Total Domination IPA | Ninkasi Brewing Company

Oregon, United States
ninkasibrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Ninkasi website:
"6.7% alc./vol. 65 ibus. Always available in 22 oz bottles, and on draft."

Added by grumpy on 08-23-2006

Ratings: 1,478 |  Reviews: 383

This beer tastes like ear wax.

This is horrible. This is not an IPA! It tastes like it's a wheat beer. I'm returning it because it's not what it says it is. I hate wheat beer and I hate this beer. I love hoppy IPAs and this is pure false advertising. Going to the store to return it. I signed up for a BA account just to warn others about this beer. Utterly undrinkable.

Poured it down the drain, and I don't do that very often.

1.5/5  rDev -59%

1.54/5  rDev -57.9%

Bottled: unk

A: copper with near excellent clarity. under a finger of white foam falls to a thick sheet of the same leaving near cobweb lace.
S: Smells of old, english malts. Pretty sure this is old, but based on the fact that no bottle date is present, I will assume this is how they intended it should be. This is a poor presentation.
T: Tastes of bittered malts and some crystal tones. Nothing else really.
M: thin to medium bodied with hi carb. A semi dry finish.
O: This beer is shit. Maybe it's a bad bottle, or an old bottle, hard to say provided this information is not important enough to include on the label.

1.72/5  rDev -53%

1.9/5  rDev -48.1%

Re-review off a bottle purchased at BevMo Mountain View. No bottling date. I'm assuming this is fresh.

[First review: 3.0 / 4.0 / 4.0 / 3.5 / 3.0 (B+)]

A: Pours a hazy copper / orange / gold with a small off-white head that quickly recedes into a film on the glass. The film remains throughout the drink, generously refreshed with active carbonation. No lace.

S: This doesn't have that pungent fruit aroma I remember. Grapefruit, maybe some pineapple, but it's malty and biscuity.

T: Grapefruit, a touch of pineapple, pine. And yet, it's weak and watery in flavor, more malty than hop-forward, and altogether unsatisfying.

M: Weak, watery flavor. I had this right after a Lagunitas IPA, and I was troubled by how disappointingly thin-bodied this beer was in comparison. It just doesn't measure up.

D: This was terrible; I can't figure out if Ninkasi changed their recipe or if this is an old bottle, but it doesn't have any of the characteristics I remember.

2.11/5  rDev -42.3%

2.12/5  rDev -42.1%

My region just started getting Ninkasi so I was pleased to try this very reasonably priced IPA (3.99 for a bomber). I rarely see freshness issues at Whole Foods but who knows. I'll sample this on draft next time I see it just to be *sure* I've reviewed a fresh product. With that said....

A - Clear light copper color. Nice head

S - Lacking any substantial hop aroma. Grainy, a little skunky

T - Mostly bland beery taste, excessively bitter. Not getting any of the west coast hop-forward flavors.

M - Just bone dry and bitter.

D - One could drink this, but it wasn't worth it to me, so I poured it out.

2.13/5  rDev -41.8%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Finger white head. Red-Orange color. Nice looking.

S- Hoppy and wheat smells. Not complex.

T- Bitter all the way down. Bittering hops crush any semblance of a balanced beer.

M- Medium bodied and heavily carbonated. Punch in the mouth.

O- Way too hoppy. It crushes my taste buds.

2.16/5  rDev -41%

22oz. bottle poured into imperial pint glass

A - Brilliantly clear Amber poured with fluffy white head, good lacing and head retention.

S - Biscuity, toffee like aroma. Where o' where have the hops gone? Getting almost zero hop aroma. There is also a very slight skunky/musky smell in there.

T - I get a lot of bittering hop characteristic, but no flavor hop evident. VERY malt forward for an IPA. It is not overly sweet, but definitely leaning to the sweet side of things.

M - Medium bodied beer with good carbonation level. Flavor lingers on the palette.

O - Not my favorite IPA to say the least and very surprising considering the reputation of the brewery. I am hoping that my bottle was just old or not handled properly (thanks BevMo!) and the hops had dropped out. I would be willing to give it another chance if I could get my hands on a fresh sample.

2.27/5  rDev -38%

Live review of a 22 oz bottle.
A: Cloudy amber, it poured with a big fluffy, sticky white head with lacing. If it wasn't cloudy, this would have been a 5.
S: Straw and bananas (like too high of fermentation temperature), slightly grassy and green hops, rye and pumpernickel bread. The hops aren't very strong considering this is an IPA. This kind of smells like they were going for a Belgian IPA and couldn't control the yeast.
T: Straw and pumpernnickel bread, some banana, vodka alcohol and an awkward bitterness on the finish that is not resinous but more herbal. Imagine a Belgian pale ale with an awkward increased bitterness.
M: Thinner than I'd like, with a low carbonation feel that doesn't suit the beer.
O: I wouldn't recommend this, or buy it again.

2.31/5  rDev -36.9%

Too citrusy and sweet for me. The taste, flavor and flow of this beer taste better when consumed from the bottle, no beer-glass/pint needed. After this 6-pack, I'll find something else for myself.

Like The Bro's say, "Okay"..but thats about it for this IPA.

2.46/5  rDev -32.8%

poured from a 650 ml bottle. I haven't really enjoyed the other beers I've tried so far from Ninkasi, so I'm not expecting to love this one, but hopefully it'll be a decent IPA.

A: honey colour, pretty cloudy, a couple fingers of head with decent retention.

S: There's something definitely unappealing about this. Dank and a bit musky, with a slight hint of tropical fruit. To be honest, and I feel like an asshole for saying this, the smell reminds me a little bit of cat urine.

T: Fortunately, the taste is better than the smell! But not that much. Yeast, intense piney/grassy bitterness, the end.

F: Average.

O: I would never buy anything from Ninkasi again. I might end up pouring this one down the drain.

2.49/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I've had better ipa, it's not my favorite but it's not terrible.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%