Valley Trail Chestnut Ale | Whistler Brewing Company

Added by canucklehead on 10-09-2011

Reviews: 17 | Ratings: 57
Reviews by wordemupg:
3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle poured into tulip 21/7/13

A hazy brownish amber, a few bubbles feeding a short lived dark tan film that’s gone in no time leaving some polka dot lace

S nuttella, chocolate milk, vanilla, bottle says chestnut but I get hazelnut and almond butter with a little coco powder

T more of the same really with a handful of pennies I didn’t smell, still very nutty but toned down just a little

M lighter side of medium, slightly creamy and faint nutty coco lingers

O decent but nothing special tastes a little fake, an overly nutty brown ale

I doubt I’d bother again but wouldn’t turn one down if offered, thanks for sharing Trevor and Mike

4.14/5  rDev +4.3%

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

650ml bottle. Maybe one to save for lounging around a Christmas Day fireplace, but it's got plenty of company in Alberta for that indulgence. Even the label marketing pap suggests this as a fall accompaniment, so I'm just splitting the difference. Thoughts of autumn in Italy arise when I delve deeper into what this particular eponymous roasted nut means to me.

This beer pours a deep, brick-like ruddy amber hue, with two fingers of densely foamy, silken beige head, which renders a few arched swaths of lace around the glass as it gently sinks away.

It smells quite pungently of sweet chestnut butter, some further hazelnut cream essences, an initially overlooked big-ass caramel/toffee malt, a bit of mildly astringent oakiness, and very subtle spiced fruit, possibly of the embedded bready sort, maybe. The taste is more sweet mixed nut bowl goodness (generally chestnut and hazelnut), rolled somewhat over top of a still hearty caramel/Toffifay malt backbone, some subtle woody vanilla, mild earthy spice, and nicely supportive leafy, floral hops.

The carbonation is actually rather sublime, i.e. there, but not at the same time, ya know? Anyway, the body maintains a hefty medium weight through all of this, and is pretty smooth, nothing really possessing the will or the means to mess with it. It finishes sweet, but not over or cloyingly so, as the breadiness, spice and hops see to that, in each of their low-fi ways.

Wow - this has fastened zippers and unexpected scarves written all over it. Definitely more of a too-cool (multiple meanings, ooooh!) autumn sojourn than winter snow day indoor frolics, but get this, get this now, and revel in the nutty goodness, before I get all middle school on yo ass, or rather your, um, nuts...

4.17/5  rDev +5%

I have never liked a Whistler brewIng beer. On principle. It is exactly the same beer as Bowen Island brewing (which is decent beer mind you, at $8/6 pack), only repackaged and charged an ADDITIONAL $4/6 pack. Bullshit!

Anyway this special edition isn't available in a more affordable Bowen version.

Poured from the 650ml bottle into my big ale stein

A: pours a dark amber, minimal off white head.
S: sweet vanilla, caramel, chocolate, roasted nuts: chestnuts, almonds, pecans. Desert. Hint of spicy hops.
T: caramel, caramel and more caramel. Good thing I love caramel. Roasted nuts and vanilla. Reminds me a bit of a tootsie roll. Delicious, but a bit too sweet for my liking. The hop choice is a good one. I would have loved to taste something more to help balance out the candy quality of this beer.
M: great carbonation and creaminess for this style.
O: with all the great flavours goon on here, this is an incredibly drinkable and interesting brew. If you like that sort of thing. I would have loved for the sweetness to have been cut down a bit. I would have been damn near perfect for me if it had.

4.31/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Bowen Island Pub during a day trip to Bowen Island. I definitely enjoyed this more than the Bowen Island Lager I also had while there.

A: "Chestnut" brown, red when held to the light. Maybe a finger or a bit less of head.
S: Vanilla, sweet caramel.
T: Nutty, sweet, very enjoyable.
F: Crisp, not overly heavy.
O: I would definitely get this again.

4.56/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- This pours with an exceptional looking head that retains super well....it is an almond/tan color, dense, creamy and provides superior lacing with heavy clumps that stick to the side of my glass. The color of the brew itself is a clear, chestnut brown with a tinge of red in both the top and bottom of my tulip glass! The carbonation is plentiful with many columns of fine but aggressive looking bubbles rising to the top. A well above average looking ale!

S- There is a heavy caramel/chocolate/rich nuttiness that reminds me of a blend of chocolate covered almonds and a caramilk bar. The use of roasted chestnuts provides a uniquely bold Earthy sweetness that contains hints of strawberry and a touch of dry leafy hop cones right on the finish to crisp things up!

T- Cooked brown sugar sweetness that could be attributed to the roasted chestnuts and caramel malts. Vanilla bean is highly noted toffee/molasses, maple glaze, milk chocolate, mocha latte cream, still a hint of strawberry, candied maple syrup....sweet, yet not overpowering on the palate....I'm sure the nuttiness has balanced out the overall sweetness and the finish helps cleanse the palate!

M/O- Buttery creamy smooth on the palate, and overall this is medium plus in body.....highly enjoyable due to it's unique character that I don't believe has any synonyms in the beer world.....not quite like this one. While it is robust and sweet, I find it is rather easy to handle and helps with digestion. It makes a superb dessert beer and I think I would enjoy having a couple of these in a sitting with perhaps a slice of marzipan or a rice krispy square! Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

4.24/5  rDev +6.8%

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

It has a nice dark colour and offers a firm head. Take a whiff of this beer and you know it's something special. Chestnut, Chocolate and Vanilla notes practically punch you in the face. This is one of the more aromatic beers I'd tasted in a while. Those same attributes are there on the tongue but slightly more subdued and the vanilla and caramel really come to the fore front. A great start to the winter beer season.

3.21/5  rDev -19.1%

4.09/5  rDev +3%

I've had this in the fridge since the fall, but never seemed to get around to it.

A: Copper-bronze with an off-white head, very little retention but it shows a little leg.

S: Strong caramel aroma with some underlying toffee and nuts with a hint of fruity esters and woodsy spice.

T: Caramel, biscuit, light nuttyness, woodsy spicing (willamette?), figgy pudding, modest bitterness.

M: Moderate body has a light (but pleasant) residual sweetness.

D/O: It's not off-the-wall, but nicely integrated. I should've had this over christmas.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev -3%

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This one came as a total surprise, both in the appearance, the smell and definitely the taste! Picked up a 650 mL bottle at Sherbrooke on a Christmas visit up in Edmonton. Opened it up about a week later in front of warm fire in my house when my Mom came to visit for New Years. It poured a nice light brown and I was immediately hit with chestnut and chocolate, it smelled very sweet. Lovely head, very faint lacing. I took a swig and immediately I knew that this one was different from anything I'd ever had. It was sweet, maybe too sweet, but something about it had me hooked. I even offered my mother a sip and being that non beer drinker that she is, I wasn't sure what to expect from her reaction. She told me she liked it. I would have to agree with her. It's a pretty solid brew and more of a winter seasonal warmer than a fall seasonal. I can see this being a good beer to have with a nice Christmas dessert, and not an every day drinker.

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Valley Trail Chestnut Ale from Whistler Brewing Company