Ten Pound Lockpick

SCORE
n/a
Ten Pound LockpickTen Pound Lockpick
Notes: Strong Ale aged in Bourbon Barrels for 24 months

For twenty-four long months, this tremendous Strong Ale rested patiently in Bourbon Whiskey casks. Allow to warm slightly in the glass to unearth notes of raisin, caramel, wheat bran, and well-aged spirit.
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 9 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
CaptainHate from Ohio

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12.7 ounce bottle from 2020 poured into a DFH tulip. Very little head over a dark brown body. Smell hit me as soon as I opened the bottle. Lots of dark fruits, molasses, raisins and brown sugar along with booze. Taste mirrors the smell but has a certain richness that grows as it warms up; at first I rated it slightly lower but the warming change adds a certain x factor that warrants an upgrade. Mouthfeel is reasonably full without being chewy.

I've been conditioned to big stouts and barleywines from Jackie O's such that this strong ale somewhat took me aback and I had to recalibrate my expectations accordingly. I'll be anxious to see if they continue to brew this since they seem to do a lot of one offs. Still they don't run short on ideas.

Oct 25, 2020
bluejacket74 from Ohio

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

12.7 ounce bottle, 2020 vintage. Served in a Jackie O's snifter, the beer pours a dark brown color with not quite an inch tan head that didn't stay around for very long. Small amount of lacing. Aroma is nice and mostly sweet, the brew smells like bourbon, vanilla, caramel, brown sugar and oak. Taste is similar to the aroma, with bourbon, vanilla, molasses, caramel, dark bread, brown sugar, raisin and oaky flavors. Mouthfeel/body is full, it's slick and rich with a moderate amount of carbonation. Not quite as boozy as I was expecting considering this is 14% ABV. This brew reminds me of an English-Style Barleywine. I think it's pretty tasty, definitely worth picking up if you're into sweeter tasting and/or barrel aged strong ales!

Jun 13, 2020