Baron Von Weizen | The Defiant Brewing Company

Added by JerzDevl2000 on 07-20-2011

Reviews by Huffs:
3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

3.91/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Had this on tap last night at the Iron Horse in Westwood. I heard that these was a new brewery and my server recommended this instead of the Trippel that was also offered. The burger I had was great and this went along pretty nicely with it, even though it wasn't quite how I pictured it would taste.

Good pour to this even though it might have taken a little while to get to my table. The head was moderate and the hue was a dark gold with some lightness around the edges. It took me a while to figure it out, but this beer reminded me of Weihenstephaner because of the type of wheat in it. It was bright, tasty, and strong - certainly enough to make up for the slightly thin mouthfeel. There was a bit of pepper and lemon to be enjoyed too with just a slightly sour aftertaste. This went down nice and easy but never felt watered-down or thin.

This would make a great session beer if I could buy it via the bottle. Nevertheless, this had a very German taste and the hint of spice kept it from being too dull or similar to other beers of this style that I've tried. For $5 a pint, I'd have this again the next time I'm in that neck of the woods. This was a solid offering for the season and for a lover of unfiltered beers like me!

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I really enjoy the pear smell and taste on this. But there is something between mouth feel and the finish. It just doesn't quite get to that mountain top for me. The pear flavor is very nice but the finish is quite dry and doesn't really give you any other interesting flavors. I would definitely drink again but I can give it a really high score.

Baron Von Weizen from The Defiant Brewing Company