Baklava Braggot | Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

jackieos.com

Style: Braggot

Added by brew3crew on 10-08-2011

3.27/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From a 4 year old bomber. About a 3-4 oz pour.

I really got a vomit like smell from this one, which obviously can't be intended, but could just be me. I get stinky feet/strong BO from IPAs sometimes that other people don't. Some sourness in the aroma too. It did taste pretty good though. Light malts. Some sweet honey. Kind of reminds me of Honeycomb cereal. A little bit of green apple flavor and again the sourness. Definitely some sort of fruit. Has some cider or wine like qualities. A baking spice hidden in there I think.

Only my second in this style that I am not real familiar with, but with the sourness and off aroma, there is a good possibility of oxidation/infection with this one. My brother and at least one other person had the same impression. Tasted much better than it smelled. Not crazy about it, but still enjoyable enough overall.

Edit: I have discussed this beer with the brewer and it is clearly infected. So don't lit much stock in this review other than I would really like to try this one fresh because it wasn't that bad even at it's worst.

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Sweetwater mini-snifter.

I've been meaning to try some baklava, but have never been in the right place to do so... Anyway, this stuff pours a hazy amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises biscuit, light cinnamon, honey, and light yellow cake. The taste brings in more of the same, along with candied orange peel, some mild dark fruits, and a lingering sense of vague tartness somewhere in the ether. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, a pretty solid flavored braggot. 'Nuff said, really.

3.18/5  rDev -16.3%

Slightly brown tinted darker shade of orange. No head, no lacing. Aroma is spicy: Cinnamon and nutmeg with a lots a honey. Flavor is worse: honey, spice, greenish herbal off-quality with a slight sourness. Light bodied. Mild bitterness. Lighter bodied. No bitterness. Not very good.

2.95/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a bright gold with minimal head and some lacing. Smell is features honey, molasses, mellow waves of vanilla and some bread. The taste is very sweet with plenty of honey and a moderate amount of tartness. The finish has some extra tartness and sugary sweetness. Mouthfeel is heavy with mild carbonation. Overall, so sweet and hardly enjoyable.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%

Bottle served in a taster glass. Pours honey-colored. Nose has some honey along with light lemon-citrus notes and quite a bit of sweetness. Mild cinnamon spice in the background. Flavor has more sweetness plus a bit of fruit and honey. Slight earthy-herbal note. Bit of spice. Medium body. One of the more enjoyable braggots that I’ve had.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

I havnt typically done this with my blind reviews, but wanted to tick off a braggot!

22 oz bottle courtesy of nlmartin in the Blind BIF 7. pours a hazed reddish-copper color with a small film of tannish head. Spotty lacing and a fair collar.
A-3.5

Nose is interesting....somewhere between a pumpkin beer and a biere de garde perhaps? Apple pie, toffee malts and even a dash or two of cinnamon.
S-3.5

Whaaa? Is this a sour? It is waaay fruity and has some definite tartness, but I am having trouble deciphering if this is meant to be a sour or not! This is the most confusing beer i have ever had...I cant even nail down a style, haha. Apple skins, caramel, salt and SweeTarts are all in play here and Im pretty sure it is not just dumb luck that has led me to happen to open this one last. Damn you Nathan. Mouthfeel is a little undercarbed overall, but I cannot tell if it is fitting or not.
T-3.0
M-3.0

Overall, I am not really digging on this one too much, it is just flat out wierd!! Like maybe it is a cider or something...or some random sort of biere de mars? If it is a cider, I like them well enough, but like beer better! However, I wont have much trouble finishing the bottle by myself, it is intruiging enough I suppose.
O-3.25

Reveal:
JackieO's Baklava Braggot (2012 bottle # 77/192) - brewed with honey, walnuts, cinnamon and lemon zest! WTF, Ive never even had a braggot before, so I have no baseline...but this beer(sortof?) is CRAY-CRAY!

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours into a snifter to a deep red almost light brown with a small off white head that fades to a small collar
S: smells of honey, cinnamon, and a little nutty with some lemon
T: tastes of cinnamon,very lemony with an almost tart citrus quality, a bit of honey but the lemon seems to dominate, slightly nutty as well. swallow is more lemon and a bit of a nutty finish
M: medium mouthfeel with soft carbonation slightly dry on the finish from the citrus
O: A very interesting beer, very lemony and almost one sided but not quit there. seems like it missed the mark but the other flavors might have faded. Pretty tasty for what it is but it takes a lot to dig past the lemon.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

1 pint 6 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It is a rosy orange color. I got about an inch of off white head. Once the head dissipates it looks like wine.

S - I smell some honey, cinnamon, and clove.

T - It reminds me of wine. It has some fruity and sour characteristics.

M - Moderate to thin. It has little carbonation making it go down smooth.

O - It is different. I believe this is only the second beer of this style that I have tried. It's a great change of pace.

Baklava Braggot from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery