Shiner Prickly Pear | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
Read the review
Shiner Prickly PearShiner Prickly Pear

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Doubly good in triple digits, our unique summer seasonal is made with the fruit of the prickly pear, a cactus native to Shiner, Texas. With a tart, citrusy flavor and a crisp finish, it’s the best use of cactus yet.

Added by EgadBananas on 06-29-2012

3.24/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.2/5  rDev -34.3%

I picked this up (in cans) because I love the company's Ruby Redbird on a hot day. This one is disappointing, though. The smell is immediately artificial, as is the flavor which seems to clash against the beer flavor. I will be pawning off the rest of the six pack on unsuspecting friends. Glad I got some Ruby Redbird at the same time.

3.55/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Pours with a beautiful copper hue with a bubbly three fingers of head. It dissipates rather quickly.

S: Prickly pear (though I don't really know basing it off what I got from otra vez). It is a distinct aroma.

T: Prickly Pear, slight tartness. At first the taste just disappeared on the finish. As I drank more I noticed a slight bitterness on the finish.

F: Light bodied, moderate carb. Goes down easy.

O: This makes a great hot humid day summer drinker. Refreshing.

3.31/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.03/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.24/5  rDev -3.3%

2.44/5  rDev -27.2%

3.17/5  rDev -5.4%

4.52/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.77/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.94/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.8/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

4.78/5  rDev +42.7%

Great summer beer. Has a wonderful fruit smell and a sweetish taste. This just became a new favorite.

3.55/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

The first thing that you notice about Shiner's Prickly Pear Summer Seasonal is the smell. I haven't tasted a prickly pear recently so I can't say how accurately it copies it but for me it took me back to the my youth, when I drank all sorts of pseudo-fruit sodas.

It's not terrible, but a bit odd. Luckily, it fades quickly.

The color is a rich and coppery, almost like a penny. The taste is somewhat evocative of its scent but milder.

The carbonation is off the charts, and a bit less would have been welcome.

There's a slight bitterness at the finish, not IPA-like by any means, but a bit of a nip.

Shiners Prickly Pear beer is interesting, though mainly as a curiosity. It's inoffensive, and relatively refreshing, despite seeming over-carbonated.

3.66/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.47/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a nice amber color with one finger of head, recedes quickly.
Smells rather fruity, yet funky, sour even, reminds me of sierra Nevada otra vez, minus the salt.
Taste is lightly bitter, fruitiness is really subdued, quickly tastes of malt and little else.
Mouthfeel is light, but juicy, refreshing.
Overall, a letdown from having such a potent smell and nice color to having such weak taste.

4.46/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.35/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.54/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.57/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This pours a rather large head, with a clear amber color. Light visible carbonation.

This smells of fruity and dank sweetness. Also has a sour undertone. The drink this smell reminds me the most of is a traditional Scandinavian pear cider. This certainly does not smell like a regular beer, but is quite enjoyable nontheless.

I enjoyed the taste of this less. The funky sweetness from the smell is subdued, and there is an added bitterness. While I think the taste is more nuanced than the smell, I felt like it didin't own its weirdness quite as well as the smell.

Mouthfeel is light, fairly juicy, and moderately carbonated.

This is a solid beer. I wish I hadn't gotten a twelve-pack, yet friends that tried it enjoyed it so I don't think I'll have a problem getting rid of it. Certainly not a lame beer!

Shiner Prickly Pear from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner