Cellar Cuvee 5 | Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

Added by brew3crew on 10-08-2011

1.75/5  rDev -50.8%

1.85/5  rDev -48%

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: A pretty beer, pours pitch black with a finger of light brown head with good retention.

S: Not good. Tart funk with buttery notes, some sweet toffee and brandy and light roast. This smells like a Brett and diacetyl infection.

T: Worse than the aroma. Very unpleasant tart apples overwhelm the flavor, though I can discern a nice dark chocolate and toffee beer in the background. I also get some buttery notes in the background.

M: A bit thin but good creamy carbonation.

O: Disappointing. I love Brad's beers, but this one was not good at all. I can't imagine it's just this bottle, either. Drainpour.

2.14/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

22oz bottle into snifter. Bottled in 2011, batch 335/336. Thanks to HosP for sending me this one years ago.

A: Pours near black with a finger of dense light brown head that slowly faded into a thick collar.
S: Scents of maple and honey are sweet but not cloying and easily stand out above scents of rich caramel, chocolate syrup, sherry, and musty oak.
T: The sherry flavor from the nose dominates the taste, and is in fact a tart sour cherry infection. Tart cherries hit up front followed by musty earth, sweet molasses and caramel, and a kiss of chocolate. The finish is lightly sour, and a sweet honey/molasses/caramel sweetness lingers.
M: The carbonation screams infection as well. It’s prickly and tingly and really froths up on my palate. Medium body, slick and frothy mouthfeel.
O: Had I drank this fresh the infection might have been unnoticeable, but alas I forgot about it in my cellar for too long. The drain got 95% of this bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This must be infected?

Description on the bottle is a blend of two beers, an amber ale aged in brandy barrels and an oatmeal stout in bourbon barrels. Sounds like something out of the Firestone Walker book...some hops, mellowed by aging, combined with a nice BBA stout! Awesome.

Not so much with this one.

Appearance is like a stout, not bad.

Smell is where it gets no so great. Smells sour. ZERO barrel. Some slight roastiness, but some definite funk.

Taste is slightly better than the smell. It's like a mediocre farmhouse style stout. I'd never guess this was two barrel aged beers, but it's not altogether unpleasent.

Moutfeel is light and overly carbonated for the style.

This is not something I'd ever spend money on. By description on the bottle, I expect a rich, succulent beer. This didn't deliver, although it's certainly drinkable.

In fairness, this bottle may be infected. But, considering it's not awful, I'm not sure...who knows.

Cheers!

2.72/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Bottle # 247 of 334

A: Pours a deep brown color. A thin creamy khaki colored head forms slowly, but dissipates quickly, aside from a thin edge around the glass.

S: Big notes of vanilla and maple up front. Starts very inviting, but has a strange, almost tart, apple-like hint at the back end.

T: Wow. Tartness explodes on the pallet immediately. Tastes like the most tart green apple you can find. Picks up a nice barrel characteristic when it warms, and you get past the sharpness. Caramel and vanilla notes calm the tartness. Slight roast, but a metallic tang in the aftertaste.

M: Creamy and full bodied, with very light carbonation. Feels overly acidic and harsh on the pallet. No alcohol present, but that's the least of the worries here.

O: I gotta imagine there's an infection issue here. What's inviting in the nose is completely overshadowed by the acidic tart tang in the taste and feel. i haven't been a huge fan of the other Jackie O's beers I've tried, and this one continues the disappointing trend for me.

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours dark brown in color with small tan head. Booze is definitely a prominent aroma. A strong note of stale hops followed by cocoa, oak, and a mild fruitiness (mostly prunes). The flavor is a touch metallic followed by some mild bourbon, roast, and cocoa. A touch acidic, for some reason, with a little bit of dark fruit. Not a fan of this one at all.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.3/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't know how excited I should be to try this. This is made of a 50/50 mix of Brandy Barrel Superfly and Bourbon Barrel Middle of Nowhere Stout. I had the BBMoNS yesterday and though it was good enough, so that I'm not worried about. Rather, the BBS has been polarizing. On-tap when it was released, I thought it was wonderful. From a bottle a month ago, I thought it sucked. Thus I'm not sure how mixing these beers will result. I guess there's only one way to find out.

Poured into a snifter. Bottle #20 of 336.

3.5 A: This looks more like the stout for obvious reasons. Dark brown, nearly black color. Two fingers of creamy tan head. Retention is about average and a short ring of lacing is left.

3.5 S: Interesting. The stout seems to be driving the nose, with the amber adding subtle complexity. All of the components of the BBMoNS are apparent - the maple syrup, the honey, the roastiness, and even the oats. The bourbon is a bit diluted from the original, which is to be expected, but still adds leather, earthy woodiness, vanilla, and some melon fruitiness. The amber itself is tough to find, though it seems to have contributed the the caramel that is also found in the stout. Rather, the biggest player from the BBS is the brandy. It gives a well integrated vinous character along with grape fruitiness. Booze is apparent, but not distracting

3.0 T: I'm not really sure what to think of the taste. One sip I get bourbon and stout, the next I get brandy and stout, and after that I get bourbon and brandy. I just can't get on board with this. It seems strange and muddled, but isn't really bad overall. What I pick up most is roastiness, maple syrup, leathery bourbon, brandy, vanilla, and some astringency from the barrels.

3.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Reasonably creamy and smooth.

3.5 D: I honestly don't know what to think of this. I either love it or hate it, but I decided to split the difference in my scores. Either way, it was an interesting experiment that I'm glad I got to try. I'm not a huge fan about the Cellar Cuvee series as a whole actually...until Brad decides to mix a Rum Barrel Oil with a Bourbon Barrel Kopi Dark App.

I do like how this has come together, but I'm still not crazy about it.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a tulip, thanks Dan for sharing!

Dark brownish black body, frothy light tan foam. Lasting skim of foam across the top, some spotty lace but not much.

Tobacco and a lightly boozy aroma, appropriate for a barrel aged strong ale. Seems a little subdued though, and lacking some essential complexity.

A biting, alcoholic bourbon finish cuts into the malty base flavors a bit. Some tobacco and roast malt that is overshadowed by the bourbon elements. In the end it seems a bit heavy handed, more whiskey shows through than necessary, raw and unrefined. Light to medium feel, medium level of carbonation. Could use some blending to mellow it out. Thankfully not a diacetyl bomb like the last Cellar Cuvee I tried.

'11 batch, bottle 15/336

A: Pours a dark reddish-brown with a large light brown head adorning it. Fades slowly, leaving a dense lacework behind.

S: Sweet brandy with some cocoa and oatmeal. Loads of vanilla. Maple syrup? Very unique and varied aroma. Hints of toffee from the bourbon comes out as it warms.

T: Nice brandy up front with sweet caramel malt. Turns into an overpowering funky wine-like flavor with lots of tobacco. As it fades I get some cocoa, milk chocolate and oatmeal.

M: Medium bodied, smooth.

O: Interesting, it tastes good up front and in the finish but the middle appears to be some sort of infected mess. Too bad, judging from what I CAN taste, this was a good brew. Another bad bottle from Jackie-O's. Unfortunate quality control.

3.39/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

650 mL bottle poured into a taster glass. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Dark and nearly black. Not much head. Some bubbles, but that's it.

Smell - Oak and vanilla. Nondescript combination of bourbon and brandy. I don't get a ton of the base. Maybe some light roast and chocolate.

Taste - Less barrel. Tangy vinous character that gets a touch sour. Chocolate and molasses. Vinous in the finish and slightly boozy.

Mouthfeel - Vinous and quite flat. Not great. Boozy, but not a whole lot of it.

Overall - Tangy. Intentional? Not a bad tang, but it kills some flavors that I would like to taste more.

Cellar Cuvee 5 from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery