Hefe Weiss | Sprecher Brewing Company

sprecherbrewery.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled as part of a flight at Sprecher's Wisconsin Dells. Pour arrived with a thin head, very hazy glowing white-yellow, leaving fits and starts of lacing. Smell was virtually absent. Not much nose at all. Flavor comes up a notch with orange zest, cloves in a body of earthy grains. Spice elements definitely noticable here if not in the nose. Medium body. Decent carbonation. Easy to drink, but fairly unremarkable in a broader sense of Hefeweizens.

2.79/5  rDev -23.8%

I swear I have had this beer before. Untappd doesn’t show that I have. Anyway, I love it that this label is on a beer made in the United States. The brewery was originally started in Milwaukee, but is now in Wisconsin. Looking at the label on this, you would never guess it was from here. I am not a huge fan of this style, as they all seem to taste the same. But I am excited to try this one because it’s over 100 degrees outside, and a beer like this is meant for a hot summer night.

In the Glass: The beer is pretty hazy, and reminds me of an unfiltered wheat beer. I have been on an unfiltered wheat beer kick lately. Not sure if it’s the hot weather or the subtle sweet finish, but I am digging that style right now. The beer also pours heavy with a thick, creamy head.

Nose: There isn’t much on the nose. What I am picking up is that orange zest that you expect from this style. Think Blue Moon. This doesn’t seem like a beer that would get better as it heats up, either. This is a style you want to drink cold.

Flavor: The flavor is quite nice. It is quite complex starting off smooth and shallow working across the palate to provide a punch of flavor near the swallow into a dry finish. The finish stays dry, and quickly fades. With such a low ABV I could see myself chugging this beer. I bet it tastes better on tap.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is weak. There isn’t a lot going on here, and it almost tastes flat at first. There aren’t a lot of bubbles, and as you swallow the tongue sort of sits there wanting more. It leaves for a smooth drinking beer, though.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is dry at the beginning, and quickly fades. I want that dryness to stick around, but as I continue to swallow it doesn’t really do much.

The beer is cheap, which is nice. It has a low ABV, which is not nice. When it comes to craft beer, 8-10% is where I want my beers to be. I want a beer that when I finish a bottle I am feeling it. I would have to drink several of these just to get a buzz. I like the flavors, but the beer really isn’t doing much for me. Maybe it’s the style.

Sprecher Hefe Weiss - The bottle says: “A cloudy appearance and an immense creamy head are characteristic of this lightly hopped Bavarian-style brew. This course-filtered wheat ale is germinated with a German yeast culture for a refreshing close spiciness and hints of citrus fruit.”

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Golden wheat body with a thick and creamy, off-white head.

Citrus orange aroma with vanilla, coriander and caramel background. Certainly bright flavors with the sweet background malts to fill it in.

The taste brings in more of the grainy wheat, leaving behind the strong citrus that is the showcase in the smell. Orange peel is reminiscent about half way through the taste - not really a strong orange flavor, rather the more mellow and bitter part of the orange peel. Not as many spices that seem to dominate other hefeweissens, but they are hiding in this beer as reminders of the multitude of flavors that hefes can bring.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Definitely wet, which makes it a great drinker on a hot summer day.

Overall an OK beer. If I'm in the market for a Hefeweiss, I will consider this one again.

1.91/5  rDev -47.8%

served on-tap at The Alcove, Tuscaloosa, AL, into a mason jar

Pours a respectable and expected hazy yellow color. It's got half a finger of white head. It looks like a hefe. Nothing more, nothing less.

The aroma? Not respectable. Thin wheat smell. I guess what I mean by "thin" is "barely there." It smells like wheat water. That someone dropped a lemon slice into, I suppose. The hefe yeast? It smells artificial or something. Like, there's clove but it smells fake. This whole thing smells fake.

The taste is even worse. The yeast flavors are seriously off-putting. Like an old, old bottle of stale cloves poured into my mouth through a melting PVC pipe. The beer itself is so watery tasting too. A massive failure.

It tastes watery, so of course it has a pretty watery mouthfeel. It's spritzy, which is good, but so insubstantial.

Overall, this is a failure of a hefewiezen. I will not drink one ever again.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Cloudy brownish-orange color with a solid two finger foamy head, leaves behind concentric rings of lacing on the glass.

S. Bananas and clove aroma, some sweet wheat aroma, lighter amounts of lemon peel and grassy herbal hopping.

T. Lemon peel accents on a honeyed wheat malt. The cloves and bananas are quite a bit lighter than the nose had suggested.

M. Somewhat thinner in texture than I prefer my Hefeweizens, but it is quite nicely carbonated. (neither too much nor too little carbonation)

Hefe Weiss from Sprecher Brewing Company