Hefe Weiss | Sprecher Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Reviews: 153 | Ratings: 287
3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

I'm on vacation in Wisconsin and decided to give this local brew a try. Poured from a 16 oz bottle - unfortunately, the bar only has pint glasses.

Decent head, typical hefeweizen aroma. Definitely has the expected sweetness and spice, but missing a distinguishing flavor to make it stand out (i.e. banana, clove, etc.).

Beer became flat shortly after initial pour, but I'll blame that on the disparate glassware. Overall, a decent but run-of-the-mill hefeweizen.

Low % ABV and generic taste make this a safe, albeit unexciting, choice.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for this bottle. Served in a Russian River pilsner glass.

Pours a quite hazy light golden color with a several-finger white head and some good ringy lacing on the way down. The nose has a bit of light bread plus some banana and bubblegum; cloves seem to take a back seat. The flavor is along the same lines. Body is thin, lending to the almost candy-like flavor attributable to the bubblegum and banana. Light bread as well. Something a bit odd about it that I don't particularly care for. I think it's just got too much candy-like flavor and there's no real clove to put everything in perspective. Moderate carbonation. Close, but didn't quite do it on a hard to nail style.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

Golden wheat body with a thick and creamy, off-white head.

Citrus orange aroma with vanilla, coriander and caramel background. Certainly bright flavors with the sweet background malts to fill it in.

The taste brings in more of the grainy wheat, leaving behind the strong citrus that is the showcase in the smell. Orange peel is reminiscent about half way through the taste - not really a strong orange flavor, rather the more mellow and bitter part of the orange peel. Not as many spices that seem to dominate other hefeweissens, but they are hiding in this beer as reminders of the multitude of flavors that hefes can bring.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Definitely wet, which makes it a great drinker on a hot summer day.

Overall an OK beer. If I'm in the market for a Hefeweiss, I will consider this one again.

3.17/5  rDev -13.2%

This hefe poured out pretty clear actually, very surprised about that. The head was a little foamy but looked pretty good on this beer. The color was yellowish gold. The smell of the beer is a little sweet, has some fruity aromas and some grain in there too. The taste of the beer was a little on the weak side I thought. There was some yeasty flavors in there with a light citrus too. The mouthfeel was pretty light. Overall not really impressed here, glad I tried it but won't need to have it again.

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

A few years ago, before the brewery started to pastuerize their products this Hefe Weizen was one of my favorites that could stand up against the best of the German imports. Now, it is kind of bland, in my opinion. Nonetheless here is my review:

The appearance of the beer is typical of your hefe weizen slightly cloudy with a decent foamy head.

Smells kind of like cloves/bananas and invites me to drink it.

Taste - although it still is a decent hefe, it just seems that it does not pack as much punch as it once did. Maybe I had a bad bottle, but it tasted almost like a maco's version of their hefe weizen. To be fair, I will try and find a freshly bottled version, but the bottle I had left me somewhat dissapointed.

3.1/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours with a two-finger head that goes quickly and leaves no lace. Medium carbonation. Cloudy amber color. Nose is yeasty. Light bodied, I expect a little more beef with a hefeweizen. Starts with a wheat/yeast flavor and finishes with a yeasty aftertaste. It is though, a good summer beer. $1.95 for a 16oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, MA.

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

Served at the Berghoff, no less, in Chicago. A good thin hefe head with a nice lace. Body is suitably cloudy, like a lemon peel. Nice spice and lemon notes, or maybe that was the smell of the lemon slice they stuck on it. Still, very clean and refreshing, nothing to jump out and bite you, but an ideal lawnmower beer.

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

Appearance: Arrives with a cloudy honey color capped by a modest head that leaves a few strands of lace

Smell: Wheat bread and clove, with a touch of orange

Taste: Bready and clovey, up front, with a distinct orange character arriving by mid-palate; some banana also arrives but the finish is dominated by the wheat bread and clove flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate to high carbonation; limited creaminess

Overall: Very sessionable but the lack of dominant banana flavor makes it far from what I prefer for this style

3.03/5  rDev -17%

Poured in a proper Paulaner Weizen glass this beer does look like a good Hefe.

Cloudy golden color with a tall white head.

Smell is very strongly of cloves. Bubble gum and Banana aromas are missing. Very spicy scent without and detectable flaws.

Taste is mild. Slightly sweet with a bready backbone. Mild metallic flavor defect. Taste is lemony without a strong clove flavor that you can smell in the scent. I suspect that shortcuts were taken with the yeast in this with a large amount of "pacman" yeast was used to speed up production.

Mouthfeel is watery for a wheat beer.

Looks great smells great and that is about it for this beer. Worth tasting one but I will buy Franziskaner before I buy this again.

A - Hazy pale yellow with virtually no head

S - Fairly faint nose of banana and clove, just like you would expect from the style

T - Similarly to the scent, the expected flavors are there, but they're fairly muted

M - Thin moderately carbonated mouthfeel

O - To me this wasn't much more than you're typical hefe, I would certainly drink it again, but I'll never go out of my way to grab another

Weeell, I probably should have started with this rather than the scotch ale/IIPA, but hey, a few bites of an excellent portabella wrap & cheesy potatoes, & my palate is as fresh as spring rain. Six ounce taster at the Wisconsin Dells Sprecher Brewpub.

Pour is all hefe, light, filtered, golden. Nose is clove, spice, wheat.

Sprecher Hefe Weiss is a truly ho-hum take on the style. Wheat, check, cloves, check, bit of spicing, check. Nothing stands out, none of the tastes crackle, it's just what it is.

Routine, decent hefe. Nothing to set this apart from every other hefe on the planet, this is strictly average.

2.97/5  rDev -18.6%

When this beer was poured into my glass, it poured a medium sized white head that quickly dissolved with fine-small sized bubbles. There was no lacing observed with this beer. There was a lot of yeast observed along with a cloudy body and a yellow hue. The nose of this beer was that of clove. The mouthfeel was watery and thin. This beer lacked character in my opinion.

2.96/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into a Sierra Nevada Wheat glass, a great looking cloudy yellow gold, with a big mound of frothy white head.

Smell is mostly grainy wheat, with a strong clove presence. No sign of fruity notes at all.

Malt and yeast sweetness with clove spice up front, with a transition into lemon zest backed up by a light hop bite.

Mouthfeel is light. Overall, a decent Hefe, but really no different from a handful of other more readily available brews. For the price, I'd get a Pinkus, and enjoy it alot more.

2.96/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer pours a mostly cloudy yellow-orange color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes slowly into sticky lacing. The aroma is of lemons, and bubblegum. It is a very acidic aroma. I like acidity, but this aroma just doesn't do it for me. The taste is of bubblegum, and tangy wheat. It is a very faint taste too. The mouthfeel is light bodied, and watery. This beer has all the classic characteristics of an American Pale Wheat Ale, and none of a hefeweizen. I can't see myself drinking this beer again.

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Served in a weiss glass.

Appearance -- Poured hazy, golden, and yellow. Nice creamy, white, two finger head.

Smells -- Smells like a weiss . . . but weaker in a way. Musty . . .

Taste -- This is missing something. I'm not especially good at identifying what's going on with a weiss, but this is definitely missing that tart oomph.

Mouthfeel -- Medium feel to it. Not totally unpleasant.

Drinkability -- I made this purchase at the suggestion of my brother who likes this beer very much. I wasn't very impressed. I'll probably try giving the remaining bottles to my brother so I can concentrate on other beers that I'm fonder of. Not the worse beer I've ever had, but I won't buy it again for quite a while.

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours with a traditional hefeweizen hazy gold color and fluffy white head. Nose is also traditional - banana/clove. Very yeasty on tip, a medium mouthfeel. Flavors fail to round out, leaves me with a bit of a burnt flavor. Has all of the qualities of a Bavarian Weiss beer, I'm just a bit turned off by that burnt flavor in the mid-mouth.

2.89/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured into an oddly curved pilsner glass from a bottle. (It's the closest I could get to an actual weizen glass very rich dark yellow (the color is nearly gold but not quite. Very murky with very little light

A- Pours a clear gold and upon resting in the glass, the beer is
very little light penetration in this beer, although it dose allow some through. While there is a very quick fizzy head that forms right upon pouring it into the glass it dissipated so fast that I didn't even really have much time at all to look at it. There is absolutely no trace of a head afterwords unless the glass is stirred around a bit. Even then however it doesn't last very long at all and seems to be more bubbly than foamy. Some bubbles appear on the side of the glass to show that it's carbonated but because of the murkiness of this beer no other ones are visible.

S- Upon opening the bottle you can immediatly smell the sweet scent of bublegum and banana mixed in with clove and nutmeg spiciness. It loses a little bit of it's spiciness and aroma however once it's poured into the glass. The remaining scent is fainter then the one caught straight from the bottle. with a smell almost reminiscent of old stale bread with a light candied sweetness to it. The smell is a bit musty and almost a little like cardboard at first as well.

T- The taste reminds me of Italian bread with an added sweet start and a sour finish which are both very light. Taste is a little bit watery. The sourness at the end is sweet somewhat but also very reminiscent of vegetables. For whatever reason the sourness reminds me of a dry red wine.
Very beady and grainy in between. A somewhat light tasting beer.

M- A bit chewy with a medium body and a bit of a crisp finish from the carbonation. This is another one of those beers that seems to completely coat your mouth when drinking it leaving a lasting dryness.

O- This beer was a let down. The smell straight from the bottle got me a bit excited but unfortunately it was all downhill from there. I won't necessarily say that it is a bad beer but It isn't one that I enjoy to much. The sourness came off very odd in this beer and the smell once it was poured into a glass wasn't the greatest. I just didn't like the mustiness. While I do think that some of the blame for the lack of head and the faint smell once poured, may in part be due to the glass I poured it in I don't think it had an incredibly major impact on my reaction's. However, it dose motivate me to want to go out and buy a heifweizen glass for the next time I review a beer like this. I definitely plan on finishing it but I doubt I would buy it again.

Edit: Upon my second pour a nice white foamy head actually did appear and stay for quite some time at about 1cm in height before it eventually faded into a thin layer just cover the top of the beer and the sides of the glass.

2.82/5  rDev -22.7%

Another new beer for me to sample, along with a few friends this past Sunday.

A: Pours a cloudy light orange color, with a quarter inch white head that fizzled out, and formed a ring of bubbles, no lacing.

S: Light wheat barley, mild orange peel, some mild yeast.

T: Semi sweet wheat, malted barley, mild orange peel.

M: Light mouth, medium carbonation, semi-refreshing.

O: Average for me. I didnt get any banana, or lemon zest, or clove. Hefeweizens are something, for me, that can be awesome when done extremely well, but also be made average when just made strictly to recipe. This one just didnt hit the mark for me.

2.79/5  rDev -23.6%

I swear I have had this beer before. Untappd doesn’t show that I have. Anyway, I love it that this label is on a beer made in the United States. The brewery was originally started in Milwaukee, but is now in Wisconsin. Looking at the label on this, you would never guess it was from here. I am not a huge fan of this style, as they all seem to taste the same. But I am excited to try this one because it’s over 100 degrees outside, and a beer like this is meant for a hot summer night.

In the Glass: The beer is pretty hazy, and reminds me of an unfiltered wheat beer. I have been on an unfiltered wheat beer kick lately. Not sure if it’s the hot weather or the subtle sweet finish, but I am digging that style right now. The beer also pours heavy with a thick, creamy head.

Nose: There isn’t much on the nose. What I am picking up is that orange zest that you expect from this style. Think Blue Moon. This doesn’t seem like a beer that would get better as it heats up, either. This is a style you want to drink cold.

Flavor: The flavor is quite nice. It is quite complex starting off smooth and shallow working across the palate to provide a punch of flavor near the swallow into a dry finish. The finish stays dry, and quickly fades. With such a low ABV I could see myself chugging this beer. I bet it tastes better on tap.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is weak. There isn’t a lot going on here, and it almost tastes flat at first. There aren’t a lot of bubbles, and as you swallow the tongue sort of sits there wanting more. It leaves for a smooth drinking beer, though.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is dry at the beginning, and quickly fades. I want that dryness to stick around, but as I continue to swallow it doesn’t really do much.

The beer is cheap, which is nice. It has a low ABV, which is not nice. When it comes to craft beer, 8-10% is where I want my beers to be. I want a beer that when I finish a bottle I am feeling it. I would have to drink several of these just to get a buzz. I like the flavors, but the beer really isn’t doing much for me. Maybe it’s the style.

Sprecher Hefe Weiss - The bottle says: “A cloudy appearance and an immense creamy head are characteristic of this lightly hopped Bavarian-style brew. This course-filtered wheat ale is germinated with a German yeast culture for a refreshing close spiciness and hints of citrus fruit.”

2.74/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This one is destined to make me feel sad and melancholy. It was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77 which then became a part of my interminable bottle backlog. I have come to the realization that I will be unable to attend the 2014 Great Taste of the Midwest this year. Boo hoo. Only my second miss in eleven years! I raise this beer in a toast to my MKE homies: Mike Romans; John & Laura Burke and the displaced Jurkowski, who I will see in two weeks.

From the bottle: "A cloudy appearance and an immense creamy head are characteristic of this lightly hopped Bavarian-style brew."; "This coarse-filtered wheat ale is fermented with a German yeast for a refreshing clove spiciness and hints of citrus fruit."

I agitated the heck out of this one in the bottle, then let fly into my glass, but I still only got a finher of off-white head that quickly fell to wisps. Color was a hazy, not cloudy, deep-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7). Nose had a buttery, butterscotch odor. That said, I know that such is considered a flaw in most styles, but it is also one that I rarely pick up. Was it diacetyl? We shall see. Mouthfeel was thin. Taste was not quite right. I was getting the usual banana esters, but in a tangy way, not as sweet as I am used to. I was getting the banana/clove esters on the finish, but in a muted way. Not bad, but I have had better. Give my fond regards to MKE, Madison, and Wisconsin in general!

2.71/5  rDev -25.8%

Nice start to this brew, hefty head, promising looking yeasty haze. A swirl and pour of the bottle's last remains helps substantiate the beer's medium body. The aroma is citrusy with lemon and some banana. However, there's a bit of funk in here. Some strange farm, horse blanket notes are detected in the aroma and flavor. Hmm...this is a Hefe Weizen and not a lambic (?) - curious. Mouthfeel is spot on for a Hefe. Though this brew seems to be well regarded, it seems as though I'm not enjoying it as much. I'm a fan of a good Hefe but this is a bit off.

2.7/5  rDev -26%

This brew pours a medium head of fine to large white bubbles and a slightly cloudy straw yellow body. It has banana clove aroma and a smooth initial flavor rush of banana and apricot. It finishes with a slight tingling mouth feel. The buttery notes of a Hefe-Weiss are just barely present. It is just an average at best Hefe-Weiss.

2.66/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Resurrection Ale House in Philly. Served in a wheat beer glass. Beer is yellow and hazy, forms a big white head of small and medium bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to high. Looks good.

Mild banana esters, some wheatiness. Overall a little weak but it smells OK.

All downhill from here. Beer is thin and grainy. Very watery. Carbonation in the mouth is not helping this beer at all. Almost a harshness on the back end. I love hefe's, this was one of the poorest examples (taste wise) I've come across in a while. Will not drink again.

2.6/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy dark golden yellow color with straw colored hues when held to a light source and a thin frothy white head that slowly fades into a thin lasting ring. Minimal lacing.

Spicy aroma with hints of clove and coriander along with some crisp citrus fruit and ripe banana. Hints of grapefruit and lemon peel.

The appearance and aroma were okay but the mouthfeel and flavor of this beer are seriously lacking. Slightly creamy mediu body that's on the lighter end of the spectrum with a prominent spice character. The clove and coriander notes overpower what little citrus fruit flavor there is. Subtle hints of banana and lemon peel. Zesty dry finish.

2.56/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 16 oz. bottle, this Hefe Weiss will conclude my three wheat beer evening. Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat was a fail, as was Sudwerk Hefewiezenl My last chance is afoot..

Suddenly I notice that this is a twistoff bottle. Oh no!

Pours light in color and with a weak yeast presence.

Nose is bubble gum and sour yeast. Not bad yet unexciting to say the least.

Flavor follows and finishes swiftly. Finish is chalky and lacks the lingering finish one would expect from the style.

Yet another hefeweizen that should not be called as such. Not enough oxygen for them yeasties.

Hefe Weiss from Sprecher Brewing Company