Special Amber

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Special AmberSpecial Amber
Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews: 184 | Ratings: 368 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by mjpolzin:

4.06/5  rDev +11.8%

Uh oh, I am the first to review this under "Serving Type - [CAN]" so I want to get in front of this before my detractors weigh in. It exists in a CAN, jagovs! A basic tenet of The CANQuest (TM) is NO lying. If it is not CANned or if I simply CANnot get one, I am not going to post a fictitious review for the sake of a Glug (because CANs don't tick, only Glug). Plus, I am VERY relieved to have another CAN. My first one was from the For Trade basket at Bella Vista and it was in a bag with four Sixpoint CANs purchased at Hawthorne's and while at a third (unnamed) establishment during PHL Beer Week, the bag disappeared. It was my fault for putting it down while grabbing a beer, but it did not make me happy, either.

From the CAN: "Milwaukee's Original Microbrewery"; "Established in [MKE] - 1985"; "Fire-Brewed".

The Crack introduced me to a VERY active beer that jumped right out at me like a little kid on the arrival of a favorite relative. I let it settle down, as I always do with little kids, taking a W. C. Fields stance towards them. The Glug resulted in a dense rocky finger of tawny head with modest retention. As to color, this was truth in advertising at its finest - a beautiful, deep amber bordering on copper with NE-quality clarity. When I see women with a natural head of hair this color, I fall instantly in lust. I turn into Lennie from "Of Mice and Men", wanting to touch their hair and jabbering on about freckles and pale skin. Sometimes, it actually works! This beer was equally beautiful. The nose had a caramel malt sweetness to it and while that may not be enticing to me, it was not off-putting, either. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a grassy light astringency on the tongue. Finish had a mild grassy bitterness overlaying the light sweetness underneath. I am definitely getting some of this for the cooler!

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

I bought a single bottle of this from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $1.79 in early 2011.

Pours a golden amber color with a very bubbly head of foam. Scent is strong with grassy wheats, malts, and a slight touch of citrus. Taste is bold and refined. It is a smooth well blended mixture of wheats, hops, and malts. Is rather refreshing with a not too light/not to strong taste that drinks perfectly. Probably one of the best Vienna Lagers I've had to date.

3.47/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L - Medium amber. Clear. Short off-white head, not persistent.

S - Sweet malts. Lightly toasted bread, brown sugar, a little raisin.

T - Sweet medium roasted malts balanced by spicy and grassy hops.

F - Medium.

O - Slightly thin amber with a good dose of hops. Pretty good balance.

2.28/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Weird - this tastes almost exactly like the previous beer I drank (Big Wood Bad Axe).

Less head (this one almost looks flat when poured) and more yellow than orange. Less hazy.

Smells less pungent - but has same over-ripe nectarine with subtle hints of pineapple but no grapefruit.

Tastes almost identical to Bad Axe. I wonder if recipes were shared?

M - Less syrupy but still somewhat 'thick' for a beer.

O - As with Bad axe, glad I bought only one. Not one of my favorites.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Clear, amber pour with less than one finger of head. Quickly dissipates to a ring

Sweet, malty aroma with a decent amount of hop background.

Plenty of roasted malts and caramel flavor are up front. There is a slight hop balance, but definitely more malt forward.

Good carbonation provides a rich mouthfeel.

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap in liter stein at "The Three" in Milwaukee during the Super Bowl, just catching up on the review now from some notes I jotted in my phone...the bar officially know as Y-Not Y-Not Y-Not. Props to the owners on a great Super Bowl Party, the venison stew was tops!

Bright almost neon appearance. This beer is super-bright orange! Very cool in that respect.

Smell is a little lacking. I like the hop and malt profiles, but the yeast funk is not strong enough for a Vienna style lager in my opinion.

Pretty tasty, not a stand out, but well balanced and nothing objectionable. I tend to be a little critical of ambers, but this isn't bad.

Must be highly drinkable, because I drank 4 liters worth of steins as the Packers romped their way to a victory!

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured out of a 16 oz bottle into a tulip style pint glass

A) Amber as the name implies. A foamy finger of head dissipates to a nice dusting. Good retention, not much lacing. Decent amount of carbonation noted.

S) Malty sweetness and a little bit of floral and citrus from the hops.

T) Nicely balanced brew. Sweet roasted malt, caramel flavor followed by light pine, grass and a bitter finish.

M) Lighter than I remember, and not lacking carbonation. It's pretty crisp. I wouldn't call it smooth, but it is easy drinking. Lingering aftertaste, that is just okay.

O) Very solid lager here, and definitely one of my favorites from Sprecher. Takes me back to the first Brewer game played at Miller Park. I was guzzling these in the Sprecher tent while tailgating. The next morning, my Dad asked me about when they opened up the retractable roof. I was like, the what now??? Who won? Thanks Sprecher...

3.52/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a bottle off the single shelf at a grocery store outside of Milwaukee. It poured a clear amber with thin white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent had slight bitter hop zeal. the taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a decent beer.

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours out translucent golden brown with a short lived two finger fluffy head, mild lacing. Smells mostly of heavy caramel malt, bready yeasty notes, and some very mild earthy and spice hop aspects. Taste is like graham crackers and nut-tinged malts stampeding all over your tongue. The mild hop presence doesn't even appear until the finish, and even than it is an understated kiss goodnight of noble hops on your lips. It could use a small boost to those noble hops. However, the body is the main issue with this brew. To my mouth, this beer comes across as thin and watery, if only it had a slightly chewier texture, or just a bit heavier body, than I would have to search really damn hard to find something else to nitpick.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

Bottle into pint glass
A – A clear honey amber brew with an off-white 1 finger head which reduced to a thin layer with no lacing 3.5
S – Sweet caramel malts with subtle florals and a slight citrus hoppiness 3.5
T – Reminds me of the sweet Hawaiian bread. Malts are caramel with a nutty characteristic with just enough hop presence that you will not miss it nice balance 4
M – Light body and very good drinkability with enough substance to keep it from feeling thin 4
O – As I grow older I find the good experiences in my life are growing in number enough that I will only remember the extraordinary experiences. A nice beer I will not remember or visit again. 3.5

3.34/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Special Amber from Sprecher Brewing Company