Shiner FM 966 | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Spring

Added by Lawl3ss on 12-24-2012

3.56/5  rDev +7.2%

3.26/5  rDev -1.8%

Found this oddity in a singles cooler. Lets see if I can marry it to my mouth.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured for appearance

Appearance (3.5) : A hazy mango-banana semi-opaque body with a thick two finger head. Leaves webbing on the glass as it recedes moderately.

Smell (3.5) : Smells of musty orange and grapefruit, some field wheat, a little coriander/cilantro, and I guess what I would generalize as "spice" - perhaps ginger and cinnamon.

Taste (3.25) : Tasty. Some slightly sour caramel/kettle corn follows a buttery body; a delightful checkered finish of slight onion and tomato. Somewhere in there, there's some corn or barley that leaves a small lager aftertaste. After half the bottle however, the flavor gets a little old and borders on drain pour. For this reason I have to lower this category a bit.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Easy-peasey. Real smooth and drinks like a champ. You want more, that's just how it is.

Overall (3.26) : I'd drink this again, although its not amazing enough for me to pick up a sixer or go out and buy more right away. It's a nice take on the farmhouse ale and I recommend you try it to see if it's for you.

3.48/5  rDev +4.8%

3.24/5  rDev -2.4%

hints of citrus flavor

3.75/5  rDev +13%

4.25/5  rDev +28%

2.75/5  rDev -17.2%

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I am hoping to really run through some CANs today as The CANQuest ™ ramps back up to its normal operating speed! Here goes.

From the CAN: “A season delight”; “Made for Spring”; “There’s Nothing Finer than a Springtime Shiner”; “Est. 1909”; “Farmhouse Ale”.

The Crack! was music to my ears and my dance CANsisted of an inverted Glug, resulting in two-plus fingers of rocky, foamy, fizzy , bone-white head with limited retention. I wonder if it is something to do with Saison yeast that causes that type of carbonation. Color was a Solid Gold (SRM = 5) with NE-quality and of course, this was a clarion call for The Unholy Trio of Croesus, Midas and Mammon, all clamoring for a sip. Nose was slightly funky and musty, but in this one, the mixed fruitiness was much more pronounced. I wonder if they filtered theirs, given its clarity and reduced nose. Mouthfeel was thin, but effervescent, kind of like soda pop. The taste was much fruitier than in my previous Saison, which was more to my liking, but for hardcore Saison lovers, this might seem a bit pedestrian. Finish was semi-sweet with the yeast beginning to take ‘hold, but it was not as challenging as some/many (?) Saisons that I have had, even from a CAN.

3.75/5  rDev +13%