Total Domination IPA

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Total Domination IPATotal Domination IPA
Notes: Ninkasi website:
"6.7% alc./vol. 65 ibus. Always available in 22 oz bottles, and on draft."
Reviews: 399 | Ratings: 1,544 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
travolta from California

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: golden color with apricot colored edges. Good white lacing with a nice egg whipped head.

Nose: herbal with astringent happiness up front. Pine and resin with a touch of pepper.

Taste: crisp carbonation up front. Light caramel and resin in the middle. Tangerine and grapefruit in the middle which leads to a hop driven “wet” finish. A dry, or toasted white bread taste at the very end.

Oct 19, 2019
Phyl21ca from Canada

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle: Poured a golden color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some good amount of lacing. Aroma of citrusy hops notes with light residual sugar notes also perceptible. Taste is also a mix of citrusy hops notes, light resin with some residual sugar note and subtle bitterness. Body is about average with good carbonation. Enjoyable west-coast IPA but nothing to write home about.

Oct 11, 2019
ZipDipper from California

3.21/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The color is golden, with a slight haziness. The smell and flavor have a slight sourness, which I found distracting. The bitter finish was also less than I had hoped for.

Jul 02, 2019
jadpsu from Georgia

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

LOOK: Another IPA that is filtered and crystal clear. More orange than amber in color. Slightly off white cream colored
head that has decent retention as well as side glass lace.
AROMA: Herbal, stringent hops and bread malts. Some pine.
TASTE: Moderately tart, resinous, not really picking up the usual IPA citrus. Some faint caramel attached to the malt base.
OVERALL: Name would suggest a stronger IPA that would win over the hop heads. This one probably would disappoint the hop heads, but not me.

Jun 04, 2019
RyanK252 from California

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a Mountain Rambler Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours golden orange amber with a frothy beige head that settles to a firm layer and laces very nicely.

S: Resinous, peppery spice, herbal, slightly floral, a touch of citrus, and toasty bready malt, without even the faintest hint of sweetness.

T: Resinous pine, herbal, earthy, peppery, citrus, some zest and pith, grapefruit, lemon, and a little tangerine, faint floral notes, slightly toasty bready malt, and only the tiniest hint of sweetness.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: Don't know how I haven't had this one until now. Classic west coast IPA with dare I say a little English influence. Haven't had a good IBU smack to the face like this in a while. Definitely lives up to the name.

May 12, 2019
Corvallis from Oregon

4.6/5  rDev +25%

I like hoppy. I like a beer that gets your attention with the first taste of the first bottle. This is hoppy, and made in Eugene, Look is so objective, and I drink from a bottle; so I don't see it. Feel ...it fights back with the first swallow. I don't sniff beer; I drink it. Oregon. 20 Dec.2018

Dec 20, 2018
sjrider from California

Disclaimer 1st - drank 2 bombers during performance of a play "Christmas at Pemberley". Quaffed from bottles so can't say what it looked like but it smelled good ,was well within the drink by date and tasted great. The play wasn't bad either.

Dec 03, 2018
iguanodon from Utah

3.68/5  rDev 0%

[Original rating 2015-05-15] Pours deep gold with a medium off white head, A little hazy. with some fine carbonation rising from the bottom. Aroma is bready malt, a little citrus and pine. Taste is sweet malt with a bitter citrus and pine finish. Over all a solid IPA.

Oct 24, 2018
Vetbidder from Pennsylvania

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I think I may like this a bit more than most. To me it’s got a nice slightly sweet flavor that limits the bitterness a bit. Easy to drink and decent body with a bit less carbonation. I like this.

Jul 17, 2018
Ahypercube from California

4.01/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I think this is a better beer than this rating gives it credit. It's too piney/herbal on the hop profile for my taste, but has a solid balance, substantial texture, and a very fresh hoppy aroma. Poured this guy into a pilsner flute and it looks just gorgeous.

L: Fine sudsy white head from the pour and lots of it. Lacing in thick bands as it slowly dissipates, lingering eternally as a fine film over the top. The body is an orange honey color; transparent, but speckled with tiny globs of yeast sediment. Even after not disturbing for several minutes, the carbonation keeps the contents churning.

S: Passion fruit, pineapple, mango, tangerine, grapefruit, basil, and pine notes smeared across a plain but present canvas of bready sweetness, like brown rice syrup. Nice aroma.

T: The pine is strong with this one. I also get a good dose of grapefruit rind on the finish. The tropical fruit gets mostly demolished by the bitterness but comes through enough to accentuate what would otherwise be a very forgettable beer.

F: Thick and satisfying, but with an unending clingy hop bitterness. Drinks like a significantly stronger IPA.

O: Not my favorite, but a very good IPA.

Apr 09, 2018
Caleb_the from Arizona

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Got this brew after collaborating with a grocery store's beer and wine manager. He had helped me months before to purchase wine as a gift, as I knew nothing about wine. Recommends Total Domination IPA for those who like the hops, so I thought I'd try it.
I cracked a cold one right out of the fridge, and went in first with the sniffer. Mild smell, hardly notable. Poured a glass and was not excited about the color or head. Very yellow, a bit orange, and traps some light. Some foaminess lingered for the entire experience, like scum in a bath. The taste was sharp, and then bitter. Made for a disappointing IPA experience, and a slight metallic tinge from the taste made it feel cheap, though I picked up a six pack for $9.99. Did I get a bad batch?
The beer didn't stand out, or smell superior, the color of the beer looks good, but didn't reflect the beers performance nicely. Wouldn't buy again, but maybe it should be enjoyed a bit warmer, if there's a next time. I struggled putting this one down, I could have guessed it at first scent. I know this beer isn't what I've learned to enjoy most, but it also had qualities I personally avoid. I would still recommend this to anyone trying lots of IPAs.

Mar 14, 2018
connecticutpoet from Connecticut

2.87/5  rDev -22%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bought this one in Vegas last year and brought it home to drink. Wish I had picked a different beer.

Deep amber, hazy beer with little head and no retention. OK but not a standout beer.

Smell was floral and pine, with an air of skunkiness that I couldn't get away from. Not pleasant.

Taste was resinous and pine with a long bitter finish. Meh.

Mouthfeel was somewhat oily and it coated my tongue... not too pleasantly.

Overall a subpar IPA IMHO. Wish I was back at the Paris Las Vegas so I could pick up a different brew.

Dec 23, 2017
Thymine from Oregon

2.54/5  rDev -31%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Heard good things about this IPA, so I was excited going into this one. Picked up a 22oz bomber, poured into a conical pint glass. Aroma reminded me of a sour beer, and the taste, aside from a general bitterness, was pretty much the same. Very yeasty in flavor. Not sure if I got a bad batch, so I might give it another go, but for now this is a definite no go from me.

Nov 25, 2017
Sabtos from Ohio

Amber with a creamy white foam receding to a thin film leaving layers of lace.

Smell is floral with a hint of orange blossom and pine at first, and some apple and toast following later.

Taste is bitter but delicate pine, while also exhibiting a floral character. Total Domination showcases hops without much fruit, but also without any unwanted off-flavors. It has a slant towards woodiness, and a hint of toast, achieving a really soft balance via a medium body, nice froth, and a semi-dry, slightly bitter finish.

Wild. Is this what a West Coast IPA is truly supposed to be like prior to the abuse and lengthy travel they take to get to us on the other side of the country? I like it.

Oct 10, 2017
edward_boumil from New York

3.35/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pretty standard west coast IPA. Orange and copper in color, not much head retention. Assertive and bitter, mostly pine and resinous with slight hints of orange and grapefruit. If you like west coast IPAs youd probably like this but for me it's like drinking liquid pine tree

Sep 19, 2017
SamQ from Washington

4.94/5  rDev +34.2%

One of the finest IPA style beers I have ever indulged. Flowing, smooth flavor. Not too bitter. Unbelievable presentation upon pour. Flawless head ratio. Perfect pigmentation. Although to be fair, the aroma was lacking. This specimen is by favorite IPA's. Well worth picking up.

Jul 07, 2017
huthuty from Utah

4.57/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a translucent amber, smell is light but delicious. The taste isn't anything special for this class of ales but it is solid, I'm not picking up on the yeast mentioned in some reviews, perhaps the recipe has changed, altogether a very solid ale few could deny

Jul 03, 2017
dsa7783 from New Jersey

3.41/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Joes Stone Crab in Las Vegas. Pours a ruddy copper hue with ample frothing. Mellow aroma replete with hints of citrus and grapefruit. Similar overall flavor profile.

Jul 01, 2017
Lone_Freighter from Vermont

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a becher pint glass, the appearance was a moderately rusty orange sort of color with a finger's worth of white foamy head that slid off at a moderate pace. Light speckled lace.
The aroma had a soft sweet cracker to biscuit to caramel/toffee malt base moving forward over some piney to citrusy and floral hop portions adding a touch of hop spice at the end.
The flavor was moderately sweet but taking that hop spice a bit more forward as it warmed. Some bitterness seemed to blend as it went further down. Aftertaste of the hop spice, some bitterness, and the cracker to caramel malt.
The mouthfeel was between light and medium bodied with a fair sessionability about it. Carbonation felt fine. ABV felt appropriate. Hop spice harshness seemed to hit against the hop bitterness components.
Overall, do-able AIPA, yes West Coast styled and I'd give it another shot.

Jun 23, 2017
Skrumpy from Oregon

3.52/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I used to drink this beer before the whole IPA craze blew up. It was on tap at so many local pubs in my area, and the only IPA at a one time frequented spot. Then I just forgot about it. Revisited opinion: It's ok. Golden amber, mostly clear. Creamy head with streak lacing. Aroma is bread, very ripe fruit, yeast, and some herbal/earthy qualities. The flavor is fruit, yeast, and spice. A tad bit on the bitter side, thick and chewy mouthfeel with a dry finish. Not as well balanced as it could be. There are way better beers out there, but I would rather drink this over so many too. It has at least stood the test of time.

May 09, 2017
Sidd from Georgia

3.57/5  rDev -3%

Smells wonderful, but doesn't feel well balanced, toffee malts, piney bitterness shows up later, cloudy amber, pours with minimal head. Doesn't dominate as expected

Apr 13, 2017
WOLFGEIST from Oregon

3.01/5  rDev -18.2%

I've been drinking this beer for the better part of a decade. It used to be one of my favorites. It was fruity and had layers of floral notes that balanced the extreme hoppiness. I have been drinking whiskey/not drinking beer for the last couple of years and occasionally i'll randomly get a craving for this beer alone. I have fond memories of drinking this and playing Starcraft 2 in 2011-2012.

I decided to pick up a 6 pack while at Fred Meyers (I live in Portland) and noticed the very distinct black and teal label is now replaced with a beautiful painting of a mountain range. While I do like the new label, I do miss the old label, it was very distinctive and unique and allowed me to instantly find this beer. This beer has been about $10 for a six pack as far back as I remember. It was on sale for around $8 which was rare in the past.

To put it frankly I was completely surprised and utterly bummed out to discover that this tasted like an average IPA with no real discerning or unique characteristics that made it so delightful. It was just bitter and had no real features to redeem itself. Is it just me? Did Ninkasi change their recipe? Do they brew larger batches and lose consistency in mixing ingredients? Did they cut out some of the more expensive ingredients? Did they get too big for their britches? Is it an old batch?

Some of the reviews on this site seem to affirm my experience. I may try this again in the future but if it tastes like this batch tastes I will probably never buy it again, sadly, as it was my favorite beer and really the only beer I ever truly craved.

Feb 22, 2017
matcris from Arizona

3.46/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A fairly clear amber, with loads of carb rising, and a 2 finger, foamy head that sticks to the glass, a bit. The aroma is mild grapefruit and orange and same with the flavor. A fair amount of bitterness up front that continues to build and linger. There is enough malt sweetness to basically balance the beer, but it is quite bitter, on the whole. The feel is average carbonation, a little sticky, but, dry on the finish, and medium-ish bodied. Overall, a little too bitter, overall, for me. It stays with you.

Feb 16, 2017
smcolw from Massachusetts

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Large bubble, but small head. It recedes like soda pop on ice. No lace at all. The liquid is orange-amber and cloudy.

The smell is light and slightly off. I'm getting a bit of plastic to the nose. Overall, I'd say this is more malty than hoppy, but neither come through in a solid way.

The malt only shows up in the swallow as a bit of fruity sweetness. It is very brief. The body is thin and the carbonation slightly high. The hop is the story of this beer. It's strong and weedy on the swallow. It creates a long, white pepper-like aftertaste. I get a faint bit of alcohol immediately after the swallow, but the sensation is fleeting.

Feb 12, 2017
rodbeermunch from Nevada

3.56/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Here's another good beer, that when the brewery found increased footprint distribution, the beer suffered as closer accounts got older beer (in my experience). So while this beer can be very good, it also lately has suffered in what you can pull off the retail shelf.

Darker than your average SRM in an ipa, this one also seems low on the head formation and carbonation angle, coming in at around 1/3". The aroma seemed like simcoe, nondescript citrus and pine feels.

Taste is good, total normal ipa feels, high hops, drier body, alcohol and ibus in those 6-7 and 60-70 ranges. Good price on these, they seem to have made some big contractual agreements with chain retailers. Never see these in refrigeration though. They need to bottle date.

Oct 06, 2016