Bourbon Barrel Champion Ground | Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Added by elkinbrown on 08-25-2015

#178

Reviews by DeFaz:
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Pitch black, not a huge head but good retention and even better lacing.

Smell: Beautiful. Oak (and I mean a lot of oak), some coffee, some bourbon, and some dark chocolate. Can't ask for more here.

Taste: Wow. This is the best Jackie O's I've had so far--and they have some really, really good dark beers. The coffee is out in front, but the bourbon and chocolate are strong.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol well concealed. Smooth. Way too drinkable. Can't believe this is 12%. Reminds me of KBS, but maybe actually better in this area.

Overall: This is expensive, but I'm not at all disappointed. This is near perfect and my only disappointment is that the store had a one bottle limit. Absolutely incredible.

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

Huge thanks to thebouch01 for this bottle, which I’ve been looking forward to ever since it landed. And now that my wife is off having fun in D.C. - OK, she’s working - I’m busting it open. 375ML bottle split with no one. I hope she doesn’t read this.

The pour is dank black, right up to the edges, with minimal head. The smell is cold-hearted coffee, with a bump of chocolate. The bourbon slips up on me only after several whiffs, but it’s there. What a relief. I find myself with a lot of coffee, bourbon, & chocolate beers of late. I hope it’s a trend that lasts longer than 21 Pilots. Or whatever they are.

Champion Ground is more aggressive than a taunted pack of piranhas. I have to shake my head like Ash to clear it. Holy shit. There‘s more coffee in here than your average Nicaraguan county, & I can feel my bedtime ticking further into the future. I start to twitch & move faster. The bourbon sticks roots in the beans & lays down a field of boozy fire. Rich chocolate comes in & somehow overwhelms the other two mid-palate, & keeps running sweet right through the finish. Other notes: belly-warming alcohol, coffee, touch of spiciness, espresso, vanilla. And listing the ingredients is like stating that you had a hamburger at Mickie D’s vs. another at a Michelin-rated restaurant. They ain’t the same. Rich & creamy, with a drink ability that I could makes me wish I had three, or seventy, more bottles.

There’s only one word to describe this beer: holy mother of all that’s holy. This is hands down the best Jackie O’s beer I’ve ever tasted & could hold it’s (quick vanishing) head high in any company. A stellar beer that's run me right out of superlatives, & one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Sorry, hon.

3.67/5  rDev -18.3%

Body is black varnish, topped with half finger of tan, creamy head that quickly dissipates to leave a wine-like surface.

On the nose I get maple roasted nuts, chocolate syrup, and some vanilla as it warms. It's not terribly complex here, as there is some bourbon that is itching to take hold. I'm having this very fresh on draft and wondering if time will alter this. Older reviews on previous iterations of this beer are citing a bigger coffee presence, but normally coffee fades with time--maybe the barrel treatment produces the opposite effect.

Taste has a strong boozy heat to it, but it's not quite at the level so as to be overwhelming. The bourbon is cut by a sharp coffee element, but that woodiness just keeps coming on in waves, and the coffee is not as assertive as I'd like. However, flavor improves greatly as it warms--do not serve this too cold, which even the brewery is doing right now. Let this sucker warm up before even thinking about pouring it, let alone drinking it. Nuttier, bitter coffee emerges as it reaches temp, with a touch of roastiness and something sharp like sassafras root.

Up front, the feel is extra dry, with lots of barrel oak. Body is thin yet oddly crisp and fizzy, but with the unusually dry intro, this is pretty drinkable. I can see how this is a big hit with a certain crowd, but beware of my review, I'm pretty fickle when it comes to BB beers.

Update: I've let this sit in the bottle a month and a half, and it does seem to be improving as someone else on here recommended.

Smell is better, with an essence of vanilla cream dollop stirred into some nice smooth coffee and a little melted chocolate. A little nutty barrel emerges as it warms, similar to BB Oil.

It's tasting less harsh and boozy, with some nice, softening, slightly sweetened chocolate milk mixed in to the rest of the elements I originally got when "fresh."

Still, it's surprisingly thin, like really thin, verging on watery.

For those that prefer liquor to beer, it makes sense for this one to have such high regard, but I like beer with a substantial mouthfeel, especially the big ones.

Pours black and thick almost like used motor oil with a short light brown head. It's as beautiful as any stout I've seen.

Smells sweet and boozy of course, but it also has plenty of exotic coffee aroma. I don't know much about coffee but for me this is smelling like walking down the coffee aisle at a fancy grocery store. I love that smell, although I'm not much of a coffee fan.

Tastes like it smells pretty much. The bourbon doesn't add a lot initially, I found it more in the lingering after taste, although it certainly feels boozy. It tastes especially creamy, Jackie O's knows how I like my coffee. There is just the right amount of coffee bitterness, too. Some chocolate coming along for the ride, too.

Feels pretty heavy and boozy, which is what I look for in my BA stouts, but it still manages to be very easy to drink. The bourbon is also a little noticeable in the lingering taste and warmth in my mouth and throat. Very relaxing.

Overall, this is the best barrel aged coffee stout and the best Jackie O's offering I've ever had. Easiest five stars I've ever given.

4.49/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12.7 ounce bottle, 2016 vintage 12.0% ABV. Served in a Jackie O's snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black with about an inch and a half tan head that stayed around for a while. There's also a good amount of lacing. I like the aroma a lot, the brew smells like coffee, bourbon, vanilla, oak and chocolate. It tastes pretty good too, there's lots of coffee, bourbon, vanilla, nuts, oak, chocolate, caramel, and a bit of coocnut flavors. Mouthfeel/body is full, it's slick and creamy with a moderate amount of carbonation. I thought this was a pretty good bourbon barrel aged coffee stout. I know I'd like to try this one again in the future. But then it is Jackie O's, so more often than not you know it's going to be really good! $11.99 a bottle.

4.66/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark black with a nice beige head. Smell is amazing, smooth espresso,sweet caramel, oak barrel. Taste follows nose with sweet barrel caricature of vanilla caramel and oak, coffee is soooooooo smooth, opposed to that bitter grounds taste you get form some others. It's clear that using Jamaica blue grounds made a difference between a good coffee stout and a great coffee stout. The barrel is a great compliment and does not take center stage. Texture is awesome, thick without being chewy and silky smooth. Overall this is a phenomenal beer. This is one of the best BBA coffee stouts I've ever had (including. Bcbcs, coffee cake, etc) because all of the flavors are standouts without being overpowering. They made a concious decision to use some of the most expensive beans and made sure not to crush those flavors with a barrel, everything just balances so well. One of the best 375s they've put out.

4.56/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: An opaque black. Minimal head, and most of what there is clings to the sides of the glass.
S: Magnificent. Begins with a soft, rich bourbon character which gives way to coffee near the end.
T: A lot of flavors are present, but not so much that anything is muddled. The bourbon sits nicely atop the stout base, and the usual flavors of oak, vanilla, and toasted coconut are present. The coffee is perfectly integrated with the other flavors. There isn't the excessively roasty flavor that you can get with some less expertly-blended coffee stouts. Sweetness is kept nicely in check and alcohol is not present on the flavor.
F: Rich and silky. There's no doubt this is a big beer, but it moves smoothly through the palate without fatigue setting in.

Overall, this is either my favorite bottled Jackie O's 375 or, if not, is a very close second to BBBM. Seek it out if you can.

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Initially was drawn to this one because of the artwork (huge reggae fan); nevertheless, it exceeded my expectations. Delightful stout with some bourbon undertones that get smoothed out by the Jamaican coffee and sugary chocolates. The best part is the smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Wow, nothing but good vibes coming from this one.

4.21/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The natural affinity that stout has with coffee is highlighted in Jackie O's collaboration with Stauf's Roasters, resulting in an imperial stout with a bold coffee lead. To top it off, a nice long bourbon barrel slumber softens the roasty edges but offers an opulent, savory taste throughout.

Savory and decadent to the nose, its fragrance billows over with nutty, soilish Jamaican coffee, oak, caramel, molasses, vanilla, dark fruit and chocolate. Dark brown and layered with a delicate coffee-like creme, its tawny crimson hues are off-black while its taste is toasty, cocoa, sherry-like and savory.

As the flavors develop across the middle, the beer's body is lighter than expected but its flavors are complex and bold. A delicate weave of date, fig and plum with a cherry-like balance to add richness and a pleasant acidic tang to the savory molasses, maple, chocolate and brown sugar. Earthy coffee rises as the stout continues to dry and its finish is roasty, oaky and spicy with peps of caramel, coconut and vanilla.

Full but relaxed, the bold flavors close with a dry, spicy and bouron-esque taste and texture. Lightly tannic to promote a powdery oak, and peppery, woodsy finish with the warmth of sherry and bourbon aligning on the after-palate. A long finish of coffee and molasses ensures a most dessert-like end to any session.

4.58/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another outstanding bourbon-barrel release from the crew at Jackie O's. And a perfect follow-up to Oro Negro bottles.
Scents of chocolate, espresso, bourbon. Smooth, well balanced flavors. Sticky vanilla mouthfeel, infused with Staufs roasted coffee. I'm a dark roast coffee kind of guy, so would have preferred an even stronger coffee flavor. Very curious to try BCBCS now and compare.

4.46/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - label is on point. As seems to be the norm with Jackie O's stouts, it pours thin-looking and with minimal head. Bubbles like cola. A gentle thin head forms and quickly dissipates, leaving large bubbles behind. Color itself is pretty damn black.

S - bourbon and barley. Faint black coffee overpowered by booze and barrel. Wood chips, vanilla smoke, and lactosey chocolate.

T - robust and chocolatey. Thick, full, milk chocolate and iced coffee. Heavy on the cream. There's an oaky bourbon bite and burnt embers. Light cinnamon and spice. Vanilla bean coffee and water chestnuts. Leaves a surprisingly bitter numbness in the mouth. The flavor is so rich and decadent that the biting hops and what I presume is booze burn come out of nowhere.

F - smooth and rich, although not as thick as 11% would suggest. Almost seems light and dainty, making this worryingly dangerous.

O - one of the more balance and tame JO stouts I've had. Seems to be their highest rated probably because they don't do crazy shit with this one. Authentic barrel flavor and beany coffee.

3.33/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I had this on tap at the brewpub before buying my bottles. A very solid beer but I don't see how this is the #1 rated beer in Ohio. I am currently drinking my 2nd bottle and it is very flat. Both bottles so far have had the faintest of hissing so I'm guessing very under carbed.

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.92/5  rDev -12.7%

4.52/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.52/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.84/5  rDev +7.8%

This is the closest beer to BCBCS I've had. That should be enough of an endorsement but I still need another 41 characters. I poured it from a bottle.

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.69/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.48/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bourbon Barrel Champion Ground from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery