Dark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon Barrel | Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Dark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon BarrelDark Apparition - Kopi Luwak Bourbon Barrel

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery
Ohio, United States
jackieos.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by Spider889 on 02-05-2011

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

bottle 44/213. thanks to neorunner for this bottle.

A: pitch black with thin brown head that quickly subsided.

S: earthy coffee and whisky, sweet sweet bourbon whisky. notes of chocolate, roasted barley. a bit of vanilla lingers on your tongue afterwards. (and to quote a friend, it smells like shit)

T: more coffee and then a nice sweet bourbon taste. a bit of oak and licorice.

M: this is warm. both via the bourbon and the alcohol. only a medium body, i was expecting a much fuller beverage from this.

O: a sipper, but I could certainly sip more and more. The blend of coffee and whisky is rather intense - and made for a jittery sort of relaxation, if that makes sense. As far as KL bean beers go, CC's Final Push was tastier. Overall this was quite good, but I was expecting much more.

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter. 2011 vintage. Bottle #67 of 213. I thought I liked the Vanilla Bean version the best until I cracked a bottle of it. Amazing how being tired and already buzzed damages the palate, haha. I'm hoping this one is better.

3.5 A: Pours black. One finger of creamy medium brown head, but it falls fairly quickly (damn coffee!) and leaves nonuniform splotches of lacing.

4.5 S: Big coffee aroma, huge really. The coffee is definitely the centerpiece, but the other aromas do well to contribute to the nose. Bourbon and oak with the ever so slightest touch of booze. Hints of caramel and dark chocolate. Roasty, but not burnt or peated.

4.5 T: Everything comes together in the taste. Coffee is still the dominant taste, but unlike the nose, it isn't far and away the strongest. The leathery bourbon is much more pronounced as is the oak. Vanilla also comes to play. Light chocolate and moderate caramel flavors. Again a clean roastiness. A bit drier than I prefer, but still an excellent amalgamation of flavors.

3.5 M: Like the Vanilla Bean, the mouthfeel is the downfall. I wanted a thick, rich body but all I got was a medium one. Good moderate carbonation and super smooth, but could be creamier. A little higher mash temp and every one of this beer's scores goes up.

4.0 D: Really tasty beer. All this needed was more body and sweetness and it would have been up there with the best of them. Still, definitely worth a drink if you can find one.

Thanks to jh1982 for breaking this out during March Madness.

Pours very dark, brown head, decent lace. Big coffee and bourbon aroma.

Bitterness, licorice, heavy alcohol feel on the palate. Heavy roasted coffee and chocolate malt. Would like to try the non barrel aged version of this, as the alcohol heat, while not bad at 10.5%, I thought took away from the base beer, but can't really know without trying it, but this one just seemed a little too dominated by the barrel. Just didn't get as much of the coffee aspect as I would like.

A good beer, just not quite getting into the 'great' category that I've seen some offers expecting for this.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Acquired this bottle (50/213) in a trade, thanks! Poured into a Jackie O's snifter provided by Mr. Thorpe, thanks counselor.

This beer really would have been great if it weren't for the fact that Jackie O's seems to make a goal to brew the thinest goddamn beers around. Love the aroma and flavor, but seriously thicken this up.

Aroma is filled with coffee, chocolate and a hint of bourbon. I'm not a coffee drinker and I have no real idea as to what "Kopi Luwak" coffee is, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it probably costs something around $400/lb (is coffee sold by the pound, I have no idea) and perhaps comes out of the digestive tract of feral land beast. Taste is nice with coffee and chocolate with a subtle degree of bourbon. Was hoping for more, but certainly well integrated. Some oak in there as well.

As I mentioned this beer is reminds me of the days that I had my girlish figure of about 155lbs on my 6'3" frame...emaciated to say the least. I have ballooned a bit and I wish this motherfuker would as well.

Great beer that really only lacks body.

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle shared by Lunch. Thanks Paul!

Bottle 50 / 213
2011 vintage

The beer is a dark brown color, with 1/4" of beige head. The head recedes to a thin, oily layer and leaves some good lacing on the glass. The aroma brings a grandiose coffee presence, followed by bourbon, light tobacco, and subtle oak. The smell is superior to the taste. The flavor brings a heavy dose of coffee, as expected. Flavors blend well together, though the body is a bit on the thin side. The finish leaves ample coffee and roast notes lingering on the palate, as well as a lasting bitterness. Overall, this brew was pretty easy to drink and rather enjoyable.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Reviewed from draft notes from the release.

A. Pours very black with just a slight bit of tan cream on top. I suspect you'd get a better head if the wait staff weren't required to run around with all of the beers at a frantic pace.

S. Premium coffee with lots of nice roast character. The bourbon certainly takes a back seat here to allow the coffee flavor to really shine.

T. Tons of dark roasted coffee with some chocolate notes and a bit of bourbon character. Some of the vanilla notes come out as well.

M. Creamy carbonation on top of a somewhat thin body (in comparison to the other huge stouts).

D. A beer that really shows the coffee treatment with a nice subtle touch of bourbon character. One of my wife's favorites of the day since she really enjoys coffee + bourbon stouts.

4.14/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to thickerfreakness for the share! 22oz bottle into an unmarked snifter.

Pours out a nutty, cola-colored body with a scant wisp of khaki bubbles scattered up top. Massive notes of roasted chocolate and earthy caramel malt grains. Nutty, and the term "biscotti" got thrown around the tasting group. The coffee aroma is strong and bold with a hint of espresso sweetness.

The flavor is heavy on mocha up front, with a dark cherry/raspberry middle that seems to characterize many of Jackie O's darker beers. It's almost sweet, almost tart, but always good. Mouthfeel is a little thin on the palate with a soft carbonation level. Overall, Kopi Luwak didn't live up to the regular Bourbon Barrel Dark Apparition, but it was close. Fans of coffee beer should seek out this one.

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

705ml shared at the 2011 Hunahpu's release but I don't remember who opened it. Whoever you are, thanks a ton!

Pours a deep dark chocolate brown color with faint hints of mahogany edges when held to a light and a one finger dark mocha head. Good retention, slowly fading into a lasting ring that leaves sporadic spots of lace behind.

Amazing silky chocolate aroma with a deep roasted mocha coffee/espresso bean presence. that isn't burnt or acrid at all. Hints of chocolate tootsie roll(but somehow not artificial), caramel, toffee and hazelnut as well as a faint bourbon barrel presence. Subtle booze with hints of vanilla and oak but this beer mostly smells like the best coffee ever brewed. Amazing nose!

Chewy full body with an excellent balance of roasted espresso, silky milk and bittersweet dark chocolate. Hints of hazelnut, toffee, oatmeal and luscious chocolate malts. incredibly smooth, well balanced with a well masked ABV. No alcohol heat whatsoever making this beer dangerously quaffable. Slightly smokey, dry and roasted but still sweet with a very faint bourbon barrel presence. Again, there is slight boozy bourbon sweetness with sweet vanilla and marshmallow notes. The bourbon is there but the coffee flavor is so ridiculously smooth and prominent that it takes a back seat.

Overall, this beer far exceeded my expectations. I find most of the Jackie O's beers that I've tried so far to be overrated but this beer is excellent and totally legit. Please trade me more.

3.99/5  rDev -4.1%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Yet again, Kyle keeps sharing! Bottle #100/213.

(A)- Pours a thick dark black color. Produced some tan foam and bubbles.

(S)- A really nice roasted fresh coffee grounds in front of a cocoa and molasses front.

(T)- Similar to the smell. A nice roasted coffee with a light spice and molasses richness.

(M)- A nice carbonation level. A bit thin and watery feel-wise, but has good flavor and feel.

(D)- Not bad. A great coffee profile and roasted qualities. Good stuff.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Good thing I hang out with Andrewinski1 otherwise I'd have to manage a way to get all these cool beers on my own. Thanks for cracking this one. Poured into a tulip. The beer pours like a big solidmass of oily black with no head. No head means no lace.

For a coffee stout this has a top notch aroma. Right off it smells like fresh ground coffee. It's like the aroma you get when you're pouring your hot water into a french press. Mostly coffee in the aroma but has a nice chocolatey syrup aroma to the finish. Coffee and chocolate; can't beat that. To top it off a really faint pressence of bourbon lingers through past a big coffee aroma. Starts kind of fruity. Plumbs come to mind. However this really has a big coffee flavor. Fresh ground coffee through and through with a touch of sweetness and a nice bourbon presence here. Finishes kind of warm with a noticable cocoa flavor through this.

The feel is good, the carbonation is a little low on this, but it's a thick, full and chewy stout. Overall this is an absolute delight. Really a great coffee stout even though it seems like this bottle may be a bit off where as it's a bit flat.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Thanks Dave for sending this my way. Poured into a tulip straight down the middle yielding no head. Disappointing appearance. Nice Pitch black appearance with a maple syrup like color on the edges. There are some tiny bubbles that show themselves with a bit of agitation.

The coffee aroma in this one is stellar. The aroma indicates dark chocolate and strong vanilla notes. There is a hint of sweetness in the aroma as well. Love the aroma; reminds me of KBS.

The taste starts out a little too bitter on the front of the tongue but the finish reveals those magical barrel aged goodness I expected. There is a bit of tinnyness in the front that is undesirable. The delicious coffee and chocolate flavors are too powerful let the taste go to ruin however.

The carbonation is a bit too prickly, and the body is medium to heavy as an imperial stout should be.

This beer has a lot of great flavors but there are a couple flaws that take away from it possibly being one of the best of its kind. I hope they make this again because I really liked it, all things considered.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle 7 of 213.

Blackness. Mocha head, nice sporadic lacing.

Aroma of coffee, big bourbon, oak, booze and chocolate.

Mild bourbon and oak, lots of chocolate and coco bitterness. Coffee seems to play second fiddle.

Creamy full bodied and coating.

Drink is good for what it is...biiiggg.

Naturally very good, but I think the barrel steals the show. I think a non-barrel version would really let the Kopi shine.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Pete shared this last night. Thanks, friend!

Pouring jet black with a dense, dark brown head with good retention and lacing. The nose is all coffee, just tons of it. Very fresh, the coffee is moderately bitter and earthy, pushing the barrel character to the back. There's bourbon, vanilla and cream, along with a thick and heavy stout base with roast, a little licorice . The palate is great as well, though the coffee bitterness is a little stronger than I'd like. Flavors are great, the bourbon and coffee blend is nice and the dark chocolate and heavily roasted malts are present, and the finish is surprisingly acidic and enjoyable. Very enjoyable stuff, thanks again, Pete!

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into my Great Lakes Christmas Ale snifter. I picked up this bottle at the February 5th release, and decided to crack it open tonight to celebrate my 100th review! Bottle 106/213, bottled in 2011 of course.

Appearance - Right away, I notice that no head is in sight on this beer. It ended up with about an eighth of an inch of rich chocolaty foam that dissipated in a matter of seconds. The lacing on the glass is absolutely phenomenal as it elegantly clings to the glass. The liquid itself is a completely opaque black. Light is having a hard time traveling through this monster of darkness.

Smell - Perhaps the most robust beer I have ever smelled. Ethanol is slightly present in the background; but definitely isn't the star of the show. The real spotlight is on the coffee; as it should be with it being this beers main focal point. The coffee smells fresh, robust, rich and complex. The coffee note is absolutely unassailable. Chocolate then finds it way into the equation quite elegantly. Hints of dark fruits, perhaps plum, make themselves known as well. Dark malts prevail slightly over the chocolate.

Taste - The taste is unlike anything I've ever had before; partly thanks to the Kopi Luwak coffee and otherwise due to the fact that Jackie O's brews have a signature dark fruit taste to most their beers that is just absolutely delicious. I am initially greeted by a hint of dark plum that glides across my tongue. My swallowing of the beer allows it to explode elegantly into a slight ethanol taste accompanied by chocolate bliss. I then feel as if my taste buds are attacked by a happy swarm of dancing coffee bees. If that makes any sense. And they just sting me with all the right flavors of coffee. The coffee translates from nose to tongue quite well; bringing all of it's robust and bold properties with it. The bourbon notes keep themselves hidden subtly in the background and attribute to the taste delicately.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - This brew is incredibly drinkable and the most enjoyable sipping beer I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. I had many variations of Dark Apparition at the event, but ultimately passed over this one as I knew I had a bottle of it coming. I regret not trying this on-tap, but it tastes just as fresh as everything I did have on-tap at the brewery. The taste is smooth, yet bold and rich at the right times. The bourbon remains well hidden for the most part. But when it does present itself, it does so with purpose and in dignified formality.

I want to send out a huge thanks to Brad and everyone else who worked so hard at the Jackie O's brewery to make this beer, and all other variations of Kopi Luwak possible. I truly enjoyed every single beer I had at the February 5th event and I have cleared my calendar for the sours release on April 2nd. The event really got me into reviewing craft beer. I've always had an appreciation and taste for craft beer; but this event really got me interested in beer advocacy. I appreciate all of the hard work and dedication that goes into your profession.

Any one who hasn't had the chance to try a Jackie O's beer; I advise you to make it one of your top priorities. You can tell that a lot of thought and care go into every batch and beer that these guys make. I still have a Quincedence, Oil of Aphrodite, Cellar Cuvee 4, Captain Barley Heart and Joe the Plum taunting me on my shelf. I plan on saving each and every one of these for a special occasion. I enjoyed Wood Ya Honey with friends and family last week, and finally persuaded myself to open up Kopi Luwak for this special 100th beer review occasion. One final thanks to the guys and gals at Jackie O's for some of the best beer I've ever experienced.

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Received this as an EXTRA from the ever generous normyk. Thanks a ton for this huge want, Will. Bottle number 10 of 213. Split with some La Crosse BAs yesterday. Poured into small taster:

A - Black with kahki head. Light foam that turns into a nice cap. Nice creamy lacing.

S - Wow! Awesome roasted coffee! (and I don't even like coffee) Chocolate and vanilla. Oak and a bit of caramel. Really just an outstanding smell!

T - Nice clear flavor of coffee. The barrel heat is present in the middle and finish. Its a little sweet and a little sour at the end. A little smoky. Other flavors of oak and chocolate and a bit of vanilla.

M - Its nice and creamy in the beginning and then a burning boozy feeling in the end. Nice carbonation.

D - This was a real treat! To know that you are drinking a great barrel aged stout with the world most expensive coffee mixed in is just awesome. The smell on this thing was just killer...I wanted to apply some under my nose. Will, hats off to you for sending me this brew and job well done by Jackie O's for brewing this beer. This was my first beer from Jackie O's and needless to say I'm impressed!

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had on tap at the February 5th release. Finally getting around to reviewing it from notes.

A: Arrived pitch black with a thin layer of tan creaminess that tried to stick around the entire glass. Nothing exceptional from the appearance, however, wonderfully typical of the style.

S: Quite a bit of delicious coffee and roast malt is evident immediately. The initial smell in itself is fantastic. Behind the coffee is dark chocolate and a bit of bourbon. I typically like a bit more bourbon in the nose, but the muted barrel characteristics in this one are really nice, letting the Kopi Luwak take center stage, yet providing just enough support to make this complex but very well balanced.

T: Just as you would expect from the aroma, the absolutely delicious dark coffee and roastiness are prominent. Dark chocolate, dark fruit, and bourbon, again, provide support just behind the dominant flavors rounding the flavor out very nicely. There is just a bit of heat on the back end, but overall, this is very well balanced. I think letting this age a bit would put this one over the top.

M: The body is just a bit thinner than I was expecting, and was really the only disappointing aspect of this beer. By disappointing I mean not exactly ideal. It's still smooth and creamy with fairly low carbonation, which isn't really a negative, but I would have liked it to be a bit thicker. The finish is absolutely delicious ... coffee and chocolate linger forever.

D: Just a bit of booze makes this a sipper, but it's pretty darn well balanced, so I could certainly have more than on glass of this. There is a ton of coffee, so if that's not your thing, this one isn't for you. I, however, love it and can't wait to crack open a bottle or two of this in a year or so!

4.37/5  rDev +5%

From 02/20/11 notes. Shared by neorunner; thanks a lot Nate! Bottle 54/213.

a - Pours a jet black color with one inch of tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for 1-2 minutes..

s - Smells of strong coffee, vanilla, bourbon, roasted malts, dark chocolate, and oak.

t - Tastes of coffee, roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, oak, bourbon, and light vanilla from the barrels.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth and very good.

d - I really liked this stout. It reminded me a bit of Beer Geek Weasel thanks to the strong coffee and roastiness, but this also has nice bourbon and vanilla. Would love to try this again sometime..

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to chswimmer for this tick.

Pours black in color with a nice well-formed tan head.

Huge great coffee aroma, earthy without too much weasel crap, with dark chocolate and roast along with mild bourbon.

Excellent flavor, big on coffee but I love it. Just a little bit of bourbon -bal aging evident. Great chocolatey notes behind that, along with roasted malts and maybe even slight spice.

Fairly full-bodied and smooth with slight charry dryness and a long finish, with medium-low carbonation.

A damn good coffee stout, although I'm a sucker for this style.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

First visit to Jackie O's for a release. What a great place. If you haven't been to this rustic little gem you need to go. Reviewed from my notes had in a 4oz pour.

A- Pours a pitch black with a nice tan head. Dissipates out to leave a bubbling head of goodness. Decent amount of lacing along the glass.

S- Definitely is a nice roasted coffee. I would say there are some strong notes of coffee. The coffee smell lingers. I hope it doesn't fade in the bottle.

T- Coffee up front with a smooth taste. I anticipated more bourbon, but it is hidden very well. You know it's there, but it doesn't overpower what this beer is meant to do. Very well balanced.

M- If there were ever a critique it would be that the beer is a tad thin. Not overly thin, but noticeable.

D- I would say this was one of many highlights. I was fortunate to land a few bottles so I'm anxious to see what this beer does sitting for a year. If you have a chance try this beer, or anything from Jackie O's. You won't be disappointed!!!

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Had on tap at the pub during the release.

A-pours a deep black liquid with a little to no head, of what is there looks to be dark tan in color.

S-the nose is a bit harsh with strong overtones of barrel ad bourbon. there are hints of malt sweetness and a touch of coffee but all are muttled and muffled by the bourbon and wet wood.

T-the coffee comes through much more in the flavor and the wood and bourbon are slightly less pronounced. the flavor isn't bad but there is a ton of heat in the back making it a bit harsh and hard to want more.

M-more full bodied than the vanilla rum and somewhat thick. stronger carbonation with a slightly messy and grainy finish.

D-lots of coffee forward flavors but a rather hot and very singular. the kopi luwak is a great tasting coffee favor in this beer but other than heat and coffee there isn't much else happening and it has some serious lack of focus in the body.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to Pete for sharing this. Served in a snifter.

Pours near black with a thin mocha head. Fairly good retention. The nose brings loads and loads of Kopi coffee. This is very reminiscent of the nose on the straight DA Kopi, though I think the bourbon really helps to integrate things in this version. There's a bit of bourbon and roast there as well. The taste is really nice and the coffee is dead on. Nice full and chewy mouthfeel with a bit of excess booze. A bit over-the-top on the coffee, so I wouldn't be able to drink too much of this, but I did really enjoy the pour I had.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Growler provided by Pete, thanks Pete. Served in a snifter. Beer is black to dark brown at the corners, hazy with a this almost nothing head, no lacing, some legs on the glass with the swirl and very low carbonation.

This beer is also a little hot but less so than the other. There is a definite coffee aroma to this beer as well. Maybe the coffee is cutting the alcohol smell a little.

Beer is medium to light in body on the forward palate and a little dry at the back. There is more coffee / roast in the back half of this beer than the first but it is also quite good. The finish is slightly more acidic than the vanilla one but it is quite enjoyable. There is almost two phases to this beer the roastiness at the back and the sweetness of the front. The two work well together as a juxtoposition.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

First trip to Jackie O's for their big stout day. Bought on tap that night.

Beer pours pitch black, nice tan tan head on top. Good amount of lacing left behind down the glass. Narrows as it slides down the glass, along with the head.

Aroma is very pleasant. Doesn't overcome you with one smell over another. Initial smell is a nice roasted coffee aroma. Along the way there are some hints of chocolate mixed in.

Great taste! Very smooth and easy to drink a glass or two of this. Like the nose, there is a very nice coffee flavor up front. Again it doesn't overpower all the lighter flavors along the way. Roasted malts and chocolate give great character. Some hints of bourbon give it a nice finish. The bourbon wasn't as evident as I'd think it would. Maybe after sitting for a while the bourbon will come out a little more. However, everything goes together great and makes you want another glass!

A little thinner than a full body. Little carbonation in the mouth. Gets a little dry at the end.

This was the first beer I had from Jackie O's in the morning. After a 4 oz. pour I couldn't wait to get some in a bigger glass. Later in the night got a couple snifters of this. If this was all they had, I could have sipped it all night long. Very much enjoyed this beer. Can't wait to open my bottle and see how the flavors change.

3.59/5  rDev -13.7%

On tap at the release at Jackie O's.

A- Our first paddle was nearly all stouts. It included this, VBDA, Sweet Choc Love and other Jackie O's dark beers. They all looked nearly identical. Chris mentioned that if you were to review from this paddle, you would be wrong to give any one of them higher than a 3 since they are all so similar looking. Fortunately we did get this one on other paddles with much different line ups, as well as by its self. So I can say that I think just above average is pretty justified for this one. It never was brought to the table with much of a head, sometimes appearing fairly flaccid. Its thick, dark body is its saving grace.

S- This beer has the most potent aroma of the lot. Those Kopi beans pack a huge punch. Acidic, strong black coffee displaces all the air in the room. Warming helps bring out the chocolate that holds up the rich coffee. Its also very alcoholic, seemingly more so than the other DA treatments, including VBDA. Smooth bourbon comprises most, but not all of this alcoholic smell. Some of it is just pure, unabashed booze.

T- From what I understand this is the Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Apparition from an earlier release, just with Kopi Luwak coffee added. But I am left wondering where the smooth, sweet brown sugar went. Perhaps it isnt included in this batch, or, more likely, is buried by those gargantuan coffee notes.

The taste of this every bit as assertive as the aroma. Alcohol is big, and I wonder why. I dont recall the noncoffee version being rough like this. The BBDA is my favorite by Jackie O's. As strong as it is, the booze is second to those beans. When added to Dark Apparition they are very acidic. The strong bourbon puts hair on your chest as the potent black coffee curls said hairs. There is a very noticeable tartness that seems to be accentuated by the acidity in the coffee. I really think this beer could do with out the tart fruitiness, in fact most of these Jackie O's beers can do without it.

M- This is the hottest beer of the night, some how even hotter than Iced Apparition (which of course is only 12% ABV, right?). Its very thick and smooth but that smoothness is lost to a very dry finish. Carbonation is appropriately subtle.

D- I liked this beer, but I really enjoyed the regular BBDA better, and I think Quincedence was the best from the release.

3.87/5  rDev -7%

On tap at the Jacie O's release.

Very dark. They didn't serve in full glasses (only 4oz) so head/lace was negligable. Seemed thinner than regular Dark Apparition.

Smell was full of coffee. The Kopi Luwak coffee does have a distinct aroma (really reminds me of Brunch Weasel). Lots of smooth coffee, but slightly sour and buttery.

The flavor wasn't as delicate, closer to coffee grounds. It was sweet and smooth going down. The bourbon is very light (second use barrels?). Some roastiness and dark chocolate round it out. If I swish it around in my mouth deeper oak and bourbon characters present themselves. Typical Jackie O's sourness is creeping in on this one - why?

Medium bodied, just shy of chewy (which would really delight me). Well carbed just enough to showcase the coffee and stout. Finishes dry and slightly boozy going down.

Overall a solid brew, but there are better coffee beers out there. I would have enjoyed a stronger bourbon presence.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last