Mai Bock | Sprecher Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States
sprecherbrewery.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Availability: Spring

2004 and 1988 Bronze Medal Winner in the Bock category at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-13-2002

2.22/5  rDev -40.5%

I think Sprecher's Bavarian Black is exceptional, but I'm frequently disappointed by other beers of theirs that I try, and unfortunately this is one of those disappointments. This beer has a great appearance, but a metallic aroma and flavor that mars an otherwise pleasing sweat caramel maltiness.

Appearance of this beer is quite good; it is a sparkling and clear copper color with good head formation and retention. Aroma is distinctly coppery, more metallic than it is malty. And flavor is the same - I get maltiness up front, but I get a distingly disturbing copper taste at the finish that lingers in my mouth a long, long while. Not so good. Mouthfeel is OK, but I can't say I recommend this beer.

2.23/5  rDev -40.2%

Please, do not waste your money on this beer. Go to the tour and try it at the end, but rewarding poor craftsmanship at a place like this only serves to encourage them.

2.41/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 16 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- has a yeasty type aroma that is not all that inviting.
Appearance- A dark yellow colored beer with a white head.
Taste- Very disappointing, has a malt flavor that I do not particularly care for. I am a fan of Maibock style beer but this taste is off the mark for me.
Palate - A medium bodied beer with a dry finish with a not-so pleasant aftertaste.
Overall - A big disappointment for me. I was hoping for 16Oz of pure enjoyment, instead it was drudgery finishing this beer off.

2.46/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

2.5/5  rDev -33%

2.56/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours dark golden, heavy carbonation, real nice lacing on this. No real head to speak of. This has a really malty scent, almost sickly sweet smell to it. Not really my thing. I always thought I really liked Mai Bocks, but I think it's the season I like more than the beer. Way too sweet for me and no hop taste to speak of. It's not Sprecher's fault, just more my evolving tastes in what I enjoy. Definitely tastes better as it warms. Mouthfeel isn't anything special, it's a little heavy. 6% ABV, but feels like it has a little more kick to it. Definitely high drinkability, but not for me. Split a sixer with a friend and move to something else. Although, I will say, I have friends that will suck this stuff down all day long.

2.58/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours a deep golden clear color with a white quickly dissipating head. Aroma is of biscuity malts and a bit stale. Flavor is way off. Wet paper, metallic, and a long lasting bitterness. No solid malt complexity. Med-light in body with moderate carbonation. This is no bueno, and comes from a brewery that can produce a high quality lager. I really appreciate this style of beer, and love the vibrant rich balance of the malt and hops, but this leaves me plain disapointed.

2.74/5  rDev -26.5%

Talk about bitter tasting. Wow! This beer poured a medium sized white head with fine-small sized bubbles that quickly diminished. There was very little lacing on the sides of my glass with this beer. The hue of this beer was amber with a spicy nose. There was a bitter taste that lingered.

2.76/5  rDev -26%

This brew poured a medium head of fine to medium sized off white bubbles and a transparent light amber body. It has a spicy aroma with a bitter initial taste of spiced hops and a lingering bitter after taste. It has a fair lacing. It tastes like it has more than a 6% ABV. It leaves a lingering tingly mouth feel. I didn’t care much for the bitterness in this Maibock. It seems more like an ESB than a bock.

2.94/5  rDev -21.2%

Bottle provided amid a bunch of stuff given to me for volunteering at 2005 GABF. Thanks for the opportunity. Stamp on the bottle reads 27478 51941246 and the label reads "consume within 120 days of stamp". Well, find a date for me somewhere in that stamp.

Pours a two and a half finger very very light orangish white head over a crystal clear light orange somewhat rust colored liquid. Looks like the color of the oompa loompa's from the original "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" movie. Smells of TETTNANGER HOPS!!! That means *potently* of tettnanger hops. With additional searching, hops is all I get (here's a note from near the end of the glass: I can smell toast, which may come from the use of biscuit malt). Earthy grassy rich deep dark car-repair garage dirty tettnanger hops. Tastes momentarily malty sweet before strong tettnanger hops take the stage. They're sorta bitter, very floral, grassy, and even somewhat sour. Some of the sour may actually be coming from some of the grains. I wonder if there might be some munich or crystal malt at play beneath the hops. The hops are so over-bearing that I can't tell. There is a malt base, but I'm too distracted by the hops to pick out the flavors. Yeah, okay, now I get it as almost a biscuit malt or the crust of toasted bread. The finish is dry and the hop bitter takes a form that makes the corners of my mouth frown. An interesting exploration into tettnanger hops, but I'm not sure I could sit down and drink this all evening. It began to taste better the more I had, so maybe a second beer would taste even better. Md light body and moderate, but sharp, carbonation. Nice lacing on the inside of the glass.

Dear Sprecher: Sorry for the low scores, this beer is judged to style not to the taste. There's very little bock character in this beer and it's waa-ay too hoppy. Create a new category, say...India Helles Bock..and this beer fits right in. Kudos to you for pushing the limits. This offering makes me eager to try other beers you make.

(Served in an Imperial strange)

A- This beer pours a pecan colored body with a strong carbonation supporting a lumpy buttermilk colored head that last for much of the beer.

S- The soft smell of raw grain has a note of sawdust to it with some soft sulfur notes and a faint butter hint at the finish.

T- The soft caramel malt flavor is dry with a hint of sweet nougat and a soft green spice hop hint at the finish. As the beer warmed there was a note of sweet corn in the finish.

M- This beer had a medium-full mouthfeel due to the thick head and a tight fizz in the finish that cleaned up the soft taste and no alcohol heat.

D- This beer has soft but bland flavors with no real fresh or clean malt qualities and no much hop note at all. This beer was not offensive or bad tasting just very muted.

Sprecher's Maibock pours out a big fluffy head over a slightly cloudy tawny
brew. Carbonation is moderate, and the nose is malt and barley. The flavor
is of barley, a bit sweet up front with a slight hop finish. Mouthfeel is round,
with a mild grassy aftertaste. Nicely boozy at 6% alcohol by volume. Good
lacing all the way down the glass. Is it a great beer? No. It's actually pretty
average. But they are selling 4 packs of various Sprecher brands for about
$4.50- and the bottles are pub pints. A buck and change for a big bottle of
beer is a hell of a value- the beer is not super, but it's decent, and that puts
it head and shoulders over most longnecks you'll see in your favorite dive
bar.

Sprecher's version of maibock is fine for what it is. Copper colored, it looks nice in the glass. But, the taste is a bit thin, and doesn't provide the depth of character suggested by the pour.

Picked it up while getting something else at the liquor store, so it’s one more for the list. I wouldn't turn it down if it was handed to me at a party.

3.01/5  rDev -19.3%

Reviewing this, Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Capital Brewery Mai Bock, and Tyranena Fighting Finches Mai Bock simultaneously. Looks okay, a slightly red-tinted amber color. Smells sweet and acrid, like wet dog--not good. Taste is similar, but less offensive. Slight lingering bitterness. Does have a nice, smooth mouthfeel, which would make it easy to drink, if I cared for the smell at all.

3.06/5  rDev -18%

A- Amber colored with a small head that disapates quickly and leaves slight lacing. Constant release of bubbles long after the pour which I find appealing.

S- Sweet and malty with just a hint of yeast. No alcohol smell to speak of.

T- Malt with a hint of hoppiness on finish. A sweet tasting beer.

M- A bit heavier than I expected. A dry aftertaste.

An enjoyable brew but not my favorite Sprecher beer.

3.06/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a brilliant dark golden with light ruby hues. Nice creamy looking head, that sticks around for a while.

S: Bread and biscuit, some earthy hop aroma and fruitiness from the yeast.

T: First notable flavour is the fruitiness imparted by the yeast. Unfermented malt extract, (concentrated malt sweetness). A little biscuity/bready, but it takes a back seat to the malt sweetness and underlying earthy hop flavour.

M: Medium to high carbonation.

D: Not that desirable. Alright, but not that great of flavour or drinkability.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

Presentation: 16 oz brown bottle.

Pure white head that floats to the sides quickly. Very noticeable carbonation. A pale orange color that looks a bit light and watered down. Decent lacing that doesn't really hold or last.

A bold sweet-malt aroma is the overwhelming component in the smell here. Some very faint caramel and floral aromatics as well. Nothing too special in terms of aromatics.

Sweet malt flavor. Again, some very minor tones of toffee but it's the sweet honey/maltiness that captures the palate. A bitterness at the end that conflicts a bit with the overwhelming sweetness.

A little unbalanced with the heavy sweetness. It does have a decent crispness for the style though.

It is a drinkable maibock but not one that I would recommend if you're looking for a solid representation of the style. In my opinion, this is one to pass on.

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Thank CDKrenz for this treat.
Poured into a pint glass this brew has a dark golden color with a 1 1/2 finger off white head that lasted a little while leaving some decent lacing. The aroma of this brew is a little sweet and a little spicy. Some floral hops along with some caramel malts behind a little spicy hop notes. The taste is quite malty with a little hops fighting through. This is a little heavier than I anticipated. Not as balanced as I would have hoped leaning towards the malty side of things. An alright brew but better bocks out there.

3.17/5  rDev -15%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.19/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.2/5  rDev -14.2%

Bought a Sprecher variety pack while in a German beer mood in my personal brewing.

Pours a decent color light amber with moderate head retention. Light lacing on the glass.

Aroma is decent with some mild fruity esters of apricot and apple.

My main issue is that this is over-sweet. The caramel malt overtone is near unpleasant and overwhelms whatever else this beer has to offer. There's a strong hit of hops there. Though perhaps a bit too bitter the hop flavor might also be interesting if it wasn't submerged in the syrupy malt flavor.

The composition does not hold together in the mouth and it tends to fall apart leaving mostly the sweetness and little of the other flavors.

I'd serve it to friends as another beer to have on hand, but would not buy again for myself.

3.22/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Can I give a boost appearance wise for the cool bottles? Good dark yellow color with a full inch of white head. Looks good. A mild grainy aroma with helles type lager yeast impressions.

Taste was a little more bitter than expected, still has that farmland (not farmhouse) type of alfalfa/hay/earth vibe to it. Carbonation is up there.

A decent if not relatively average beer, well priced.

3.23/5  rDev -13.4%

16 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a crystal clear copper hue with a fluffy two finger white head that dies down to a layer of bubles that lasts throughout. No webbing on the sides, the bubbles seem to have no "stick" in them. Lots of bubbles racing to collect at the top. Smell is very malty and spicey. Caramel sweetness and toasted nuts in the nose. Some light lemongrass and floral hops in the aroma as well. Taste is a bit bland. Subtle caramel malt and watered down honey. Some spice and dirty grass midway with an empty water-like pepper aftertaste. Mouthfeel is decent, light and creamy with a flowing carbonation. I love my maibocks, but I don't love this beer. This one lacks in flavor which my favorite maibocks posess. I'm glad I tried this beer, but I won't seek it out again.

3.24/5  rDev -13.1%

Picked this up fresh from the brewery.

Pours a deep amber tone, capped with sticky, dimpled foam that crackles audibly. Lacing is present before the first sip.

Aroma is of musty hay. There's some earthy grain, but it's not the most pleasant. It's dry-hopped, but there's not much of the floral aroma that the label promises.

Taste is rather malty, some light hop presence, and an unfortunate metallic twinge. It has a briny quality as well that is off-putting. No sweetness at all.

Mouthfeel is about what you'd expect for a bock, but without alot of gusto. Slightly watery, decent level of carbonation.

It's drinkable, but I won't be picking it up again. Capital is my go-to Maibock.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Mai Bock from Sprecher Brewing Company