Cellar Cuvee 5 | Jackie O's Pub & Brewery

jackieos.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by brew3crew on 10-08-2011

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

not sure how old this is, or if its supposed to be sour or not, there was much debate in our group as to whether or not this had gone off. supposed to be a dark blend with maple syrup in oak, which sounds stunning. nowhere does it say lacto fermented or inoculated or anything else about it being a wild ale. other reviewers cite infection, but I kind of think it flatters the base beer, once I accept the fact that all maple sugar, and therefore maple flavor, has likely been eaten by whatever bacterial issue is going on here. I think the acidic tang is nice with the dark grain, which still show their roast, and with the oak, which has sweet vanilla and char going on. the wild yeast aspect crowds out other nuance though, and maple syrup (my second favorite liquid in the world) is entirely absent from this thing. I still like it though, im a sucker for weird, and this is that, for certain. great carbonation and a long pucker finish with a full body. cool winter wild ale, but doubtful this is what the brewers intended.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a tulip, thanks Dan for sharing!

Dark brownish black body, frothy light tan foam. Lasting skim of foam across the top, some spotty lace but not much.

Tobacco and a lightly boozy aroma, appropriate for a barrel aged strong ale. Seems a little subdued though, and lacking some essential complexity.

A biting, alcoholic bourbon finish cuts into the malty base flavors a bit. Some tobacco and roast malt that is overshadowed by the bourbon elements. In the end it seems a bit heavy handed, more whiskey shows through than necessary, raw and unrefined. Light to medium feel, medium level of carbonation. Could use some blending to mellow it out. Thankfully not a diacetyl bomb like the last Cellar Cuvee I tried.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours dark brown in color with small tan head. Booze is definitely a prominent aroma. A strong note of stale hops followed by cocoa, oak, and a mild fruitiness (mostly prunes). The flavor is a touch metallic followed by some mild bourbon, roast, and cocoa. A touch acidic, for some reason, with a little bit of dark fruit. Not a fan of this one at all.

3.39/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

650 mL bottle poured into a taster glass. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Dark and nearly black. Not much head. Some bubbles, but that's it.

Smell - Oak and vanilla. Nondescript combination of bourbon and brandy. I don't get a ton of the base. Maybe some light roast and chocolate.

Taste - Less barrel. Tangy vinous character that gets a touch sour. Chocolate and molasses. Vinous in the finish and slightly boozy.

Mouthfeel - Vinous and quite flat. Not great. Boozy, but not a whole lot of it.

Overall - Tangy. Intentional? Not a bad tang, but it kills some flavors that I would like to taste more.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

4.17/5  rDev +17.1%

Thanks to Jason for sharing this one. Bottle #308 of 336. Served in a Surly Darkness glass.

A - Quick-dissolving tan foam settles to a thin ring and a few tiny spots of lace. Very dark brown body that is a tad lighter at the edges of the glass.

S - Wood, booze, honey, chocolate, vanilla, roasted nuts, and perhaps a hint of brandy. It's pretty boozy, but never reaches offensive levels. The flavors are quite nice, but the barrel presence is a touch heavy-handed.

T - Taste is a pleasant mix of chocolate, roasted grains, maple syrup, and caramel - once you get past the intense oak and bourbon, that is. Gets significantly better and more balanced as it approaches room temperature.

M - Medium-full body, lower carbonation, sticky and chewy, with definite warming alcohol.

D - I was initially wary when I heard this contained the mediocre Brandy Superfly in it, but this is actually a pretty enjoyable high-gravity blend. Probably my favorite Cellar Cuvee so far, although I haven't tried # 1, 2 or 6. Might be wonderful in six-to-twelve months if the booze dies down a little.

1.75/5  rDev -50.8%

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

2.14/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

22oz bottle into snifter. Bottled in 2011, batch 335/336. Thanks to HosP for sending me this one years ago.

A: Pours near black with a finger of dense light brown head that slowly faded into a thick collar.
S: Scents of maple and honey are sweet but not cloying and easily stand out above scents of rich caramel, chocolate syrup, sherry, and musty oak.
T: The sherry flavor from the nose dominates the taste, and is in fact a tart sour cherry infection. Tart cherries hit up front followed by musty earth, sweet molasses and caramel, and a kiss of chocolate. The finish is lightly sour, and a sweet honey/molasses/caramel sweetness lingers.
M: The carbonation screams infection as well. It’s prickly and tingly and really froths up on my palate. Medium body, slick and frothy mouthfeel.
O: Had I drank this fresh the infection might have been unnoticeable, but alas I forgot about it in my cellar for too long. The drain got 95% of this bottle.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

'11 batch, bottle 15/336

A: Pours a dark reddish-brown with a large light brown head adorning it. Fades slowly, leaving a dense lacework behind.

S: Sweet brandy with some cocoa and oatmeal. Loads of vanilla. Maple syrup? Very unique and varied aroma. Hints of toffee from the bourbon comes out as it warms.

T: Nice brandy up front with sweet caramel malt. Turns into an overpowering funky wine-like flavor with lots of tobacco. As it fades I get some cocoa, milk chocolate and oatmeal.

M: Medium bodied, smooth.

O: Interesting, it tastes good up front and in the finish but the middle appears to be some sort of infected mess. Too bad, judging from what I CAN taste, this was a good brew. Another bad bottle from Jackie-O's. Unfortunate quality control.

3.3/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't know how excited I should be to try this. This is made of a 50/50 mix of Brandy Barrel Superfly and Bourbon Barrel Middle of Nowhere Stout. I had the BBMoNS yesterday and though it was good enough, so that I'm not worried about. Rather, the BBS has been polarizing. On-tap when it was released, I thought it was wonderful. From a bottle a month ago, I thought it sucked. Thus I'm not sure how mixing these beers will result. I guess there's only one way to find out.

Poured into a snifter. Bottle #20 of 336.

3.5 A: This looks more like the stout for obvious reasons. Dark brown, nearly black color. Two fingers of creamy tan head. Retention is about average and a short ring of lacing is left.

3.5 S: Interesting. The stout seems to be driving the nose, with the amber adding subtle complexity. All of the components of the BBMoNS are apparent - the maple syrup, the honey, the roastiness, and even the oats. The bourbon is a bit diluted from the original, which is to be expected, but still adds leather, earthy woodiness, vanilla, and some melon fruitiness. The amber itself is tough to find, though it seems to have contributed the the caramel that is also found in the stout. Rather, the biggest player from the BBS is the brandy. It gives a well integrated vinous character along with grape fruitiness. Booze is apparent, but not distracting

3.0 T: I'm not really sure what to think of the taste. One sip I get bourbon and stout, the next I get brandy and stout, and after that I get bourbon and brandy. I just can't get on board with this. It seems strange and muddled, but isn't really bad overall. What I pick up most is roastiness, maple syrup, leathery bourbon, brandy, vanilla, and some astringency from the barrels.

3.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Reasonably creamy and smooth.

3.5 D: I honestly don't know what to think of this. I either love it or hate it, but I decided to split the difference in my scores. Either way, it was an interesting experiment that I'm glad I got to try. I'm not a huge fan about the Cellar Cuvee series as a whole actually...until Brad decides to mix a Rum Barrel Oil with a Bourbon Barrel Kopi Dark App.

I do like how this has come together, but I'm still not crazy about it.

Cellar Cuvee 5 from Jackie O's Pub & Brewery