbonation.

A surprising taste that could have been balanced a bit better, but I found this to be quite a unique beer.

3.36/5  rDev +0.6%

L - amber color, reddish hue; crystal clear , no haze; two finger head that quickly disapates to a thin layer/ring.

S - sour tartness, lambic like aroma. Apple/pear scent, not citrus.

T - all prickly pear; no hop bitterness; slight tartness/acidity at the end. Similar to a gose without the dry/salty taste.

F - medium light in body, light carbonation, tart and juicy finish

O - perfect beer for a hot Texas summer. I would recommend this for someone who wants to try something different in the fruit beer realm.

2.35/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Looks smells and sounds great. Initial taste is sweet then highly artificial and chemical and then the finish is that of a bitter beer. Not to my liking due to the artificial flavor

3.62/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden amber with a two finger head. The boar is nothing but fruit. Pear, apple juice, grape, fruit leather. The flavor is didn't bitter with a sweet finish. Refreshing. Neither good nor bad.

3.46/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Smells and tastes like the pear jelly belly. Easy beer to drink but pretty sweet. I like it more than several of the Shiner beers. It tastes like they poured pear flavored snow cone syrup into a beer.

4.58/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a surprisingly good beer. I tried it not knowing what to expect - it's very sweet yet has the Shiner taste that I love. I would call this a summer beer, personally - great for a hot day while having a barbecue.

3.47/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a nice amber color with one finger of head, recedes quickly.
Smells rather fruity, yet funky, sour even, reminds me of sierra Nevada otra vez, minus the salt.
Taste is lightly bitter, fruitiness is really subdued, quickly tastes of malt and little else.
Mouthfeel is light, but juicy, refreshing.
Overall, a letdown from having such a potent smell and nice color to having such weak taste.

3.54/5  rDev +6%

This beer pours darker (darker than Yuengling lager) than I expected and was deceivingly sweet smelling but is not sweet when drank. It was very floraly in the smell and the taste. When people tried it they usually had more then one. Near the end of the keg it started tasting bad and I had to pour off maybe the last ten pints.

3.67/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Look--light brown Amber with very thin head
Smell--not much, but not unpleasant
Mouth feel-- a bit thin for my tastes. I generally like thicker, chewier beers
Overall-- decent summer beer. I won't be pining for it when it's cold outside

3.19/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

a: pours a deep copper with around a half finger of tan head, dissipates to a thin film

s: very sweet, aroma of raspberries, and an underlying hint of malt and corn. while an enjoyable scent, the image it brought up was a Four Loko without fusel alcohols.

t: while I will admit I don't know what prickly pear fruit tastes like, the flavor is much less sweet. perhaps a bit like a less wheaty and less sweet Abita Purple Haze. nicely carbonated to cut the sweetness.

o: of course more of a hot weather beer. i know lots of non-craft beer friends that would quite enjoy this. more of a novelty for me.

2.29/5  rDev -31.4%

Wow.. Wow.. This brings to mind the flavour of bottle cap candy and fizzies mixed together. Fruity like straw candy bad.. except straw candy fruity tastes a bit better than this entry. This is a bit of a throwback to the Bartles and Jaymes Era of Fruit Coolers.. Ack!! I mean.. this is NOT a good bear. Wait did I say Bear?? I meant it's difficult to bear this "beer"!. It's debatable that this IS a beer..!!! I really Like Shiner Breweries Entries for the most part. this is NOT one of them..
Wow! and not in a good way..
~Carry On Citizens!!!~

3.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Discovered as part of the Shiner family sampler pack.

This one pours a lighter saffron amber, with a generous finger or so of head that quickly dissipates. The lacing's spotty, no retention. Some clouds.

The smells hits you as soon as the beer leaves the bottle. It reminds me of carbonated juices like Izze - Not an artificial or sugary smell, just a faint whiff of fruit.

The taste is pretty faint as well. Flowery and fruity, but barely so. It's backed by a clean grain and an agave-like sweetness. That said, the aftertaste is tinny and reminiscent of the average stadium beer.

The mouthfeel is thin, but not off par for the style. It could be livelier in the carbonation department, given the bright, more subtle flavors.

Overall, I give shiner points for effort. I was impressed by the quality of some of their beers, and while this one fell short of the rest, I do commend them for bringing in a fruit beer that is unique, geographically pertinent, and not loaded with unnecessary sugar and spice.

4.48/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very cool combination of pear and a light lager. Beautiful color and refreshing taste makes it a good summer pick. Very "prickly " adds to the refreshing experience.

3.74/5  rDev +12%

Picked a six up on a whim. The beer hits the nail on the head for the prickly pear flavor. Slightly fruity and crisp. Good carbonation and overall drinkability for a shiner beer. Perfect for golf on a hot summer day

2.63/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass

A: Amber, clear, about a pinky sized head, little carbonation, big air bubbles stick to the glass.

S: Pear, honey, and a perfumy smell that comes under the pear. It smells very fruity.

T: Sweet. This is probably a little sweeter than I would like but I would attribute that to the fact that there isn't much hop flavor to balance out the sweetness. It's not bad, it's just very fruity.

MF: Creamy, smooth, and leave an oily feel to the mouth. Very light beer.

O: I've had other fruit beers before but I didn't enjoy this one as much as I would've liked. I thought it wasn't very balanced and was overly sweet.

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance - Amber color with very thick head. Head looks to be a off white to beige color.
Smell - Fruity, Sweet, raspberry.
Taste - Mild beer, Little bitter but not in a bad way, citrus taste. Aftertaste is where you taste the prickly pear. Excellent.
Mouthfeel - Not too carbonated but feels real good going down.

Overall - I was really surprised by the flavor and smell of this beer. I was recommend this to anyone wanting to try something different.

Shiner Prickly Pear from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner