Wood Ya Honey With Nuts

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Wood Ya Honey With NutsWood Ya Honey With Nuts
Notes: Honey Wheat Wine Style Ale aged in bourbon barrels & conditioned on toasted nuts.
Reviews: 10 | Ratings: 59 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12.7 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a Jackie O's snifter
2016

This beer pours a mahogany color with rust colored highlights. It does not achieve much head.

The aroma is caramel, vanilla, and chocolate.

The flavor is caramel with a healthy dose of booze. I get a little vanilla.

Medium bodied with a slick mouthfeel

I really enjoy wheatwines. This might be one of the best that I have tried. It is desserty, but the alcohol cuts the sweetness to let you know that it is a strong beer. It really hits the spot after working 8 hours outside on a cold winter day.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

A- body is a gnarly cloudy brown color. Pours with a minimal bubbly head.

S- Nose is pretty complex and very sweet. Honey, nuts, bourbon, oak, bread. It's all in there.

T- Flavor is also wonderfully complex. Sweet sticky honey, nuts, and booze with a big bready backbone. Finish is sweet and boozy.

M- low to medium carbonation and a syrupy body...a hint of alcohol astringency but very smooth.

D- Jackie Os knocks it out of the park again. Wow. Fantastic beer from a style not used often.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

I have had some extraordinary beers from Jackie O's. This is not one of them. I was hoping that it would be similar to Sweet Repute, which was outstanding. However, this one has neither the body nor the complexity of Founder's wheat wine. It's thin and the bourbon overwhelms the honey, the nuts--everything, really. Considering the high price, I can't recommend it.

Phoodcritic from Michigan, Aug 28, 2017
3.67/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12.7 oz bottle poured into a willybecher glass.

A:Small slightly off white super creamy head. Body is a murky brackish Carmel amber.

S: Lots of honey almonds dates figs light Jam smells.

T: the taste is not as large as the nose. Mostly muted alcohol a little figs and dates.

M: super soft low carbonation

O: it's an over the top beer with very little depth or character. Pretty much a disappointment in the lexicon of Jackie O's beers.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nearly clean, deep dark brown with the faintest khaki ring of head. Partially my fault for the murkiness due to pouring the dregs from the bottom of the bottle.

Smells of bourbon, vanilla, oak, and believe it it not, I clearly get the nuts. The honey not so much. Caramel drizzled nuts...Yes.

Tastes plenty nutty and dominated by sweet syrupy caramel and honey (which I usually find hard to detect). Bourbon and oak again, very much present.

Feel is rich, thick and oily, sweet and boozy, especially as it warmed.

Overall, an outstanding wheat wine, though I can't say I've had too many wheat wines. Would gladly have more if they tasted like this, typically. Cheers, and a big thanks to Corey!

4.2/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a snifter from a 375ml bottle

It is a dirty, mud puddle like brown. Small tan head with little retention.

It smells rich/sweet. Bourbon, caramel, burnt sugars, butterscotch, dark fruits, and trail mix.

A lot of bourbon flavor along with Honeycomb cereal, caramel, brown sugar, figs/raisins, and sugar coated, or honey roasted peanuts, and almonds or cashews. A bit of alcohol in the aftertaste.

Body seems like it may be a bit fuller than the original version, but still a hair on the thinner side for the extra wheat. A little bit of alcohol burn.

I really like the addition of the slightly salty, nutty flavor. It really compliments the base beer and in my opinion, improves on it.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark murky brown with very little head, just a thin ring around the edge.

Smells of bourbon, honey, plum, caramel.

Tastes sweet but not overly sweet with a delightful mix of honey, bourbon, raisins and nutty flavors. The nutspices taste most like walnuts to me, maybe mixed with some almond and cashew.

Drinks very smooth with a moderate body. A little heat from the alcohol.

Another awesome bourbon barrel aged treat from jackie os.

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Jackie O's

Pours a deep brown color with a small foamy off white head that leaves a ring around the edge. Smells of caramel and toffee up front with undertones of bourbon, earthy wood and some toasted nuts. Tons of vanilla and caramel up front, followed by earthy oak and toasted nuts. Sweet malty finish, with a linger of earthy wood and bourbon. Medium body with medium carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a creamy finish. The nut addition is a nice take on this variation

Treyliff from West Virginia, Jan 16, 2017
3.3/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Having this freshly bottled, (as opposed to the un-nutted version I had aged for over a year), the head readily displays a nice finger of tan, dense, lazy fizz settling to a thin collar, on top of a red mahogany body with bronze edges.

I have to say, the aroma notes are really subtle, complex, and difficult to discern, and very much on the hard spirit spectrum more so than the ale spectrum. I get brandy, light oak, cherry bitters, spiced rum, honey drizzled cashew, and leather.

Hooooo weee that is some hot shit! Taste is fucking tequila man and I'm not even playing. A very distinct impression of that magic golden distillation of agave comes out right off the bat and I'm not entirely sure why, or how! I think this element is more prominent when cold. In other words, it's best to serve this at room temperature. In any case, I try to swig this around on the palate for some nuance, and man, does it sting. It's a challenge. I get hints of honeycomb, waxy walnut, brandied raisin, a little toast, but oh my god, that booze is unrelenting. It's impossible to penetrate until it warms. And even still...damn...maybe a little caramel and nougat.

There is no fucking way this is just 11%. I could feel this swirling around in my head and heating up my ears instantaneously. It goes without saying, after all of the above, the feel is very much like liquor as opposed to beer. Smooth and slick, but hot as hell with a barely dry, fuming exhaust finish. I thought having this freshly bottled--and the nuts version no less--would maybe change my experience from the base version. However, I probably did myself a disservice. As long as no unintended flavors emerge, this will probably be much, much better a few years--at least--down the line.

I have to say, I get the appeal of this kind of drink on a cold night, maybe by a fire, or a digital representation of one, but, for me, I'm all about beer first. Once it starts verging this heavily into spirit territory, I start having reservations.

Sabtos from Ohio, Jan 14, 2017
4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

I will get things started with this incredible beer. I have never liked Barrel aged beer. In fact, I ordered this by mistake as a taproom sample. It was incredible. I do not like the smell of bourbon and this was no exception except that it was far less off putting. So much going on in the beer but the highlights are it is so smooth on the palate and this beautiful warming sensation that spreads slowly though the chest is almost alarming. It is a sipper for sure, one that can be enjoyed for hours I would guess. I have a hard time accepting that this is actually a beer. I would call this an old ale rather than anything else. I think I never liked bourbon in my beer because I only had the cheap ones - Kentucky Bourbon Ale stuff - lesson learned.

Wood Ya Honey With Nuts from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery