Baklava Braggot | Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Style: Braggot

Added by brew3crew on 10-08-2011

3.7

2.04/5  rDev -44.9%

Supplied by Jeff, thanks! 3 oz. poured into a FFF Teku on June 8th, 2012.

A - Extraordinarily light-looking, reddish-amber coloring. Looks like a sour. No head but light white edgy film. Very few alcohol legs.

S - Belgian yeast, honey, sugar, lemon and other light fruit acidity.

T - My initial thought - "What the fuck?" No Joke. Very disjointed, sour, astringent, bizarre candied malts, honey coated almonds, and clove.

M - Light body, average carbonation, semi-dry aftertaste.

D - This was my first Braggot, so I have no clue if this is good representation of the style. Still though, this is truly and utterly bizarre. A bit drain pour worthy depending on your expectations.

2.31/5  rDev -37.6%

A- Pours a bright orange color with a fairly thin white head. Head has ok retention and leaves pretty much no lacing at all. A bit of floaters in this one too.

S- Smell getting quite a bit of a mess. Nothing really jumping out at me as well. Getting a lot of sweetness must be from the honey. Not really picking up any of the cinnamon or walnuts.

T- A bit of tartness from the lemons. A mixture of spicesness but nothing really noticeable. A touch of clove and a strange sweetness.

M- Lighter side of medium and a fair amount of carbonation.

O- I'm not really caring for this one at all. Just not my type of thing. We couldn't finish the bottle.

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a bright gold with minimal head and some lacing. Smell is features honey, molasses, mellow waves of vanilla and some bread. The taste is very sweet with plenty of honey and a moderate amount of tartness. The finish has some extra tartness and sugary sweetness. Mouthfeel is heavy with mild carbonation. Overall, so sweet and hardly enjoyable.

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottle served in a taster glass. Pours honey-colored. Nose has some honey along with light lemon-citrus notes and quite a bit of sweetness. Mild cinnamon spice in the background. Flavor has more sweetness plus a bit of fruit and honey. Slight earthy-herbal note. Bit of spice. Medium body. One of the more enjoyable braggots that I’ve had.

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

Slightly brown tinted darker shade of orange. No head, no lacing. Aroma is spicy: Cinnamon and nutmeg with a lots a honey. Flavor is worse: honey, spice, greenish herbal off-quality with a slight sourness. Light bodied. Mild bitterness. Lighter bodied. No bitterness. Not very good.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

I havnt typically done this with my blind reviews, but wanted to tick off a braggot!

22 oz bottle courtesy of nlmartin in the Blind BIF 7. pours a hazed reddish-copper color with a small film of tannish head. Spotty lacing and a fair collar.
A-3.5

Nose is interesting....somewhere between a pumpkin beer and a biere de garde perhaps? Apple pie, toffee malts and even a dash or two of cinnamon.
S-3.5

Whaaa? Is this a sour? It is waaay fruity and has some definite tartness, but I am having trouble deciphering if this is meant to be a sour or not! This is the most confusing beer i have ever had...I cant even nail down a style, haha. Apple skins, caramel, salt and SweeTarts are all in play here and Im pretty sure it is not just dumb luck that has led me to happen to open this one last. Damn you Nathan. Mouthfeel is a little undercarbed overall, but I cannot tell if it is fitting or not.
T-3.0
M-3.0

Overall, I am not really digging on this one too much, it is just flat out wierd!! Like maybe it is a cider or something...or some random sort of biere de mars? If it is a cider, I like them well enough, but like beer better! However, I wont have much trouble finishing the bottle by myself, it is intruiging enough I suppose.
O-3.25

Reveal:
JackieO's Baklava Braggot (2012 bottle # 77/192) - brewed with honey, walnuts, cinnamon and lemon zest! WTF, Ive never even had a braggot before, so I have no baseline...but this beer(sortof?) is CRAY-CRAY!

3.27/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into a snifter. 2012 vintage, bottle #88 of 192.

3.0 A: Translucent orange amber color. A little over one finger of frothy off-white head. Retention is a bit lacking, but a small ring of lacing is left.

3.5 S: Doesn't smell quite like baklava, but all the component are apparent. Loads of honey followed by cinnamon and walnuts followed by lemon zest and clove. Also a delicate pepperiness. Clean, relatively neutral maltiness.

3.0 T: The taste is not as well integrated as the nose. Honey is the strongest component, but it isn't "braggot strength." Cinnamon and walnuts take a bit of a back seat. The lemon zest and clove do well though. The culmination is a bit tangy, which I don't remember when I had it on-tap. It's not bad, but it's nothing special.

3.5 M: Lighter medium body. Could use a touch more carbonation. Light creaminess.

3.5 D: Decent, but I enjoy this a lot more fresh. It seems that I enjoy most JO's beers better on-tap.

3.27/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From a 4 year old bomber. About a 3-4 oz pour.

I really got a vomit like smell from this one, which obviously can't be intended, but could just be me. I get stinky feet/strong BO from IPAs sometimes that other people don't. Some sourness in the aroma too. It did taste pretty good though. Light malts. Some sweet honey. Kind of reminds me of Honeycomb cereal. A little bit of green apple flavor and again the sourness. Definitely some sort of fruit. Has some cider or wine like qualities. A baking spice hidden in there I think.

Only my second in this style that I am not real familiar with, but with the sourness and off aroma, there is a good possibility of oxidation/infection with this one. My brother and at least one other person had the same impression. Tasted much better than it smelled. Not crazy about it, but still enjoyable enough overall.

Edit: I have discussed this beer with the brewer and it is clearly infected. So don't lit much stock in this review other than I would really like to try this one fresh because it wasn't that bad even at it's worst.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

pour is murky dark amber with off white head. The nose is sweet an much of honey. The cinnamon spice comes through a fair bit and the walnut. Taste is simple, honey, some in fermented sugar, decent spice to it. Full body, syrupy, strong carb with a sugary finish.

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to dschuster03 for sharing this growler.

A - Golden colored beer with a bit of a white head that didn't stay for long and left nothing on the glass.

S - Smells of honey, with some spices. I was hoping for a more authentic baklava experience with some flakey pastry in there, but alas, no go.

T - Honey, spices, some nuttiness that maybe is representative of pastry some how. If nothing else, it gives it some more depth.

M - Medium bodied, lower carbonation.

O - Fine for what it is. Think this could potentially be fine-tuned to be more representative of actual baklava. Not bad.

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a dark orange color, with a thin head.

It smells slightly of honey and maybe a little grapefruit, which is ok. It has some nice body and a soft feel in your mouth, followed by some alcohol warmness at the end. Taste-wise, it has some nice caramel sweetness and the honey is obviously contributing a lot of flavor as well. Maybe some faint nuts too? The more I drank, however, the more the sweetness became overpowering.

I'm not exactly a braggot expert though so what the hell do I know... It's definitely drinkable, and I like baklava, but I probably wouldn't order it again. There's just some quality to it that's off-putting to me. I can appreciate the brewer for trying something new, though.

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Thanks, Dave (dschuster03)! Poured into Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Pours an amber/golden color, white head, thin collar.

S - I'm not exactly sure what Bakalava smells like, so I'm just going to go with what I have. Sugary sweetness, spices, toasted malts, slight booze tinge.

T - Burnt sugars, honey, spices, vanilla. Similar to the nose, but perhaps a bit less sweet. It's not overly sweet, just about right.

M - Light to medium body, light carbonation, sweet syrupy finish.

O - I'm not a huge fan of this beer...not sure if I'm a fan of the style or what so I can't say it's a bad example of a Braggot. That said, I would probably skip if offered up and drink something else Brad has on tap.

Baklava Braggot from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery